Count Your Blessings Review

bring me the horizon: Count Your Blessings
Release Date: Oct 30, 2006
Label: Visible Noise
Genres: Rock
"Count Your Blessings" is the debut album from Sheffield's own Bring Me The Horizon, winners of The Kerrang Best UK Newcomer Award.
 Lyrics: 7.6
 8.1
 8.3
 7.8
Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: NFFC_1865, on november 03, 2006

Sound: To be honest I'd have to say that I was not a fan of Bring Me The Horizon's debut EP "This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For..." And if I'm going to be even more honest I could say that I found the discordant fashioncore music they were displaying to be an absolute joke. Fortunately, every band deserves a second chance; and although in past times I would have said that anyone who like this band would have only liked them for their looks, I can now shamefully say that I am a fan of the music this band are displaying. Enough on previous outings, this is a review of Count Your Blessings, and I'd have to say that this is an amazing piece of work. Whilst their previous album boasted a generic-but-slightly-more-discordant variation on metalcore, this album is closer to melodic death metal. However, not the similar-to-metalcore Gotherberg sound. In my opinion Bring me The Horizon play music similar to that of bands such as the Black Dahlia Murder and Between The Buried And Me, treading the line between death metal and metalcore. If Bring Me The Horizon are metalcore, however: then the metal is brutal death and the -core is the most crushing hardcore. // 9

Lyrics: Oliver Sykes has greatly improved his lyrical abilities. However, upon reading the review of This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made for, I have realised that anyone searching for BMTH reviews on this site is going to be met with a barrage of lies from an obvious Horizon fanboy. In the aforementioned review Oli's lyrics have been descrbed as dark, gothic and retrospective. Unfortunately, they are far from it. They are similar to that which I would expect an angsty teenager to write is his or her diary. Fortunately the band have the technical ability, and Oli the sense of humour, to pull this off wonderfully. // 5

Overall Impression: This album is a much more mature effort than their debut EP. The band have showed how a young band can progress in just a couple of years and will surely expand their fanbase beyond the already huge numbers of myspace-whores listening to them now, to "proper" metal fans. If you're into heavy music then you will like this unless you only listen to brutal death metal and kvlt black metal that only 2 guys listen to in their mother's basements; you hate screaming and growling; you've heard their previous work (maybe). I'd say give this album a chance. Yes they won a seemingly undeserved Kerrang award, but this album is more metal than anything else showcased in that magazine. Then again is that saying much? // 8

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: Haunted_Devil, on december 25, 2006

Sound: A few years after the release of their debut EP 'This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For' Bring Me The Horizon bring their debut album to us entitled 'Count Your Blessings'. And fans will notice that their initial sound has changed. They now encorporate more of a death metal type of sound within their songs, but they still manage to make the sound unique to them. All of the musicians in the band have certainley improved their skills and the sound it creates is incredible. // 10

Lyrics: The lyric side of the band hasn't improved dramatically, and steal deals with the situations of struggle and failed love. But the way frontman Oliver Sykes expresses them with his vocals make them sound much more terrible than we could imagine. With lyrics lines such as "She starts her new diet of liqour and dick, just like Hollywood but laced in sick. The sun goes down, and so does she." Let's us know just how pissed this guy is. // 9

Overall Impression: 'Count Your Blessings' is a definite improvement musically for the band, but fans of their older sound might not be too fond of this album. Especially as 2 of it's tracks are short instrumentals that perhaps Oli Sykes just couldn't be assed writing lyrics for. But tracks such as 'Pray For Plagues', 'Liqour & Love Lost' and 'Off The Heezay' are sure to get a goos moshpit going and get the anger and adrenaline pumping for anybody. The thing I love the most about this album is the fact that you couldn't get tired of it quickly, all the songs are either hard, fast or exciting. But the thing I hate most is the two instrumentals that are in there which make the album much shorter. If it were stolen or lost then I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy myself another copy. If death metal is your taste and you like your ears to be battered with double-bass drums, killer guitars and brutal vocals then this album is just for you. // 9

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: chris_white, on march 17, 2007

Sound: When I first heard bring me the horizon, I hated it, with a pashion. I thought I had never heard so much sh*t. That was from there EP, "This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For". This was until a friend of mine recommended I purchase "count Your Blessings". I did, and on first play, I wasn't a fan. As time progressed, so did my love for this album. And it is now one of my favourite albums currently around. Instrumentally, Bring Me The Horizon are simply mindblowing. // 9

Lyrics: I am not a massive fan of screamo, although I do listen to it alot. Oli Sykes is a good screamer, but I am not a fan of his high-pitched screaming. This, in my view, is the one down side to Bring Me The Horizon. The lyrics, on the other hand, are amazing. Each song is deeply meaningful, and something people can relate to. The lyrics fit in perfectly with the music itself. // 5

Overall Impression: Out of the few well known hardcore screamo bands, Bring Me The Horizon are probably the best around. There are few bands around, if any, that can match BMTH's amazing instrumental ability. The stand out songs are "Pray For Plagues", "A Lot Like Vegas", "Black & Blue", "(I Used To Make Out With) Medusa" and "Off The Heezay". If I lost this album, I would definately purchase it again. // 7

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: daddy_warbux, on december 14, 2007

Sound: Bring me the horizon are one of many bands now to fuse Metalcore with elements of Death Metal mixing high-pitched screams with low growls and blast-beats and double bass drumming with great heavy breakdowns and inventively named "Deathcore". BMTH seem to mix really fast sections of songs with slower sections seamlessly and obviously take a lot of time in the arrangement of songs. They're not as technical as some bands of the genre but still the musicianship is superb mixing fast riffs and (not showy) melodic solos with slow breakdowns effortlessly. I instantly loved this album on the first listen and it's just grown and grown on me and I can't get enough of it now! The songs on this album (except for the fantastic "Fifteen fathoms counting", an acoustic song) are unrelentingly heavy, fast and full of time changes and nice rhythms. Count your blessings is also a great album to learn some metal chops on as there are easier bits to start you off, faster legato work (and alternate picking) and some really fast Open-string triplets (Notably on "Tell Slater not to was his dick", "For Stevie Wonder's eyes only" and "Off the heezay"). The guitarists also clearly love pinch harmonics but use them to the best effect of any band I've heard so far. The music differs from their previous EP quite significantly and the music has taken on a much faster, less repetitive form. The drumming has greatly improved and the double-bass drum work in the breakdowns is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Oli Sykes has a really good voice for Deathcore with both amazing High-pitched screams and lower growls and this really comes into its own when all music stops and all you can hear is Oli's low growl (like near the end of "Tell Slater not to wash his dick"). The lyrics are really accessible and once you figure out Oli's voice they're not too hard to decifer. The deal with lots of different things but a recurring theme seems to be bitterness about lost love. There are some Bible references: Pray For Plagues, "So clap your hands to the sound of every first born dying now, watch the rivers flow with blood, death will stand were life once stood." There are also references to Greek mythology and some really great imagery used. The songs are filled with great lines and anyone interested in lyrics should really enjoy figuring out what they all mean. The lyrics fit perfectly in with the music and you can really tell how much effort has gone into arranging the songs. I thought the use of gang-vocals is really well done here and it really allows for some dynamic shifts. Just as with the music you can see how they've matured from the "This is what the edge of your seat was made for" EP. // 10

Overall Impression: As an album, it flows really well with two instrumentals, short fast songs, longer more complex songs and songs that shift tempo a lot. The only criticism I would really have is that the album is a little short with only 10 tracks and a couple of them being under 2 mins. The quality of the music, however, makes up for this and leaves you just wanting more. If this album was stolen then I'd definitely buy several copies just so I didn't have to wait to buy it again if by bad luck it was lost a second time. // 10

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: xFeatherx, on september 06, 2007

Sound: The name Bring Me The Horizon catches your interest first. After you search for a little, you end up coming across their myspace, I have to say, I have been a fan since the EP. The sound is not the most original, to be honest. Oli's screams are put together in this CD, the guitars sound a lot heavier than they actually are, and the drumming lefts a little to be desired. The overall sound is nice, but it is not as original as many would hope. I think that they sound a lot like The Black Dahlia Murder, which is another reason why people should try them. // 8

Lyrics: At first, you won't be able to understand what Oli is saying, but eventually you'll learn the songs meanings. The lyrics are put together very well, and the screaming fits every aspect of it. They're foul mouthed towards past relationships, which just adds to the viciousness. The way the lyrics are written makes it flow along, and is extremely catchy; after a few listens, you'll be singing Medusa in your head. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is great. I believe they could've written a few more songs, or have put some songs off the EP on here, but nonetheless, it's much better than the EP. I love how catchy everything is, and is a must have for deathcore, metalcore, and thrashcore fans. I really dislike how the CD only lasts about 30 minutes, it dissapoints me because I know they could've written more songs. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would buy a new copy, because this is a must have for this genre of music. // 9

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: if.i.could.fly, on january 06, 2007

Sound: This seems slot more death metal than their previous offering, which was more of an 'all out' metal record. The change in style has no impact, I love BMTH so much and this album is great. I like to class them as 'metalcore' and I'm really getting into that stuff atm. The guitarists are amazing and vocals are phenomenal! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very dark without crossing into Cannibal Corpse-type territory, yet almost emo when the occasion calls for it. At times when the lyrics may seem dull, the way they are sung ressurects them entirely. Amazingly metaphoric and thought provoking such as 'I whispered in her ear, fear me dear for I am death' omg love it. // 9

Overall Impression: There are a fair fw other bands who do this stuff obviously, but I dnt think they particularly come close to BMTH. The best songs are probably Braille (previously called 'For Stevie Wonder's Eyes Only' LMAO), (I Used To Make Out With) Medusa and a lot Like Vegas. I love the way all the hardcore madness is broken up by two instrumentals. I just wish there were a couple more tracks. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy it agen because it's on my PC now. But still it's mint. Buy it now. Everybody! // 9

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: SinisterScythe, on december 04, 2007

Sound: This is there latest CD, I have them all, There first CD was a EP and they sounded like a normal death core band. After about a year they stepped it up a notch and switched to deathly vocals and screaming. There sound is strictly the best I have ever heard in the death core category they very different riffs and styles. There CD ''Count Your Blessings'' is one of the best I have ever heard, I loved the sound and the new vocals oli Sykes put into it. This gets a 10. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome a little explicit and violent but it is great, I know they put a lot of effort into writing the lyrics and songs. There song names like "For Stevie's Eyes Wonders Only" are suppose to be who they are so they name it something funny, that's what they do. Oli Sykes the lead singer is one of the best screamers I have seen in the death core name, He has a lot of talent screaming and growling. The first album the EP was just like any other but after about a year oh boy! I love the new sound. // 10

Overall Impression: These guys compare to a lot I'll name like "As Blood Runs Black" they sound a little the same but bring me the horizon has different sounding and vocals a little bit. I am impressed with all the songs on the album with the work they have done with this one, I strictly love the new riffs, guitars, bass, drums and vocals soundings. I love how they put a lot of effort and work into this and what new sound they have discovered. I really don't like how sometimes they use the same style but this is very unlikely. If this CD was stolen of course dude! I'll get a new one this is the best death core CD I have ever gotten, I reccomend this to all the death core fans. // 9

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: TrashWhite731, on february 23, 2008

Sound: This CD is amazing. it's brootal in evry way shape and form. The breakdowns are brootal and the pig reets aren't synthetic, they're all pulled off by BMTH's own Oli Sykes. The double-pedal is intense as are the guitars. BMTH are real, true, and genuine death metal. Yes, they're scene, and proud of it. They're "emo" haircuts look so much better than all that ugly white trash metal hair that many of the bands today think is "metal." // 10

Lyrics: Oli sykes is God! the lyrics on this CD have got to be some of the best in the genre. The lyrics to medusa are tragic and dwell on betrayal. "If you need me I'll be tying a rope to the tree where our love used to be" chills every time. Oli sykes has some of the best pig squeels I have ever heard. He's small, but he can belt out amazing vocals. If you can't see his talent as a vocalist, then you obviously know nothing about music. He is by far the best vocalist in death metal today. // 9

Overall Impression: Bring Me The Horizon are by far the best band in death metal. You can hate all you want on them. But they def. own everyone. Many of the people around my town act like between the buried and me and the human abstract are so good. They're not. Real talent is shown here, with BMTH , and other bands like Drop Dead Gorgeous, Norma Jean, Job For A Cowboy, White Chapel, and other brootal bands with breakdowns. // 10

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: boyan89, on october 08, 2008

Sound: Bring Me The Horizon are a deathcore band that's it. Just generic deathcore. Quite frankly though the guitars deliver a very good punch, the riffs are raw and crunchy, the solos are good but don't seem to be place in the right spot at times, and the chug-chug breakdowns get annoying at times. The drums are nothing spectacular, the only problem is that in every song it seems like the drummer is using the same formula, which is common in deathcore. Bass deliver the heaviness but it nothing really spectacular. Vocal deliverance is not bad, but I really don't enjoy the screaming found here, kind of reminds me of an angry cat. // 7

Lyrics: Okay wow here is a topic to talk about? How old is this guy? Oli, I appreciate your band for the love of music, but all you seem to be talking about in your lyrics is the same thing, getting revenge on someone you loved, or just strangling someone to death, sorry but no originality in them. I don't really see what people these days see that is so great or spectacular about the lyrics, I figure any depressed teenager who's been pissed off about love can write these lyrics, but seriously in this department they need to mature. People can relate to the lyrics if they have been in a very bad relationship, or if they feel like they've been cheated on. Oli, though he just doesn't cut it for me, I don't enjoy it. They should also really cut the non-stop use of the word f--k on almost every song. // 3

Overall Impression: This is nothing but a generic record, I have heard this album over 20 times and just expressing how I feel about. Yes a lot of artists do this nowadays. I can't say I like much about this album except that it's heavy, I hate once again the screaming and the placement of the occasional riffs and most of the solos. The best songs though on this album are Pray For Plagues, and 15 Fathoms Counting because of their instrumentation. If it we're stolen lost I would just download not even bother buying it, or give it to my friend for free who's obsessed with Bring Me The Horizon. I don't know really if your into metal, and want nothing generic stay away from this, I would recommend All Shall Perish, Suffocation, Necrophagist, and Death for some serious death metal stuff. Anyways, a decent attempt, but nothing special. // 5

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: evanfan, on december 12, 2008

Sound: I'll be honest; I detested Bring Me The Horizon on first hearing, probably because I hadn't warmed to that sort of music at that point. But having overcome my great sense of navety, I gave this album a listen, and after that I couldn't stop. Having heard a lot of other deathcore music, I don't think that this album really integrates itself with deathcore generally, but that's not a bad thing. It's quite a unique sound, and BMTH are a unique band. The guitars are blatantly heavily distorted, there's no holding back in order to smoothen off the sound; it's all-out. The drums and bass are also relentless and they mesh together really well with the guitars, and with Oli Sykes's versatile screaming voice. That part is one of my favourites, the vocals. Especially in Pray For Plagues (at 3:57, to be precise), his death growl goes right through you, and it's enough to blow half the metal vocalists known to the planet out of the water. While there are a lot of similarities between each track, no two of them are in any way identical. This does quite well given the fact that the tones of all the instruments and Oli's voice stay pretty much the same throughout the whole 45 minutes of the disc. To be honest, the production on the album isn't earth-shattering, but for a debut album, the band have already sold themselves, and the sound of the music overall is one of the most refreshing I've heard in a while from any band. // 9

Lyrics: Being a deathcore band, the lyrics in the album are quite expectedly about... well, death. What I like in particular about the lyrics, though, is that, unlike a lot of death metal bands, they haven't clogged up each song with the same kind of monotonous, violent, hateful lyrics describing the same manner of death over and over again. No, the concept comes in a different light with each track; some are about revenge ('Braille (For Stevie Wonder's Eyes Only)', 'Off The Heezay'), 'Pray For Plagues' makes references to the apocalypse, and '(I Used To Make Out With) Medusa' tells the story of, well, Medusa. All this with a lot of profanity. That doesn't really negate the quality of the album as such, and it does integrate itself with the actual music. And, to be honest, what did you expect from a rough metal band from the north of England? // 9

Overall Impression: I could listen to this album over and over again and it would take years before I became the slightest bit bored. The brutality of some of it really appeals to me, and while deathcore has started to become quite popular since the early new millennium, BMTH stay, for me, quite unique, and top a lot of the other bands of that genre. I don't really have a favourite song from the album; they all pretty much satisfy my needs for loud, heavy, anger-venting music, but if I would listen to one song first, it would probably (quite conveniently) be the first track, Pray For Plagues. It kicks in very suddenly and kicks off the whole album with style. The way it does begin is quite a smack in the face for anyone who hasn't experienced music of this sort yet. Saying that, that's probably why a lot of people won't like it at first, but I'm sure a lot of people will be able to warm to it, like I did, with a bit of patience, tolerance, and volume control on your iPod. // 9

Count Your Blessings Reviewed by: thetobarmethod, on july 02, 2012

Sound: BMTH had a hit or two off this one. It has more of a death metal tone, with metalcore influences and deathcore riffage in places, but very few true breakdowns. Overall it is very aggressive, spontaneous, but can get predictable and repetitive in places. The songwriting style is basically death metal and metalcore, but even though those are the ingredients for deathcore, its not deathcore, its something entirely its own. BMTH haven't changed the scene or made the music industry shift, but they did come into their own on "Count Your Blessings". I would like to note that although the album is not received well it isn't that bad, but you will definitely get bored with it, if you let yourself listen to it too much. // 7

Lyrics: Death Metal and Metalcore lyrics about killing stuff, and how he'll rip out his ex-gf's throat etc. Etc. Nothing new here. The lyrics fit the music and the screaming is fantastic, even though their thickened in the studio, up until 08 he could actually scream identical to the album minus thickness, but unknown circumstances has caused him to adopt more of a yelling style that is seen more commonly in hardcore and Nu-Metal. Great screaming, top notch, but since this is titled "lyrics" I'm rating the lyrics only. // 5

Overall Impression: Well, when it comes down to it, Bring Me The Horizon's "Count Your Blessings" was a valiant attempt at a debut album, but truly comes at you sub-par when compared to the rest of the metalcore scene. Their follow-ups were much better, but lack the ferocity and "metal" of their predecessor. The singles from the album "Pray For Plagues" and "For Stevie Wonders Eyes Only" are by far, the best on the album in a general sense. The only things I consider good about the album, is its capacity for background noise, and how fun it is to play on guitar, scream, and drums. Other than that, a 6 I would give it out of 10. It has its moments, but kills itself with over-complexity, and repetitiveness in the end. I wouldn't even care if it was stolen to be honest, I would just put the singles on my iPod since the album was eh at best. It kind of let me down compared to the EP that came before it, the EP was actually very, very promising but the album didn't live up to expectations. // 6

More Bring Me The Horizon reviews rating latest review
+ Sempiternal 8.2 07/04/2013
+ There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Sec 7.5 07/14/2011
+ Suicide Season 7.6 07/15/2010