Monsters And Robots Review

artist: buckethead date: 11/24/2006 category: compact discs
buckethead: Monsters And Robots
Released: Apr 20, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Fusion, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Heavy Metal, Experimental, Funk Metal, Guitar Virtuoso, Progressive Metal
It may not be completely consistent, but Monsters and Robots offers more than enough musical derangement to satisfy.
 Lyrics: 6.5
 7.9
 8.8
Monsters And Robots Reviewed by: eyehatepop89, on may 23, 2005

Sound: The experimental shredder did a great job with this album. I was really impressed with the way he can go into so many different types of music and yet keep a signature tone that he has. The album cover is great, some really trippy stuff on the front. This album ranges from techno-metal (Jumpman), to straight out strange (Sow Thistle), even to horror-influenced rap (The Shape vs. Buckethead). You name this album has probably got a little bit of it in there. I was really impressed with it. // 10

Lyrics: It's Buckethead. What? You were expecting lyrics? That's not exactly his department. Even when he does have lyrics they're all pretty strange. So I guess since I love strange I'll give it a 4. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't think it really compares with his other albums. He's done alot better stuff in the past i.e. Bucketheadland. The most impressive songs are Ballad Of Buckethead, Jumpman, Stick Pit, Stun Operator, and the song with the best solo, Nun Chuka Kata. I hate the fact that it doesn't compare to anything else he's done. Nothing really jumps out and grabs you with his album. If it were stolen I think I'd be sad and try and get it again, not for the CD but simply because I like to collect his CDs, even though this one didn't impress me. // 6

Monsters And Robots Reviewed by: sicformyage, on november 24, 2006

Sound: The Music itself was OK, there was a lot of sampling and scratch, especially on the last track 'Nun Chaka Kata'. Although on most of the songs there would be some great riffs. I really liked the riffs on 'Jowls' and 'Revenge Of The Double-man'. Basically I'm trying to say if you look hard enough, look through the sampling and random scratching It's pretty good music. Unless you like wierd computer sounds or 'robot sounds' as Buckethead calls them, then you sorta have to. // 7

Lyrics: Well, since Buckethead needs both hands for playing guitar, he cannot hold up Herbie to talk, there isn't much singing. Bootsy Collins sings on a few tracks which is kinda cool because I like Bootsy's style. The lyrics don't usually mean much, like on 'Jowls' sounds like Brain Mattia saying "Save Me The Slug!" witch is kinda random. The singer's don't have much talent along the lines of actual singing. // 5

Overall Impression: From what I've heard from Buckethead, witch isn't much, I think Colma would be a better album. I plan to buy it next. I think the most impressive songs by BH are probably 'Night Of The Slunk' and 'Jump Man' although they arn't my favorite. I do love Bucketheads sence of humor on some of the songs. I don't love some of the random tapping he does, It only sometimes fits in with the music and it gets old. // 6

More Buckethead reviews rating latest review
+ Electric Tears 9.7 05/06/2014