The Usurper [EP] Review

Brutalody: The Usurper [EP]
Released: Aug 14, 2013
Genre: Melodic Death Metal
Label: Self-released
For a local group, Brutalody pack the punch that you'd expect from someone more well known.
 8.6
 8.7
 8.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Usurper [EP] Reviewed by: Shiookami, on february 14, 2014

Sound: I was very impressed with the overall talent of this band. For a local group, they pack the punch that you'd expect from someone more well known. Even for a three track demo, Brutalody shows their true strengths and what they have to offer with this. "Ending the Beginning" was the first track, and already I know I'll enjoy the instrumentals. Max and Richard really show their guitar strength, then A.E. Vasa really hits it hard as his highs come into play and dominate the track for a whopping 18 seconds of a controlled growl down to the lowest spectrum. If I didn't know they had one singer, I would think it was two separate vocalists doing the high and low growls. Listening more for guitar they go into the technical side of death metal, as the drums blast away in controlled rhythm. If you're a solo type of guy you'll love this record. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are standard heavy and death metal music, speaking of the end of worlds and destruction of mankind. However, Vasa's writing on the album really makes it Brutalody's own, like they're the only ones who can write this. "None left to surmise this sacrosanct fallacy, kept beneath the silence of secrecy forever" is a line in the song, talking about corruption in leaders (I think) saying that these problems are too embedded into society to change them so they'll keep it all under wraps. Unfortunately, the song says that it's too late and these things won't be able to go back. All three tracks go into depth on much deeper topics. If you grab this album grab a dictionary, it's going to be a brutal but enlightening ride. // 8

Overall Impression: Though I went into details on only the first track, I must add that my favorite from the album was "Sonic Lust," the second track. It was a heavy overall album though and reviewing each song could take me all day, it's a band I know will interest me for a while. I love the album for all of it's twist and turns, nothing about the album really struck me as weak. Which, honestly, is a rarity among local bands. The guitar and vocals match up well during the choruses and pre-choruses and nothing ever strays from the topic they have at hand in each song. If someone stole this album I would have to kill him because it's way too good of an album to give up. // 9

Comments