Broadway Calls Review

artist: broadway calls date: 09/16/2009 category: compact discs
broadway calls: Broadway Calls
Released: Jul 9, 2007 / Mar 18, 2008 (Re-Issue)
Genre: Pop Punk, Punk Rock
 6.7
 8.3
 5.1
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Broadway Calls Reviewed by: mattrice92, on september 16, 2009

Sound: The second full-length from this pop-punk trio, this album is full of golden catchy tunes. There is admittedly little more than standard power chords and melodic lead lines, but a full listen will show that although there's nothing groundbreaking going on here, every track somehow has its own identity. Tracks like "Call It Off," "Back To Oregon," and "Classless Reunion" are sure to leave any pop-punk fan singing along for days. (I literally spent a 10-day trip to New York roaming the city and listening to almost nothing but this album.) // 8

Lyrics: Again, there's nothing abstract or Shakespearean here, but I find the lyrics on this album to be very honest and real. With the exception of "Suffer the Kids," there is not much of the sociopolitical criticism that seems to be the biggest cliche of this scene. Lines like "I've got a plan/I've got it dripping down my forehead in the shape of a bead of sweat/How sweet would my life be if I wrote the songs the kids could not forget? (Van Rides and High Tides)" remind us of childhood rock star dreams, something everyone can relate to, and then sobers it up with, "But the self-appreciation is lame/It's not charming or cute anymore/Who am I kidding?/We're sleeping on floors and the summer's almost over." As I mentioned, the lyrics on this album are real-life things and not gripes about conservatives and mainstream music like many of us are used to hearing. Albeit, they very much so give off a teenager sort of feel, but I'd honestly rather hear that than backseat politics. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists of the like, it seems that Broadway Calls really know that less can be more. There are no gimmicks, only honest lyrics, raw instrumentation, and infectious-as-the-swine-flu melodies. (There is piano on a cover of The Smiths' "A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours," however, and horns on "So Long My Friend.") Highlight tracks, in my opinion, are "Call It Off" - I heard them play it at Warped Tour last year and was hooked - "Back To Oregon," "Van Rides and High Tides," and "Classless Reunion." If you are a fan of Green Day, Blink 182, pop-punk in general, or are just looking for something new, I definitely recommend this album. It is, without a doubt, one of the best pop-punk albums I have ever heard, coming from someone who listens to just about everything without passing quick judgement. // 9

Comments