Decoding The Tomb Bansheebot Review

buckethead: Decoding The Tomb Bansheebot
Release Date: Jan 15, 2008
Label: Tdrs
Genres: Rock
Decoding The Tombs Of Bansheebot is another great wedge from Buckethead showing his great versatility, songwriting, and guitar playing in general.
Decoding The Tomb Bansheebot Reviewed by: TJM2482, on february 08, 2008

Sound: This being my first Buckethead album, I was quite surprised. I expected an all-out metal attack, considering his appearance and reputation for being of the most technical instrumental guys out there. Seeing articles on him, his influences, being taught by Paul Gilbert, along with the ever popular single 'Jordan', I expected an album completely different. What I received was an album that's simply beautiful. It's a clever mixture of the heavy metal riffage I expected, along with smooth, melodic, emotional interludes scattered among s few of the tracks. It's a great change of pace from other instrumental guys, it just has a different mix of sound. If you're expecting Satriani, Vai, or Malmsteen, you're in for a pleasant change of pacing that isn't necessarily better or worse, it's just different. I would say that the only real "negative" is that this great soundscape gets somewhat redundant to the point where you expect him to break down into slightly overdriven chords, whereas is feels more natural and unexpected in the early parts. It's all good music, it just loses some of it's appeal towards the end. // 9

Lyrics: In the instrumental rock genre, it's obvious that the attention is automatically drawn to the virtuosos at hand. Some guys really pull of the instrumental sound, some making you almost forget the vocals aren't there. Buckethead surprisingly (to me) does a solid job doing this, but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as Gilbert, Petrucci (solo), or Satch. It gets close, but it just falls a tad short. I don't really expect a bucket-toting, mask-wearing mystery such as Buckethead to go around singing ballads, but then again I didn't expect his guitar parts to be as emotional or vocal as they are. // 8

Overall Impression: This album really opened up my eyes to Buckethead. I can see why his fans really do love his work. It's a breath of fresh air in the instrumental rock/guitar genre, a style of it's own. When you consider the man behind the soundscape of mayhem being presented to you, it almost makes the music even more interesting. It's all part of the hype and mystery behind him; a collection of stories, rumors, and fascination that seems to draw people to check him out. To be completely honest I just put this album on and let it play through until I get bored with it, so I'm not too familiar with many of the names of the songs. Some standouts include "Sail On Soothsayer", "Stretching Lighthouse", and "Ghost Host". I can't really stress enough that it's a different experience compared to other virtuoso stuff, for which I really recommend this album. It tends to get old quicker than many albums, but it's got enough quality and emotion in it to stick out in my mind. // 9

Decoding The Tomb Bansheebot Reviewed by: TheTroy, on august 07, 2008

Sound: Buckethead has once again released a new album with such a great sound to it that prooves he is certainly one of the best guitarists out there. This album has such a beautiful sound, but is mixed with the fast shredding and rock that we know and love from him. It really shows all the sides of Buckethead's style. His slower and really graceful or relaxing style (example is "Sail On Soothsayer"), and his amazing rock/guitar shredder style with all different kinds of great catchy riffs to listen to (such as "Ghost Host", "Killing Cone", and "I Can Only Carry 50 Chickens At A Time"). // 10

Lyrics: Well seeing as Buckethead doesn't sing I can't exactly say anything about the lyrics. Or can I? I think that his guitar playing on this album pretty much sings its own lyrics. The riffs he use just "sing" with such amazingly wrote "words". I can just hear it now. The guitar just "singing" with amazing "lyrics". // 8

Overall Impression: This album just simply amazed me. I loved it with a passion. It really brought out the best of Buckethead. I loved how it showed all sides of what Buckethead knows about making music, which is certainly a lot. The songs that really caught my attention include the following: Ghost Host, Killing Cone, I Can Only Carry 50 Chickens At A Time, Stretching Lighthouse, and Sail On Soothsayer. If any of you who are reading this don't have Decoding The Tomb of Bansheebot then I'm telling you this right now, go buy it! Immediately. You will love it. // 10

More Buckethead reviews rating latest review
+ Electric Tears 9.7 05/06/2014