Cuts Like A Knife Review

bryan adams: Cuts Like A Knife
Release Date: Jan 1983
Label: A&M
Genres: Rock & Roll, Pop/Rock, Album Rock, Arena Rock
Adams would finally achieve chart-topping perfection on his next release Reckless, but Cuts Like a Knife comes pretty close.
 6.7
 7.7
 5.7
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Cuts Like A Knife Reviewed by: Doowhop, on march 28, 2008

Sound: First off, I'd like to include some background info on one of BAs rather old records. It was first published in 1983 at A&M Records, California, USA. This record is a classic in my collection. Just took it out to see if it still runs, and hell yeah, it does. If you know Bryan Adams, you know that rusty, smoke-drink-roar-barf kinda voice that always makes me feel happy. You know the unmistakeable guitar riffs and solos (like on "Cuts Like A Knife", "I'm ready" etc) and you might just recognize that typical (80's) style of rock & roll music. Which I think is great. But Adams proves his musical genius with ballads also, like "Straight from the Heart" where he's playing the piano. Or "The best was yet to come", where a keyboard is used to produce organ sounds. This record is a hidden treasure, so it's a must-checkout. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics wangle around being in love, about relationships between guy & girl, about the feeling when being together, a little reflecting of earlier times and what one might do for a loved one. Okay, seems worn out and boring, but still, Adams' catchy composing and arrangements of lyrics and the music, makes "Cuts Like A Knife" a good piece of rock & roll tunes. The booklet is nothing special, it includes the lyrics to all 10 tracks and some picture. // 6

Overall Impression: The record is definitely Bryan Adams-specific, you just have to know that voice and guitar riffs. What's interesting to me, is that Adams produced almost all of his work on his own, with a little help every here & there (CLAK: Adams and Bob Clearmountain). I happen to own a full discography collection of Bryan Adams, still this record is one of my favorites to listen to. It's just a small digest of all the great work Adams has done in his life, yet it's worth to be played to your friends, family or everyone that likes some rock music. Thumbs up for this record. Bryan Adams for President. (Obama for Vice). // 8

More Bryan Adams reviews rating latest review