Giant Robot Review

artist: buckethead date: 07/12/2007 category: compact discs
buckethead: Giant Robot
Release Date: 1994
Label: Sony
Genres: Experimental Rock, Fusion, Experimental, Heavy Metal, Funk Metal, Guitar Virtuoso, Progressive Metal, Prog-Rock/Art Rock
This is 73 minutes of great guitar music. Fans of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai will eat this up.
 9.1
 8.7
 9.4
review (1) 30 comments vote for this album:
Giant Robot Reviewed by: *kas, on july 12, 2007

Sound: I loved the sound and style of this album. Buckethead puts forth an excellent blend of catchy riffs and crazy, unique solos that are fast and often covered with effects, but still distinguishable from one another. What really brings a unique touch to this album is the lyrics, if you could call them that, which I'll get to in the next section. // 9

Lyrics: My feeling when I first started listening to these songs was that lyrics wouldn't really live up to the guitar or fit in with the style of music. Instead of lyrics, Buckethead opted for funny voice clips thrown between riffs and at the end of songs. These range from a fake newscaster, to a little girl talking, to a screaming rant by "centipede woman" and many more. They're unique and fun to listen to but on some tracks they feel a bit annoying/intrusive. For the most part, they're well placed and well done. // 8

Overall Impression: I can't think of any other artists who I'd compare to Buckethead. Just about every single song contains a very unique, impressive solo. I think the best song might be the first real song, Welcome to Bucketheadland, it's a faced pace song with very catchy riffs and impressive solos. My only real complaints about this album are the funny voices. In a track like I Come in Peace they go well with the song, but in tracks like Post Office Buddy they're quite intrusive and you'll find yourself wishing they were gone altogether. Overall it's a well done album. I've listened to it several times so if it were stolen or lost I'd honestly just want to check out some of Buckethead's other CDs. // 9

More Buckethead reviews rating latest review
+ Electric Sea 9.4 07/31/2012