The Shredding Tears Review

Bryan Scary: The Shredding Tears
Release Date: Oct 31, 2006
Label: Black & Greene
Genres: Rock
"The Shredding Tears" is a true original, a fuming new vision of rock's potential, and essential listening for fans of The Beatles, The Move, XTC, and The Fiery Furnaces.
 8.9
 7.7
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
The Shredding Tears Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2006

Sound: An amazing and intricate blend of 60's pop symphony and smooth and clever songs, coming into an hour in length with 15 songs in total, with no time to waste, I have to say, Bryan Scary - The Shredding Tears. Beautifully embellished songs all created by one man, Bryan Scary, a 23 year old with only one release, and it's absolute perfection. Each song reaches it's opus in the right timing, one of my favorite being the breakdown in Operaland, one of the more prog-pop-rock. The album squeezes everything it needs in one breath with nothing to spare, in fact, when you're done with the album, chances are when you gasp for air again, you'll want to listen again. // 10

Lyrics: I have some personal thoughts of what the lyrics are about. Definitely a concept album, signaled by the multiple times Bryan sings his new band's name, "The Shredding Tears." "Straight from our hearts to your ears, it's The (fabulous) Shredding Tears," said at the beginning and end of the album. "The Shredding Tears have come to play." "The gentleman on the piano is the vocalist from The Shredding Tears, let's give a round of applause." Right now, I'm incredibly unsure, I think the album is told by George, who narrates the tracks. It has to do with death as well, there's an Up and Over Stairwell (heaven), and there's Hell. Heaven seems to be the place of profit, while Hell is for consolement from loneliness. Don't worry, as dark as it may sound, the lyrics are inredibly lighthearted and warm, strangely. Oh and his voice is fab. He can sing low, high, sideways, up and over, down, and a million other different ways. My favorite moments are the "Pink Floyd"-esque cartoony shouts that can be found a lot in The Up and Over Stairwell. // 10

Overall Impression: If it compares to only one band and album, it's The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's. It's a refreshing mix of bouncy The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, and ELO. All of the songs have their own qualities, I sincerely cannot pick. Do I love the album, with obsession, almost passion? Absolutely. If stolen, I'd kill the person who stole it because it was a pain in the ass getting the real album, meaning, not from iTunes. // 10

Comments