Tyranny Of Souls Review

artist: bruce dickinson date: 02/11/2006 category: compact discs
bruce dickinson: Tyranny Of Souls
Released: May 24, 2005
Genre: Rock
Tyranny Of Souls will satisfy the appetites of most Maiden fans until their next album appears.
 9.7
 9.8
 9.6
Tyranny Of Souls Reviewed by: nihilus, on may 05, 2005

Sound: The sound on this new album is amazing. The music carries a sort of medieval theme. Bruce's soaring vocals are as amazing as ever and the song 'Believil' has the most amazing chorus. The guitar riffs are quite impressive in some places but they are no match for Bruce's earlier song in which adrian smith played guitar for it, but none the less, the album has a good sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are some of the best bruce has ever written. A theme is carried throughout the album of the medieval view of hell and this is evident in his amazing lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is absolutely amazing and worth buying. It's so different from Bruce's Iron Maiden work yet still some of the best songs he has ever written. This album should definately be added to everyones collection. // 10

Tyranny Of Souls Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2005

Sound: The production on 'Tyranny Of Souls' is amazing! Just like Priest's 'Angel Of Retribution' (also produced by Roy Z) the record sounds fantastically heavy due to the high production levels. Everybody knows that Bruce Dickinson always sings brilliantly but I'd say this album shows off his voice more than 'Dance Of Death' ever did. The songs seem to breath a bit more easily and suit Bruce's voice easily. I haven't heard a record that is heavier than this, seriously! Songs range from Heavy metal (Abduction) to hard rock (Devil On A Hog) to mellow acoustic moments (Navigate The Seas Of The Sun). It is a varied album so its very interesting to listen to. Oh yeah, Roy Z a shred geetar god? Hell yeah! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, as usual, are utterly mind blowing. Dickinson is a complete genuis as people will know from 'Chemical Wedding.' The general lyrics consist of Brucey's fascination with hell and death (we wouldn't have it any other way). My favourite lyrics are in 'Kill Devil Hill,' the title track (where he sings lines from macbeth) and 'Power Of The Sun.' // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say that 'Chemical wedding' is Bruce's shining moment but this is still absolutely brilliant. My favourite tracks are the title track, 'Power Of The Sun' (any Maiden fans will love it), 'Navigate The Seas Of The Sun,' Abduction' and 'Kill Devil Hill.' But all the songs are good even Believil (which is quite frankly weird). I think that if Adrian Smith was in the album it would be better (kick ass guitarist) but I am happy with the record as it is. Brilliant songs, amazing guitar riffs this album has it all. Highly recommended. // 10

Tyranny Of Souls Reviewed by: ooblah, on february 11, 2006

Sound: First of all, to be honest I got a little edgy when I heard Bruce taking time away from iron maiden and making a solo album for some reason. I thought that if it wasn't anything short from brilliant then I would be very dissapointed with the decision. But when I heard Abduction I completely shut my mouth, and I was very, very shocked. This was a heavey ass album, what those guys say about the production quality was right. It's the clearest I have ever heard Bruces voice in all this career. Every instrument was perfectly equilized to the point where you could hear every little thing come through your speakers. As far as sound and quality goes, Bruce did nothing but short up and I am thankful for that. // 10

Lyrics: Steve's lyrics that he wrote for Bruce in the past have always been excellent, but to be honest it was a fresh breath of air to here an entire album of just Bruce. He had already proved his talent with words with Maiden in songs here and there (when Steve would let him), and he took the oppurtunity to really write his heart out on this record. You can tell by the words that he has a brilliant mind, and that he has fascinated with philisophical things such as afterlife and death. His voice is still amazing, a lot musicians at his age just lose it and can't do it anymore. The way his voice worked perfectly over Roy Z's tone really shocked me, I had never heard Bruce sing over that hard of a sound before and it was a wonderful break. Writing in the songs "Abduction" and "Navigate The Seas Of The Sun" were amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I think in the beginning I was sure that this record wouldn't turn out well and that it would just sound like more Maiden. But I really feel like I was proved wrong. He carried their style and merged it with this group, and came up with something a lot different than Maiden. If you enjoy heavy metal, Maiden, or anything else he has done, this record is an obsolute must! Don't be me and doubt it without even giving it a listen. If anything it will keep me tied over until the next Maiden album comes out. Great for the collection, I give it a ten again. // 10

More Bruce Dickinson reviews rating latest review