Colma Review

buckethead: Colma
Released: March 24, 1998
Genre: Rock
Tones: Stylish, Restrained, Laid-Back/Mellow, Lush, Enigmatic, Dramatic
Styles: Fusion, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Heavy Metal, Experimental, Club/Dance, Funk Metal, Guitar Virtuoso, Progressive Metal
 9.2
 8.8
Colma Reviewed by: Zombat, on may 06, 2004

Sound: The music that Colma produces is an odd mix of guitar solos and heavy bass beats. The slow, but interesting music is something great to listen to for working or for sleeping; its unobtrusive and seductive, and you don't notice when the tracks change. Its mesmerising, like Tibetan Monks, and excellent for fatigue/depression. // 8

Lyrics: No lyrics ... not really applicable, so I'll give it a 5 // 10

Overall Impression: Whitewash and Machete were some of the best songs in the album if you want to listen to one or two. But each song reguardless casts its own woozy atmosphere that fades softly to the next, and unless you're listening to the ablum diligently, songs will blur into one another. If you're a fan of lyricless music for chilling or working, Colma is a great album. I'd be pissed if the CD got stolen, and definitely re-buy, Its great for taking naps. // 8

Colma Reviewed by: Jelly Man, on february 03, 2010

Sound: There is a great use of a constant drumbeat through out the tracks. These drum beats are very simple yet effective and give it that creepy/ambient effect along with Buckethead's amazing guitar playing. This album really blew me away when I first heard it and I think it is amazing that Buckethead makes each of his albums sound different (this one being one of his very calm ones). According to wiki this song was dedicated to his mum while she was ill. Although the music is very calming it also has a creepy and emotional feel to it which is what makes it a great album. // 10

Lyrics: There are no lyrics in this album but Buckethead is a solo guitarist, not a singer. If there was singing in this I don't think I would have liked it as much because it would just take away some musical feel to it and bring it down slightly but seeing as it doesn't makes it great. // 10

Overall Impression: I personally think that this is one of his greatest albums out of the 20+ he has and whenever I feel like chilling out this album is always my first choice to put on. Songs such as Machete has amazing solos in it which are not just stupidly fast like some of his other music. A lot more easier on ears which don't have a wide music taste range. // 9

More Buckethead reviews rating latest review
+ Electric Tears 9.7 05/06/2014