This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For [EP] Review

Bring Me the Horizon: This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For [EP]
Release Date: Oct 20, 2005
Label: Modern Music
Genres: Rock
For a debut 4-track EP, "This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For" is one motherload of hate, anger and power.
review (1) 17 comments vote for this album:
This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For [EP] Reviewed by: Haunted_Devil, on august 26, 2006

Sound: Bring Me The Horizon bring a unique sound to the ears of the listener. They seem to be clashing with a few of the heavier genres of today's music, the few most noticable are metalcore, thrash and hardcore. The band formed in 2004 from the ashes of other failed bands in their local area of Sheffield. They wrote what they wanted to hear and play and gigged constantly to be heard. Surely enough, people soon turned heads and noticed the impact this band were setting. Bring Me The Horizon have helped improve their fanbase through MySpace and have gathered thousands of fans upon the worldwide popular site. Though this debut 18-minute long EP doesn't really feature many clean vocals, the screaming and growling that Oli Sykes brings to the record and the band are truly spectacular. But with the lack of clean vocals, this may not appeal to everyone. But with pounding drum beats, dirty distorted guitar tones, and low heavy bass lines, this makes Bring Me The Horizon and a juggernaut of a band and a force to be reckoned with. Many metal and screamo fans will be pleased with the sound it delivers. // 9

Lyrics: Oli Sykes lyrics seem to be from a very dark and gothic retrospective. It seems very obvious that he has a lot of hate and demons that he wants to get off of his chest. In the opening track 'RE: They Have No Reflections', the closing lyrics are: "I hate all my friends!". Not the most pleasant and welcoming statement to make. But it gets his anger across and the impression this band are trying to set. Personally I think the lyrics are amazing. He writes about various different events and situations we go through in everyday life and tells them in his own original way, but still gets his message across to the listener. Oli Sykes lets you know that the world is not a pretty place to be in, and it's not all flowers, love and sunshine all the time. // 10

Overall Impression: For a debut 4-track EP, This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For is one motherload of hate, anger and power. Though it only has 4 tracks that last about 18 minutes long, it is a powerful debut and one of the best debuts to be released in a long long time. Once I listened to this EP for the first time I just couldn't stop. I still listen to it constantly to this day and Bring Me The Horizon are one of the best bands out that are in their genre. All 4 tracks on this EP are very impressive. 'Traitors Never Play Hangman' sets a form of anger into your system you never thought existed. Even the title of the EP itself tells you what to expect from the CD. The thing that I love most about this album is the fact that all the tracks are all equally impressive in their own way. They all each have their own touch which makes them their own. The one thing I hate about this EP is nothing to serious, it's the fact that it has only 4 tracks and only lasts 18 minutes long. But for the price of 5.99 it's a bargain! If I were to ever have this album stolen from me or if I had lost it then I would not give it a second thought, I would either hunt the theif down and smash their face in or I would buy another copy A.S.A.P. If you're a fan of metal/metalcore/thrash/hardcore/screamo then I would definitley class this as an essential purchase to add into your music collection! // 10

More Bring Me The Horizon reviews rating latest review
+ That's The Spirit 5.9 09/16/2015
+ Sempiternal 8.2 04/01/2013
+ Count Your Blessings 8.1 07/02/2012
+ There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. 7.5 10/06/2010
+ Suicide Season 7.6 12/01/2008