Slaughterhouse On The Prairie Review

buckethead: Slaughterhouse On The Prairie
Released: Jan 30, 2009
Genre: Experimental Rock
Label: TDRS Music
Slaughterhouse on the Prairie is the twenty-fifth solo album by avant-garde guitarist Buckethead.
 7.3
 8.6
review (1) 35 comments vote for this album:
Slaughterhouse On The Prairie Reviewed by: Brian 1.0, on february 11, 2009

Sound: The usual Buckethead sound. Abstract, crazy, super dirty at times but also super clean. I'll rate every song by once, this is my second time through the album. 01."Lebron": gave me chills with the intro riff, great way to start the album. Dedicated to basketball play James LeBron, this song is groovy, dirty and has some very catchy riffs in it. This was released with Lebron's Hammer under an album name "Home For The Hemmorage" on Lebron's Birthday. 10/10 02."Lebron's Hammer": another dedication, released with Lebron. A thick barrage of heavy metal riffs with soft interludes makes this another catchy tune I'd listen to again. The end solo is especially memorable; he's incorporated a few new techniques if you listen closely. 9.5/10 03."Blood Bayou": a very abstract track. Highly dissonant intro, I couldn't say I really liked it on my first of second listen, but I do like a few riffs in here. 3/10 04."Iceman - (Dedicated to George Gervin)": abstract sound to it -- Really great track. Buckethead really works out his alternate picking in this track with a lot of cool runs. 8/10 05."Don't use Roosts If You Raise Broilers": abstract, funky, and super catchy at times. Very enchanting track, even the sound effects sound great. The riff at around 2:35 is so classic Buckethead, it's worth more listens. 9/10 06."Robot Checkerboard": highly dissonant intro...no, just highly dissonant throught. I really couldn't say much for it. Definitely one of my least favorite on the albums...although it does ceartinly sound like a robot. 3/10 07."Premonition": super awesome track. One of the best for sure. Great mix of clean and heavy riffage. 8/10 08."Crouching Stump Hidden Limb": annoyingly dissonant intro instead of just usual dissonant. Breaks into a cool funk/progressive riff. The whole song has that general mood, even a little Jazz in there. The dissonant parts in here are also really damn cool sounding. 6/10 09."Goat Host": pretty good...another bad intro though. It gets much better as it goes on. Worked out palm-muted picking solo breaks into a great slap solo. Great job overall, I forgive the intro. 7/10 10."The Stretching Room": I don't know. Don't really like this song at all. It sounds terrible until a cool slap part, then the rest sounds bad until a cool metal riff comes on, then goes back to not trying. Really unimpressive track for the rest of the way. THE WORST on the album. 1/10 11."Pumpkin Pike": the mix of dissonant sounds in this song are sort of catchy but other riffs are just absolutely nasty. You can probably figure them out. The regular Buckethead-esque riffage and playing...not impressed. 4/10 12."Collecting Specimens": kinda cool, there's a lot of really good parts and really weird parts to this song, that once again are just simply way to dissonant. 5/10 13."Rack Maintenance Part 2": ahh, The Part 2 from "Rack Maintenance" from the great album "Kaleidoscalp." I'm a guy that believes that "Rack Maintenance" was probably the best song on that album. While the last minute of this song is a perfect outro, didn't enjoy anything before that. 5/10 // 5

Lyrics: The album is entirely instrumental. The score here will be the score of the music itself, there's nothing to comment on the song titles or anything, they're classic Buckethead; It seems that the less crazy the song sounds the better it tends to be, however (there are exceptions though, "Don't Raise Roosts If You Raise Broilers," would be one of the few exceptions.) // 6

Overall Impression: This album was a mixture of feelings, sort of. It's similar to Albino Slug; it's got some greatly memorable songs (Lebron, Lebron's Hammer, Iceman, Premonition, Don't Use Roosts If You Raise Broilers) all hidden underneath a slew of filler Buckethead music. This album is sweet and sour: Having five new great tracks that I'd listen to again and again is great to add to my list of favorite BH songs, but having eight that doen't cut the grade for even on re-listen, that I literally want to skip them is crazy. Albino Slug may have had songs that didn't stick, but they weren't unbearable. And for those who believe I hate dissonance, you're crazy. I believe Elephant Man's Alarm Clock and Inbred Mountain were two of his greatest albums because they showed dissonance actually being capable of being something other then "annoying noise coming from your computer." This crosses the line from an Avant-garde masterpiece to annoying buzz in songs like "Pumpkin Pike" or "Crouching Stump Hidden Limb." Regardless, the five ones that really stand out in this album sound unbelievable at every second and prove that Buckethead's definitely still got more magic in him, hopefully for a long time. And I'll enjoy those five for just as long. // 7

More Buckethead reviews rating latest review
+ Electric Sea 9.4 07/31/2012