Letting Off The Happiness Review

8.7
 8.8
 8.6
Letting Off The Happiness Reviewed by: less than that, on october 14, 2003

Sound: Alright this isn't the kind of CD you pick up and love to death immediatly but it grows on you and when it does you won't be able to turn it off. It's pretty soft for the most part but it has a couple of more uptempo songs that are also great. The harmonys on songs like Contrast and Compare are amazing. // 8

Lyrics: Conor Oberst is an amazing lyricst, period. If you listen to the words it will strike a chord with you no matter who you are or how tough you act. The lyrics and music complement each other like peanut butter and jelly and he delivers the words exactly how they should be sung, with emotion and sincerity. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to any other album I've ever heard, it's just that good. From "If Winter Ends" to "Tereza and Thomas" there isn't a bad song on it. The better ones in my opinion are "Padriac My Prince", "The Difference in the Shades" and "A Poetic Retelling of an Unfortunate Seduction". I love the way this album provokes emotion and I listen to it all the time. Although their other albums are also amazing I think this is their overall best so check it out, it's outstanding. // 10

Letting Off The Happiness Reviewed by: basslover014, on october 06, 2005

Sound: The wonderful "Letting Off The Happiness." I personally love this CD, most of the people I know like "Digital Ash In A Digital Urn," or they like "I'm Wide Awake It's Morning." "Letting Off The Happiness" was recorded all on 8-tracks and records in a basement, then Saddle-Creek pu tin on a CD, but you can definitly tell that it is recorded at home. Most like newer CD's but The older Bright Eye's CD's just have an life suck's and I don't care how bad we sound feel to it, Conor has his whiny-emotional voice which adds to the music so much. Don't say you a true Bright Eye's fan unless you have heard this album, "Padraic My Prince" is the reason I love Bright Eye's. // 9

Lyrics: As I said before Conor Oberst has the perfect voice for this CD, I have heard some "preppy" kids talk about how Conor has a horrible voice and all his music sucks, but without his voice it would sounds like Deathcab or Rilo Kiley or something. As for the lyrics, Conor has definitly put every emotion possible in it, including: sex, death, love, jealosy, etc. This album definitly proves that Conor Oberst is one of the best songwriters ever. // 8

Overall Impression: Most people probably wouldn't like this CD, but if you really do like the real "indie" sound or you want to experiment with it, then I would say give it a shot. I would definitly buy another one, it would be my third time buying this CD (gave one to a friend). // 8

More Bright Eyes reviews rating latest review