11 Review

bryan adams: 11
Release Date: Mar 17, 2008
Label: Polydor
Genres: Pop/Rock, Adult Contemporary, Album Rock
The album is pure pop-rock, something he's been holding back on as of late.
 8.4
 7.7
 9.1
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
11 Reviewed by: Sloopy, on march 29, 2008

Sound: With "11" Bryan Adams has come full circle. His earlier records (Reckless, Cuts Like A Knife, etc.) are pure pop-rock. 11 embodies everything that made him a star. Simple-yet-catchy hooks, everyman-style lyrics, and great singles. The album is pure pop-rock, something he's been holding back on as of late. Recorded at the Warehouse Studio in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, "11" was also produced by music mogul Mutt Lange, someone who's been praised for his polished production style. While that can sometimes hold back a record it really fits, that's the important thing with "11," it just fits. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically Adams is no master, he's never been and he never will be. What he does excel at, however, is writing down the common feelings of a population that's growing up. They were his fans as teenagers in the '80s, and while he ages they age too. Sure they lyrics can be syrupy sweet, but with his trademark rasp Bryan gives an edge to even the lamest of lines. As I said before, the entire record just seems to fit. It's not a niche album, but it and it's lyrics attract a certain group of people who yearn for strong melodies with thin lyrics. That being said, saying "I love you" in a song never hurt anybody. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall "11" doesn't disappoint, it doesn't impress, but it doesn't disappoint. While this is no thundering comeback, we as Bryan Adams fans are glad to have him back. Highlight tracks are the power-pop "Oxygen", the string-laden "Mysterious Ways", and the typical Adams uplifter, "I Ain't Losin' The Fight". As for a worst track, it is by far "Somethin' To Believe In". The song has captured a sense of nostalgia, cheesy, dated nostalgia, overcast by lyrics and music that try way to hard. Perhaps a stripped down, ambient, acoustic-based approach would be better. I wouldn't rebuy this record if it was stolen, but I wouldn't like it if it was. "11" is by no means a classic, but it is a nice listen if you're driving and not trying to think too hard about the music. // 8

More Bryan Adams reviews rating latest review