Bullet For My Valentine Review

artist: bullet for my valentine date: 04/26/2005 category: compact discs
bullet for my valentine: Bullet For My Valentine
Released: Nov 15, 2004
Genre: Rock
Not quite a classic, but there's promising signs that their debut full-lengther might well be!
 9.2
 9.7
 8.6
Bullet For My Valentine Reviewed by: Craigo, on april 26, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is like nothing you've never heard before. Yeah you can tell it's a emocore band, but they ain't like your normal sterotypical ones like Funeral For A Friend. Fast paced guitars with great solos. It's heavier and faster to your normal emocore band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty weak, and sometimes the stucture doesn't go very well. For example, in Your Just Another Star, it starts with shouting with lyrics such has; "This is what I can see through your eyes, this is the colour of your sunrise" onto; "You've betrayed me for the last time" then goes into a more gentle tone singing lyrics such has "I'm just another guy thats fucked up immensely but you still love me." Or, they will talk about "forces in their heads" then about when they remembered when they took days off school. It just doesn't go. Luckly, the vocal performance fits it like magic with the music, which ends up making the overall, magical. It really fits in with the guitars perfectly. But, the lyrical performace makes up for it. The singing is great, the shouting is great, and the backing singers blend in so well. Its a great vocal performance all around. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a emocore band which is far more heavier and faster than anything other emocore band you've heard before. If you like emocore bands and fast paced slightly heavy music, this is a must have. If you love nu-metal/emocore/hard rock, this is a must have. Or, if you want a sample of them, you could download "Hand Of Blood," "Cries In Vain" or "Just Another Star," or any song on the album. There are five songs on the album all together, but they are all amazing. There aren't many things you can call a masterpiece. Mono Lisa is a masterpiece, Mozarts 40th symphony was a masterpiece, Bullet For My Valentine is a masterpiece. // 10

Bullet For My Valentine Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on december 06, 2004

Sound: To quote the words of a local music reviewer, "F--k Avenged Sevenfold". Admittedly, perhaps that statement is a little bold, but Bullet For My Valentine are definitely one of the most important things to come out of the metal scene for quite some time, particularly in the UK. The Welsh quartet have already toured with the likes of 36 Crazyfists and Hatebreed, and are about to set off on a support slot with US metalcore giants Atreyu. So then, why all the interest after just one 5-track EP? The answer is hard to fully explain. BFMV are perhaps not the most original band in the world, but what they lack in creativity they make up for in skill, passion and songwriting ability. It may have been done before, but not like this. One listen to the self-titled EP and the comparisons to the likes of Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold are unavoidable. The chugging riffs of "Hand Of Blood" and "No Control" combine with the Inme/Lostprophets sounding "Curses" to make a wonderfully diverse and well-crafted debut. There are changes in speed and time signatures, as well as some extremely solid twin guitar work and the kind of breakdowns you'd usually associate with the metalcore genre; moments for moshing and moments for reflection in equal measure. // 10

Lyrics: Images of romance, violence and a bloody mixture of the two appear to be the order of the day here, as the band's name would suggest. Some of the lyrics do border on cliched, but only very occasionally, and this doesn't detract from the overall quality. Matt Tuck has a really emotional sounding voice, which makes countless effortless transitions between brutal screams and the Ian Watkins-like musings on "Curses". Not quite flawless, but still good enough to warrant an Excellent rating. // 10

Overall Impression: Bullet For My Valentine could quite easily appeal to fans of any of the big american metalcore bands, or perhaps fans of heavier straight metal. The great thing about Bullet For My Valentine is that tey can compare to bands like these, but still sound remarkably British and have that special quality about them. Something makes this album different to all the rest, and much the better for it. The most impressive track for me is "Cries In Vain", which contains a heart-stopping breakdown right at the very end, which changes time signatures and then comes back with a solo, reminiscent of Atreyu's outstanding "Lip Gloss And Black". I would definitely buy this album again; it only cost a fiver so it was well worth the money. I urge fans of metalcore to get out there and discover this band. Don't just go by what I've said, pick up the EP and hear it for yourself. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. // 10

More Bullet For My Valentine reviews rating latest review