Into The Mouth Of Badd(d)ness Review

9.7
 8.8
review (1) 22 comments vote for this album:
Into The Mouth Of Badd(d)ness Reviewed by: hobo467, on october 18, 2007

Sound: For those of you who are unaware, Brown Brigade is a metal band consisting of Dave Baksh, formerly of Sum 41, his cousin, Vaughn Lal, and two of his friends. Sum 41 fans will find this album a lot like Does This Look Infected, and fans of Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth will thoroughly enjoy this album. You can especially see Maiden in this album, including the fact that the guys covered 'Hallowed Be Thy Name" on here. This is the album that every metalhead who liked Chuck really wanted. This album has everything; a storyline (consisting of the Brown Knight and his pursuit of justice), blasting Marshall stacks, Gibson guitars and screaming leads reminiscent of the good old days of British heavy metal. Dave expresses a lot of musical freedom on this disk in comparison to Sum 41 disks; this guy can shred. Songs such as "Make Way Fe De Fout' Dem" and "Purebread" will clarify just how good he is. The other players aren't too shabby, either; it should be especially noted that Johnny No-Triggers is an awesome drummer. You may have your preconceived notions about a punk player going metal, but these guys are the true heavy metal revival you shredders were hoping for. // 10

Lyrics: First off, Dave is not only a freakin' sweet guitarist, he has an incredible voice for the genre. It blends in with the music absolutely perfectly, with the ability to have that metal growl on deeper notes and to eliminate the rasp on higher notes. The lyrics are quite socialist in view; Dave constantly sings of how the poor are marginalized, and other related socio-political commentaries and viewpoints. If he isn't singing about that, then it's pretty much amusing, nonsensical lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: While Brown Brigade have made an amazing album, one has to wonder if the only reason it's so amazing is because it's been done before. My view is that they've taken classic metal and added a very slight touch of punk, with afair bit of classic thrash metal for edge. To me, every song stands out, and it would be difficult to pick out only a few. There's nothing really to hate about the album; it's the thing I always wanted to hear from Dave in Sum 41, but couldn't due to the pop-punk nature of the band. Obviously, if stolen, I'd be seriously pissed; I probably wouldn't get it again, considering it's on my computer, but if the files ever got deleted, I'd definitely buy it again, no question. To conclude, if you like metal, get this album, end of story. It's the old-style metal, updated slightly, but not so much that it's called 'selling out. // 10

Comments