Scream Aim Fire Review

bullet for my valentine: Scream Aim Fire
Release Date: Jan 29, 2008
Label: Sony BMG
Genres: Metalcore
Bullet For My Valentine's latest studio album comes through with riff after riff, but it's in the mellower moments when the band stands out most.
 Lyrics: 8.1
 8.7
 8.6
 8.7
Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: UG Team, on january 29, 2008

Sound: After earning Kerrang's Best British Newcomer in 2005 and impressing audiences with their Maiden-influenced body of work, Bullet For My Valentine has returned with it's latest collection of riff-heavy metal tracks, Scream Aim Fire. Vocalist/guitarist Matthew Tuck mentioned in a Revolver interview that the new record would be a lot more up tempo, a lot more aggressive, which actually isn't necessarily true when you hear the finished product. It's not to say that Scream Aim Fire takes a step backward in the aggression department, but it certainly won't shock any fans either. When it comes down to it, 2 of the best tracks could easily be described as ballads more than anything. For fans of the dual guitar magic between Tuck and Michael Paget, don't worry. Each song features beautifully executed riffs and there are solos galore. The opening title track Scream Aim Fire is solid example, with everything from a driving intro to some killer pinch harmonics midway through. It does get a bit repetitive, however, and that seems to be a theme for the record. For as many comparisons people make to Metallica, Hetfield and the boys usually had a way of taking the songs into new, interesting directions. You don't need to do that with every song, but BFMV needed to add a little more variety into the some of the tracks. The most aggressive tracks aren't what make the biggest impression on Scream Aim Fire. Say Goodnight could easily be the best tune on the album, with a clean, stripped-down intro and unaffected vocals delivered by Tuck. It's not an acoustic track by any means and does feature guitar solos (not to mention screams at one point), Say Goodnight has a gorgeous melody that comes through immediately. By the end of the song the band does revert to their screaming metal side, which was actually completely unnecessary. While it might satisfy the fans that get antsy whenever the tempo slows down, Say Goodnight is at it's strongest when it does get a little sentimental. Scream Aim Fire is a good album, but it really doesn't approach the memorable quality of the tracks on The Poison. The song that does stand out as being a suitable successor to Tears Don't Fall would be Waking The Demon. It has by far the best intro riff on the entire album and definitely lives up to the aggression that Tuck intended to create. // 7

Lyrics: The themes on Scream Aim Fire are often too familiar and don't break a lot of new ground. In the title track Tuck sings, Kill your enemies; My brothers dead around me wounds are hurting; Death is creeping for me; Smoke is lighting, hearts are pounding. In Eye Of The Storm and a few others there are similar themes of destruction, which would be cool if the band was able to put a new twist on it all. BFMV's lyrics aren't bad, but there are times they could have tried to inject a little something new into topics like death or pain. // 7

Overall Impression: While the guitar skills of Tuck and Paget are as impressive as ever, the songwriting doesn't seem quite as original as it did on The Poison. The band shouldn't be afraid of taking a risk by doing acoustics, ballads, or mellower tracks like Say Goodnight or Forever And Always because they are unexpectedly some of the best tracks on Scream Aim Fire. That may be ruining the whole brutal metal legacy they're going for, but even bands like Metallica, Megadeth, and even Pantera have embraced their softer side at one point or another. // 7

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: Kiotaka, on january 30, 2008

Sound: Wow, I might actually be the first reviewer to like this album. Well, with that said. The sound on this album is just amazing. Despite the fact that Matt Tuck has been having so many problems with his voice, almost to the point of having the band find another singer, he is still able to pull out another album. When I first heard SAF I was a little worried about how this change in vocals would affect the album. Turns out, even though a lack of screaming on his part, this album still has the "Bullet" feel. One step up for the band is the intensity of the sound. After bullets EP came out I was expecting a lot from the poison. Unfortunalty, I felt there was a lack of the intensity shown in the poison compared to their EP. But, SAF brings back that same intensity I remember from hearing the EP. Not only with an improvment in sound, but the screams from Jay have improved greatly. A step up for the whole band. // 10

Lyrics: This is also where I found an improvement. Even though it pains me to say it, the poison's lyrics came off to me as shallow, same ol' same ol', and really hard to relate to. In this album, Matt Tuck when asked about the lyrics for this album stated that "Most of the lyrics were written about what I was going through with my throat problems and how hard this was for my life. It hit me that my career was in jeoprady." With that came more emotion and meaning in the lyrics, and also a lot more to relate to. // 10

Overall Impression: As you probably guessed, I love this album. I've always been a fan of Bullet since their EP, even though I was disappointed in the poison, I still enjoyed it. But after I while I got bored of the CD. This CD has probably been the best I've bought so far. I've been dissapointed by a lot of albums that have recently came out, but this one was amazing. Fact is, this album rocks my socks off, buy it. The only negative about the album is that there are only 11 tracks. But it's 11 tracks of greatness. Good things are to come with this band, I look forward to seeing what comes next. // 10

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: Silverstein X, on february 02, 2008

Sound: Scream Aim Fire is much better than their old cd. It is faster and more aggressive with Matt's voice a little different. They did quit screaming so much although there is a couple songs toward the end that have a lot of screaming. This is probably due to matt's surgery. His new voice is not worse. Or better. But it does sound really cool. Kind of a Metallica/his old voice mix. As I mentioned, they did quit screaming and it's a lot more melodic. But don't worry. While their is more melody, the guitars still rock and rock even harder than old CD. Somehow, it's faster and more pumping than their old cd. It just sounds better. Melody with insane guitars. They also took the solos to a whole new level. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are about the same about hearts, guns, and violence. But they stayed away from relationship problehey are now mostly about anger. "Take It Out On Me" is a good example. They have some really cool subject matter like Eye of the Storm and Waking the Demon. Bullet does cuss a lot more on this cd. Just a warning in case your parents care. Don't listen to it with them. There's the F word in a lot of songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Bullet took their sound to a whole new level. More aggressive and violent. but with more melody. The solos have gotten insane. They throw two or three in about every song. My favorite songs are "Scream Aim Fire","Hearts Bursts Into Fire", "Take It Out on Me", and "Waking the Demon", though they are all up there. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy a new one. or two. // 10

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: tehmetal919, on february 25, 2008

Sound: Let me start of with saying that I liked The Poison and I am a huge fan of this band. They get alot of shit but I've always liked their sound. The songs on Scream Aim Fire have a lot of variation to them, more so than the songs on The Poison in my opinion. Songs like "End Of Days" have riffs that are alot like their older songs, with the trademark Bullet 2-guitar harmony found in most songs on the Poison like Suffocating and Her Voice Resides. On songs like Eye of the storm they use a lot less harmony making the sound thrashier and heavier. I'll break it down track by track. 01. Scream Aim Fire - up-tempo opening track that sets the standard for the entire record. The riffs are fast and catchy and the palm-muted breakdown makes you go "Wtf, is this bullet?!" the first time you hear it. I liked it from the start; great track. 02. Eye Of The Storm - probably the thrashiest song on this album. Features a wicked-sounding sweeping solo followed by a cool harmony part. Matt's vocals has got a raspiness to it that makes it alot more metal and less metalcore (my opinion). Took me a couple of listens to get into but this track is also a great one. 03. Hearts Burst Into Fire - a power-ballad kind of song. This one sounds nothing like old bullet. The riffs make me think of songs like "Crazy Train" by Ozzy. This song has got a really catchy vocal melody and even though it's not as heavy as some of the other tracks it is still one of the highlights on the album. 04. Waking The Demon - the heaviest track on Scream Aim Fire, featuring a shreddy riff and maybe Moose's heaviest drumming so far. IMO the best track on the album. The verse is heavy, the chorus is just epic and the solo is awesome. 05. Disappear - according to Bullet themselves written the same day the song Scream Aim Fire was. After figuring out how to play it on the guitar I realize why, exactly the same notes played in a diffrent way. But the song is quite diffrent nonetheless. This track grows on you and quickly became one of my favourites with great singing and cool riffs. 06. Deliver Us From Evil - I didn't really like this song from the start, perhaps because the melodies used doesn't really resemble anything Bullet has done in the past and Matt's singing is really low. But this is deffinately a track that grows on you and the vocal melody is perhaps one of the strongest melodies on the album. 07. Take It Out On Me - features Benji from the band Skindred on vocals. I Loved this track at first but it gets a bit tiresome after listening to it a couple of times. The middle section is however beutiful and well orchestrated. When I say Bullet live a couple of days ago they used that middle section as a intro to Eye of the storm. 08. Say Goodnight - beautiful ballad about life and death. This is up amongst the best songs along with Waking the Demon. Beautiful lyrics and solo's sets the mood making this the saddest song on the album. 09. End Of Days - this song is the one song that well could have been from The Poison era. It's a good song but not one of the best. One thing worth to mention would be the great guitar solo. 10. Last To Know - same as End of days, this song is not among the best but it is still a strong track, with a lyrical theme similar to that of 4 Words to choke upon from the Poison. It's the shortest track on the album coming it at just 3:17. 11. Forever And Always - epic arena-rock song with a cool long instrumental outro that serves as a great ending to the entire album. Great catchy vocal melodies. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical themes of the album differs quite a bit from Bullet's previous albums. Many songs of The Poison was about love and relationships. On this album you have perhaps more fictional themes like war (Scream Aim Fire), storms (Eye of the storm) and also a lot of vengeance (Waking the demon/Disappear). The lyrics aren't that deep, but they go great with the music and they get the messages across. I've seen a lot of whining about Matt Tuck's voice recently, how it has changed and ruined the band due to his throat-problems. On some tracks like Eye of the storm and Scream aim fire his voice is pretty diffrent from the old songs. His "cuter" voice heard on songs like Tears don't fall is almost gone here and this goes well with the more "metal" direction the band said they wanted to take. So just let me dispell your worries; his voice is great and he has no problems singing anymore. // 8

Overall Impression: Even though not much of this year has passed yet, I still believe this album will be up there with the best of them. IMO this album is a better album than The Poison, but I'm sure many would disagree with me on that. But it all comes down to personal flavour. Bullet for my valentine sure has gone a more metal direction and some people might dislike this, but I think it's great. Album highlights for my would be: Scream Aim Fire, Hearts Burst Into Fire, Waking The Demon, Say Goodnight. Matt's voice sounds as good as ever and the guitarplaying and drumming are deafening. I would definetly buy it again if it was stolen, because I think it's. Go buy it! // 9

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: -XM-, on january 30, 2008

Sound: Ok, I could go on and talk about how I think this is one of the best releases in the last 10 years, but you guys don't want to hear my shit so I'm gonna TRY to be unbiased here and just give some facts to help you understand about the CD. The sound is a lot different but not completely different from The Poison. There are some screams here and there but not every other sentence, which in my opinion is exactly what this band needed, I like The Poison but if they did another album like The Poison it would be too repetitive for my tastes and plus I like hearing Matt sing! The heaviest song is Waking The Demon which has loads of screams like the classic bullet stuff. The mellowest song is probably Say Goodnight, which is one of my favorites on the entire CD. I read somewhere on here that the mellower stuff on this CD is where bullet really shines and that is definatly true! It's great to see some different sides to bullet musically. If you liked bullet from the start you will love this CD. If you love all the screaming and heavyness The Poison offered and you thought Trivium's Crusade album sucked (haha), you'll think this album sucks! I personally think the sound of this album is a 10. The songs aren't all heavy love songs like from The Poison they are much more thought out and the outcome is great. The guitar work is also really good on this album, the intro on Deliver Us From Evil is killer! Even the riffs are more thought out this time around. // 10

Lyrics: The weakest point of this album is the lyrics. I don't like to admit this because I'm a fanboy. But if you listen to the lyrics to Scream Aim Fire that pretty much will give you an idea about the rest of the lyrics on the album. They don't suck, they're not the best and they are a little better then average. As for the vocal performances I gotta say I love hearing people sing more then I do scream! And there is definatly more singing then screaming on this CD. The best song vocal wise is probably Take It Out On Me, Say Goodnight or Forever And Always. It's hard for me to pick one out of those bunch. Matt can make his voice sound so different! If you like Metallicaish vocals then you'll like most of the vocals on this album. // 8

Overall Impression: I really want to give this album a 10, but I don't want to be too much of a fanboy! Ok here is my opinion: this album kills The Poison, the songs are much more thought out in depth, there are a variety of sounds on the album, and ofcourse the guitar work is awesome! I can't pick a favorite song off of this album, they are all awesome in their own right. Here are some facts. The album is not heavier then The Poison, but this only depends on what your definition of heavy is. If your definition of heavy is screaming then no this album is not heavier. If you thought Trivium, Lostprophets, and Funeral For A Friend's first albums were better and each CD got worse and worse you'll most likely think the same thing about this album. If you thought the only thing wrong with The Poison was that the songs were all the same you will be pleased with this album. Hopefully I helped you understand what the CD is like and stuff. I think it's definatly worth a listen from everyone! Go bullet! // 9

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: sleepwalker16, on february 02, 2008

Sound: BFMV's second effort features a Melodic Thrash Metal sound, it's mostly very aggressive, fast paced, melodic (obiously), with some great solos. Although changing styles from Metalcore to Thrash, Bullet manages to retain their original sound which differs them from other bands, the guitar tone is still the same, the drums are too, if you listen to this album first and "The Poison" afterwards you'll still be able to recognize Bullet from the first track you hear. The production values are great, every little sound is heard, there is absolutely nothing that strains your ear, the clear production also adds to the sheer aggression of the record. There are also a few mellow songs on the album, and this is where Bullet really shines (even though they probably wanted to be remembered for aggression). Tracks like "Say Goodnight", "Hearts Burst Into Fire", "Forever and Always" are full of emotion, great guitar work and are the most memorable songs on this album in every aspect, they have the best riffs, solos, pack serious emotional power in them, and are the best in overall songwriting. // 9

Lyrics: Some lyrics are very good, some are generic and cheesy, the present themes are: war, loss, personal struggles, revenge, longing. The romance themes from "The Poison" are gone and forgotten, sometimes it's for the best, but a few songs could use them, yes, I obviously mean the mellow ones, heh. Most of the screams present on "The Poison" are gone as well, the reason would be Matt Tuck's throat problems and following operation. That made his clean vocals change as well, they are now lower, but in no way worse than the ones on their debut, just different. Bullet succeeded in compiling the lyrics and vocals with the music, in thrash songs they are urging to scream with them, in mellow songs they present the picture Bullet wants you to see very clearly. Overall, Bullet have done a great job. // 9

Overall Impression: I am very impressed with this album, it's a big improvement over "The Poison" in almost every aspect, save for the lyrics where they are about equal. SAF is the definetive Bullet album, easier to get into than their debut, packs more originality, emotion, and of course, good metal. The album is definetely worth your hard earned buck/pound/euro/whatever. The strongest tracks would be "Forever and Always", "Hearts Burst Into FIre", "Say Goodnight", "End of Days", and "Waking the Demon". // 9

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: guitar_shredda*, on february 01, 2008

Sound: Immediately from the start you can tell this is not another Poison. Quicker riffs, thrashier drumming, more solos and more singing then screaming. Definately a side of bullet that we always knew was there. The actaul mixing of the CD is powerful and well done but I felt Matt's voice had been edited a bit. He said it's actaully two of him singing and pasted together or something along those lines. This album definately reminds me of an '80s metal album. Overall everything sounds really good and well produced. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are more varied this time and there doesn't seem to be any songs about killing ex girlfriends which for some of the fans was what made bullet a "bullet". Lyrics ranging from war to killing bullies to missing home can be found on the album. I felt what brings down this album is the lyrics. They're above average but the same verses seem to go on forever and that can get really annoying such as on "eye of the storm". But in other songs the lyrics shine through such as in "Say Goodnight" which will touch the heart of even the hardest of metal heads. Matt Tuck still has his really good singing voice except for the change in the way he uses it. A more metallica style of singing would be the 1st thing to come to mind. Overall if the lyrics had not been repeated so much over and over the songs would have been much better been much better. // 7

Overall Impression: All in all the album is actually very good. Better than a lot of albums out there today. Songs such as "Waking The Demon" with it's high energy solo and "End Of Days" with it's catchy lyrics are definatley some of the stand out songs of the album. The worst song on the album by far would definately have to be "forever and always". I can not understand why the song was put on there. Something like "The End" from The Poison should have been made that would fit with the whole "chaos" theme of the album. Maybe one or two more songs could have been put on to add varitaion to the album. I won't lie I love bullet and this is definately a good album but it's short comings such as the lyrics that seem to repeat over and over should be taken care of on the next album. It's one of those albums that you either love or hate. // 9

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: kodou555, on february 26, 2008

Sound: When I first heard The Poison, I was amazed to say the least, the two-part harmonies, the solos, the incredibly catchy choruses. Needless to say I loved it, and I felt a similar feeling after listening to Scream, Aim, Fire. However, musically, this album is a lot different from their previous. There are more softer songs, more upbeat songs such as Waking the Demon and they even stretch as far as to include a new vocalist on the new album. Padge himself said they wanted to go in to the studio and make a harder record. Bullet for my Valentine have been known to be the butt of several jokes concerning the supposed affilliation with "emo", but anyone who new them well enough would know that they aren't. And they prove it in this album. The open track starts out with a riff that immediately tells you that this band means business, "Eye of the Storm"'s furious riff works perfectly with the theme of the song and the main riff from "Hearts Burst Into Fire" fits the shoe perfectly yet again. These are to name but a few of the tracks and all of them are brilliantly composed. But the band dares to try their hand at softer songs, where they do not go wrong, "Deliver Us From Evil" and "Say Goodnight" are both excellent tracks and are definitely highlights from my point of view. Personally I think that the band has kept the great riffs they had in The Poison and has gone that little step further to impress us with their softer songs which do eventually get heavy again. // 8

Lyrics: We all know that Matt Tuck underwent surgery earlier on in the year and had to cancel their tour with Metallica which they were looking forward to but it had to be done. But by losing his tonsils, Matt has also gained a new voice which he flaunts without hesitation in the new album, yet again "Hearts Burst Into Fire" stands out strong for me and "Deliver Us From Evil" doesn't fail either. His new voice now enables him to go to new extremes such as the Death growls heard on Scream Aim Fire and the softer stylings on "Say Goodnight." One of the excellent things the band has done with the lyrics this time round is the short sentences on Scream Aim Fire, helping us to picture perfectly the stress and constant thinking needed to survive in a battlefield. But one thing that can't be overlooked, is the inclusion of Benji Webb from Skindred. A known friend of the band's he was invited to help out on the track" Take it Out on Me". He performs excellently on the second and third verses adding a bit of variety to the album. Overall the lyrics work very well with the album and the inclusion of Benji Webb was a nice touch. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I Think this album is great and well worth a buy if you like Trivium or (from what I've heard) Anterior. The bestsongs on the album are "Hearts Burst Into Fire" and "Waking The Demon" from my point of view. I love the harmonies that they've kept and the guitar duel in "Waking The Demon" and the great riffs. There's nothing I really dislikein the album. I would definitely buy it again if I lost it. Seriously, you should download any of the songs mentioned above, they are all great but the ones, I have mentioned are well worth a listen. Overall I think the album is great but they could do with one or two more tracks on the next album. // 8

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: papershredder, on september 26, 2008

Sound: Scream Aim Fire is BFMV's second full album. Right from the beginning, it hits the floor and picks up the pace. The first song on the album grabs the listener immediately with a quick but dramatic introduction on the drums, and the album barely slows down from their. Less screamy than their debut album, "The Poison", but more musical and fantastically structured, although there is no obvious theme to the album. "Scream Aim Fire" features two love songs, "Hearts Burst Into Fire", a passionate track with an incredibly catchy chorus, and the last number on the album, "Forever And Always". Overall the sound is different to their debut album, but if you liked that then you'll love this. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are nothing special, and usually sound like they were written for the music, instead of the music being written for the words, but they do fit in well with the songs. Every now and then you will hear a few lines that catch in your head and stick, which is a sign of great songwriting. Although some of the lyrics in the thrashiest songs sound rather plain and as though they were written by kids, on the whole they are well done and match the guitar riffs and drum beats adequately. // 7

Overall Impression: I think Scream Aim Fire is a fantastic album, and it compliments Bullet For My Valentine's debut album by showing that they have found the formula for their music, and are developing it. A quick overview of the tracks on this album: 01. Scream Aim Fire: a fast-paced, dramatic introduction to the album with some cool riffs, a great rhythm and overall a brilliant sound, though with some somewhat corny lyrics here and there. 02. Eye Of The Storm: compliments the previous track with a slightly more agressive approach and a catchy chorus 03. Hearts Burst Into Fire: universally BFMV's most popular song, this is a brilliant track with an amazing intro solo and some thought-provoking lyrics. 04. Waking The Demon: the climax of the album, this is the heaviest song on the CD. It has some kick-ass riffs and an even more kick-ass guitar solo. This one really shows off BFMV's metal side. 05. Disappear: a more average song than Waking The Demon, but again a great choice for the metal lovers. It's fast paced with another awesome solo and great rhythm 06. Deliver Us From Evil: my favourite song on the album, this is a really theatrical one with an instantly catchy intro and great lyrics. Less screamy, but with good vocals nonetheless. 07. Take It Out On Me: probably my least favourite song on the album, but once again a good fast-paced track with catchy guitar and wonderful vocals which blend with the instruments. 08. Say Goodnight: the slowest song on the album, it starts with the sound of rain then a theatrical intro solo eventually followed up by mellow vocals. Gets heavier towards the end but still my second favourite. 09. End Of Days: suddenly picking up the pace again with this heavy screamy number, with Matt showing off his capabilities and winding down with a brilliant solo. 10. Last To Know: similiar to "End Of Days" in many ways, this song is still good, but not much different to it's predecessor. Another great solo though. 11. Forever And Always: a nice "power ballad" this is a love song with some aspects of metal but mostly a pleasant round-off to the album with a catchy riff and touching lyrics. 12. No Easy Way Out (Bonus Track): not many versions of the album have this song, but personally I think it's fantastic. It's unique to BFMV, with a brilliant chorus and somewhat futuristic sounding guitar? Whatever it is it's great. Overall this is a brilliant album, and it's a must-have for any metal lover, drama, awesome riffs, splitting solos and a brilliant structure. If it were stolen from me, I would hunt the thief down and take it back myself. // 10

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: ljhrocks, on july 08, 2009

Sound: In my opinion this is the best Bullet album yet. Don't get me wrong I love all of their older stuff, but this is just my personal best. When Matt Tuck said that his vocals will be more aggressive for this album, he was in fact telling the truth. Even though there is generally more singing than screaming, the way in which he sings is much more aggressive than the poison or any of their EPs. The title track "Scream, Aim, Fire" is a good example of this. Although the screaming is less it is still there and is mixed perfectly with the singing. "disappear" is a good example of this at the chorus when Matt screams "now all those acts repaid, your turn to be afraid" then sings "not longer, almost done, oh god just what have I become?" to me this makes the song actually sound intimidating. Although the album is more aggressive, it also doesn't lack melody. "Hearts Burst Into Fire", "Say Goodnight" "Deliver Us From Evil" and "Forever And Alwasy" are the more melodic songs on this album and all of them are amazing, and Matt seems to use his old style of singing in Say Goodnight which shows that he has still got a good melodic voice. I bought the special edition of this CD which came with a DVD and a bonus track "Ashes Of The Innocent". The DVD was pretty poor, but the bonus track alone makes it worth the extra money. The song starts out fast with dopuble bass and fast guitars with fast screaming with a calmer singing chorus, and is by far the best song on the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, but nothing special. As for Matt Tuck's new vocal style, I feel as a vocalist myself that he chose that new style rather than being forced into it through an operation. When I listen to songs like Say Good Night or even the chorus of Waking The Demon, I can hear his old style which is good, nut I do love the new style it makes it feel more like a metal album and less emo. The way in which he is singing is not much different, he just adds more aggression to his voice, kinda in between singing and screaming, which works really well for this album. He also uses this new style melodically as well, Hearts Burst Into Fire is a great example of this. Say Goodnight is one of the most melodic songs on the CD, but does have screaming at the end but it sound melodic even though it is sceaming, which in my opinion is something that can only be done by a talented vocalist. // 8

Overall Impression: Scream, Aim, Fire is in a completely different standard to anything else that Bullet have ever done. This is by far more metal than the other albums, and Bullet have gone in the opposite direction to most bands, which not many get away with. In other words, most bands start out pure metal, get an established audience and then gradually get more mainstream or emo, but Bullet started out quite emo (don't get me wrong it was still amazing, but the video for All These Things I Hate proves my point for me here) and have now edged more towards the metal scene which has worked extremely well for them. // 9

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: Kellett1, on july 28, 2009

Sound: My first impression of this album were that it would be a carbon copy of the debut which proved so popular (as has been seen with some bands), but once I took the time to listen to this, I realised that all my criticisms of "The Poison"'s repetition and unoriginality could no longer apply to this release. I don't what this album did to receive the amount of hatred that I have seen from some people, with criticisms that always go back to the frankly retarded "Not As Good As The Poison!" which isn't retarded in itself as long as it's backed up. The problem I have with these people is that they don't back up their opinions sufficiently for me to take what they're saying on board so I ignore them which is a shame because if they had taken the time to respond when I replied with a well constructed argument they might have been able to change my mind. As it is, I think this is the best efort of the band so far and if someone thinks they can change my mind they are welcome to try. Don't get me wrong, I Loved The Poison and thought that it was one of the best things I'd heard this year, and don't think that I am some fool who doesn't listen to others, as some might think after reading the above paragraph. I've just realised that I haven't even started talking what the album actually sounds like but if you've been in some kind of contact with the music world I'll assume that you know what Bullet For My Valentine sounds like and those of you who don't, BFMV is a metalcore band which uses fast drums, twin guitars and screaming vocals to acheive a heavy, yet more listenable than some bands, sound. And that's basically what Scream Aim Fire is. It's not deep or meaningful, it's just simple-minded metalcore. And that's just fine. // 9

Lyrics: I've heard a lot of people slag off bands for crap lyrics but all of those criticisms can go and jump off a bridge for all I care when applied to this album as there is a great deal of screaming vocals, making tne lyrics almost completely inaudible, but as long as it sounds good I don't care. Unfortunately, there are some parts of the album that I can't help but think that the band, the lyricist and the singer were all seperate people and that they were kept on opposite sides of a concrete wall during the creation of this album, but this is a minor complaint. Overall, the vocals are solid and help to enhance the sound of the music. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said in my review of The Poison, I don't know a great deal about the metalcore genre, although I'm told that Funeral For A Friend are very similar to BFMV, I haven't really had much chance to buy any more albums of the genre, so I can't really compare it. The best songs from the album would have to be "Scream, Aim, Fire", "Deliver Us From Evil", "Last To Know" and "Forever And Always". I can't help but wonder, as "Here Come The Storm" is scheduled for release on September 14th, whether it will be able to recreate these efforts, or possibly BFMV have peaked to early. // 9

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: Crazylegs11, on september 02, 2009

Sound: I really like Bullet's sound, especially the overlaying guitars that Matt and Padge play on this album. The drums are also pretty cool to listen to. My favorite drum piece is on the track "Waking the Demon" the building drum intro is one of the coolest beats I have ever heard. The other interesting part about the sound on this album is the way the guitar pieces and drum beats, match the music. For example in the track "Eye of the Storm" the whole song is full of crazy beats, and sounds, just like in a storm. // 9

Lyrics: I really like the lyrics for this album. They seem to touch on the darker side of topics that other bands won't touch. An example I like to use is for the track "Scream Aim Fire" Most bands use war as a rally cry. Bullet, took it and wrote lyrics that show off the dark side of war. For example "Kill your enemies, my brothers dead around me, wounds are hurting, death is creeping for me" are the opening lines of the song. Also Matt's voice is really gruff, and really fit's well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of the most different albums that I have bought. I never really listened to a lot of this type of metal, and I really do enjoy it. The most impressive song on the album is probably "Waking the Demon" at least in my opinion. The guitar, lyrics, and drums seem to mesh perfectly. There isn't really anything that I hate on the album. I usually like most of the music that I listen to. As I have said before my favorite thing is the way all of the sounds mold together to make one really awesome sound. I would definetly by this album again, and will definetly by more Bullet for my Valentine albums in the future. // 9

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: AcEL7, on december 14, 2009

Sound: Bullet For My Valentine has really improved their sound since the release of their debut album "The Poison" in 2005. With "Scream, Aim, Fire" they really took time and structured their songs very well and to me, it's a fine work of art. They have great potential and also, great talent. The album has great guitar tone along with screaming solos and chaotic double bass thrash. This is certainly an album to reckon with. This album is all heavy metal and no sissy punk rock. The album starts out with the title track, "Scream, Aim, Fire", featuring a pounding drum line and a screaming signature guitar solo that's second to none. It goes into "Eye Of The Storm" and features a thunderous main riff and a sweeping guitar solo. Going into "Hearts Burst Into Fire", the slow it down but still maintain a heavy sound. The ultimate heavy on this album comes next, "Waking The Demon". This is without a doubt the heaviest song on the entire album with a monsterous riff and crazy solo that screams shred. Going into "Disappear", the band stills remains heavy and fast but this song isn't as heavy as some other songs on the album. "Deliver Us From Evil", probably the lightest song on the entire album features the first bass solo on the album. My favorite song on this album, "Take It Out On Me" comes next. An amazing intro riff and a very well put together guitar solo by Matt Tuck. The second bass solo for Jay, one of my favorites. "Say Goodnight", acoustic intro, heavy chorus, nothing more. "End Of Days", they never actually mention the song name in the song which is good because it throws people off and makes them wonder that the title of the song is. To me, this song is an instant classic for BFMV, "Last To Know", a very good intro riff and a very good guitar solo that speaks to you. The final cut for the album, a slow and steady ending for the album, "Forever And Always". There isn't really much in this song to speak for. // 10

Lyrics: I was extremely surprised how the lyrics were on this album. Matt Tuck (lead singer and guitarist) really improved his singing and his screams as well. The lyrics fit perfectly with the rhythm of the music, something some people would find hard to do. Jason "Jay" James (bassist and backup vocalist) really shines on this album. He really shows what he's capable of in the song "Waking The Demon". He screams the entire verse and it really caught me by surprise the first time I heard that song. // 9

Overall Impression: This album, in my mind, does not compare to any other album out there. This will be an instant classic years down the road. To me, this album is everything to love and nothing to hate. It's a hybrid mix of acoustic (Say Goodnight) and extreme heavy metal (Waking The Demon) that hits hard and doesn't quit until you turn it off or the CD ends. I encourage everyone to buy this album and listen to it from beginning to end and if it's lost or stolen... Get another one because this is not an album you don't want to miss. // 8

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: roosterfx1, on march 12, 2008

Sound: So the welsh heavy metal brigade returns with the much anticipated follow-up to their 2005 debut. Back then they stormed onto the metal uk metal scene armed to the teeth with their critically acclaimed album The Poison. Now, 3 years later do they still have what it takes to be a serious contender and earn their stripes, or as they put in one of their own songs are they "just another star that's burned out too quickly"? The answer is yes and no. The album starts of with very promisingly with the first title track kick starting into a frenzy of barrage drums and straight into a mosh-pit friendly riff with a sense of gained maturity since The Poison. Everything is spot on, with fantastic break-downs, a towering solo and instantly memorable chorus. Matts vocal style has changed slightly, he manages to sound more agressive without screaming as much, which really shows that he's grown up and understands that screaming doesnt't make a song necessarily heavier or more aggressive. There's a hint of classic metal emerging through their own sound style that, dare I say it reminds us of metallica. This same mentality goes straight on to the next song Eye of the storm which has a brilliant driving classic metal riff with some wonderful deul harmonies. there are some killer tunes here such as the mental Waking The Demon, Eye of the storm, the heartfelt Say good bye, End of days and Scream aim fire. These are songs you'll put on repeat when you listen to them. However, and this is a BIG however, for every killer song is an absoloute duffer. Halfway through the album and you'l want to eject it from your CD drive. There are some incredibly unspectacular songs, and the energy and drive fizzles out. Deliver us from evil is totally random, Dissapear sounds lik a rehashed, recycled song form the Poison with weak sing-along vocals, and Forever and Always is unbelievably cheesy and flat. As though they are running out of ideas and falling back on old tricks, towards the end it's sounds like a generic metalcore affair. A shame considering if the album does shine very brightly at times. it's a case of huge unfulfilled potential. The guitars work in perfect chemistry (evident in Waking the demon)and have wonderfull tone, however the vocals prove to be a bit of a hit and miss affair. In some songs matt opts for a aggresive/clean style (Scream aim fire, Eye of the storm), and then half way through decides to ditch them in favour of hollow unemotional "does the job" kind of vocals a la "Dissapear" and "Take it out on me". This can make things feel disjointed and inconsistent. Musically the band has evolved and their sense of dynamic has improved vastly, with Matt's brilliant sense of melody and ability to write memorable choruses immediatley evident. // 7

Lyrics: From a lyrical point of view this album shines.The lyrics a varied and relevant and don't always fall back on the same theme. it's obvious to me that Matt Tuck spent a lot of time getting his point across clearly and talks about things many can relate to. Scream Aim Fire the track, is very in your face describing the horrors of a battlefield: "Limbs are flying, men are crying, such a hurtfull sight, the call is made it's one for all, Take no prisoners!" He doesn't try to question wars or go too deep and start prattling on about his opinion, it's very much a song describing the hardships of being on the front lines. There is an awesome "Over the top"! chant during the chorus, which is a tailor-made excuse to get people to chant and punch their firts in the air at live shows to build up the atmosphere. Waking the demon tackles bullying and is about not letting people walk all over you and to stand up for yourself and unleesh your "Inner demons". The lyrics range from violence and environmental destruction to love, and even what sounds like a tribute to the fans. "Forever and always" from what I can tell is about thanking the fans for support and reassuring them that they will always be on the stage for them no matter what. Deliver us from evil, as well as being an extreemly tiresome repetitive affair of a song, also has bland lyrics to accompany it, and to this day I still don't what he's actually on about. I don't think he does either. // 9

Overall Impression: Its BFMV's ability to create their own breed of catchy yet aggressive metal that is accessible to a wider audience, from die hard metal heads to casual listener who maybe aren't into heavy music. They've outlived the metalcore tag and created their own unique blending of modern memorable metal with faster classic, almost thrashy metal. The album is a 50-50 mix of fantastic and unspectacular. They obviously have the ability and the potential to become something truly great, and this album falls just short of the mark. Maybe on their next album they will iron out their creases and build on the best parts of this album to create a true "classic." // 7

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: y-e-a-r-z-e-r-o, on april 16, 2008

Sound: I became a fan of BFMV with the release of this album, of course I heard Tears Don't Fall and All These Things I Hate, but I bought this album first after hearing Scream Aim Fire. After being blown away by this album I got The Poison as well and was surprised by the difference. On Scream Aim Fire, in my opinion, they have some true heavy metal with a little less heavy vocals. Although they had reason to include less screams, due to Tucks' tonsil issue, they still had a lot and could have included more. The lack of screams is no problem to me; I think if they had had screaming it would have taken away from the synchronicity with the music. The album starts out and kicks your ass with scream aim fire, one on the heaviest song on the album. The solos and riffs on this album also impressed me, as a guitar player I look up to the playing on this album more than that of The Poison. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album "matured" you could say from The Poison, shifting from many songs that involve hopeless love to many other topics. I think this shows their skill to write better. I mean you got to love the lyrics to Tears Don't Fall, but this album tackles different stuff: war, anger, even bullying and still the love stuff. Again, Tucks' vocals are not as scream-heavy but go very well with the music. On the song Take it Out on Me Benji Webbe from Skindred does guest vocals and it blend well, although I've never listened to Skindred I like his vocals on that song. The lyrics to Scream Aim Fire (the song) deal with war and I really enjoy the picture it paints. Hearts Burst Into Fire is one of their song dealing with love and is one of my favorite of the album. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this album. It's better than The Poison. The guitarwork is awesome, the solos are blistering and the vocals are great, I don't think the lack of screaming affected the album at all. Scream Aim Fire, Hearts Burst Into Fire, Disappear, Take It Out On Me and Forever and Always are all of my favorites (I know I know like half of the album, but they all are great songs) Bullet For My Valentine has become one of my favorite bands and I'm looking forward to see them play live! // 10

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: synysterv, on october 17, 2008

Sound: Bullet said all along ever since they announce the makings of a new album that they were aiming for a heavier sound, and they certainly achieved it on this record, heavy riff after heavy riff, a solo in basically every song bar maybe one or two and some heavy almost james hetfield influenced singing, not to mentioned the sweet screaming despite matt's vocal surgery and whatnot. I think what this album really lacked in general was the pure originality found on bullet's previous effort, the poison. I think bullet put themselves in a situation where they were trying to sound heavier and more metal, but couldn't detach themselves from the more metalcore sort of sound that they originated with, and as a result, lead to an almost try-hard metal sound. don't get me wrong though, I do like this album, it has some quality songs, but it also has obvious flaws. one of these being the fact that they chose to end almost every song very suddenly, which left the impression that they were out of ideas or they just plain didn't know where the song was going. this sudden ending is usually accompanied by a growl or a yell too, which got somewhat annoying and repetitive. Another factor that gave the impression of a lack of ideas is that the riff in the bridge of the song 'Last To Know' is almost exactly the same as the main riff of the song 'Disappear' except maybe perhaps played at a different tempo. It was almost as though bullet thought no one would notice and they could get away with recycling the same riff on an album. Some songs seem very half-hearted and indecisive, an example of this would be 'Waking The Demon', though it's probably one of the best if not the best song on the album. It starts off with on of the better riffs I've heard from any band, and builds up ultimately just to the the same riff with some awesome drum work from Moose (who really shines on this song by the way), the tempo of the song is very fast paced and gets you pumped up and everything, and then it goes into this melodic sort of bridge with softer vocals and some nice guitar work, which is fine really, as it leads into an amazing solo by Padge, but the instead of continuing the tempo after the solo, they just repeat the bridge again and kind of leave the song up in the air. Another song that I was very disappointed with was 'Say Goodnight'. It was a soft melodic song, with epic solos opening each verse, and in my opinion would've been the best song on the entire album if it weren't for bullet realising that they weren't being metal enough and started screaming toward the end of the song, ruining a perfectly good melodic song with beautiful lyrics and everything. I found that to be the biggest disappointment of the album. Also, 'Hearts Burst Into Fire', though it was a solid power ballad, with a quality intro solo, it kind of faded into nothing after the second chorus, this is evident as they chose to end the song by screaming "when hearts burst into fire", which I thought, much like "say goodnight" was unwelcome as the whole song was soft melodic singing up until the end. But as a whole it's not like they said they were going to be heavier and more aggresive and didn't come up with the goods, they certainly did achieve what they set out to do, but it was an album with the right idea, just could've been better. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics have never really been a big problem with bullet and this album is no exception. It had, I guess you could say, a less emo concept to them in comparison to the poison's lyrics. This album had lyrics, about war, thunderstorms (in Eye of the Storm, which I thought was a little unoriginal and seemed very forced), they also had lyrics about bullies and revenge, being out on the road and missing your lover. Generally some decent concepts. What I was impressed with the most was matt tuck's ability to still deliver some quality vocals, despite his vocal surgery, which admirably they make no effort to cover up. in fact the song "Deliver Us From Evil" is actually about matt's vocal issues and whatnot. and along with bassist jay, matt manages to not only produce some heavier singing vocals that match the music, but he also pulls off some screams, which again is very impressive, perhaps not up to the standard of the poison, but is still very good. I think the lyrics and vocals were fine, if only it was incorporated into better song structure. I gave the lyrics/vocals a 9 mainly because of matt tucks delivery through his vocal issues. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I guess it was a decent effort in the end. I wouldn't say it was as good as the poison, but still a fair album. I think it will appeal to more metal fans which I think is what the band wants, so they were successful in that department. the most impressive songs on the album, would have to be "Scream, Aim, Fire", "Waking The Demon", "End Of Days", "Take It Out On Me" and "Say Goodnight", the worst song would have to be "Last To Know" which seemed to be a song they included to get 11 tracks. I like bullet's ability to achieve what they set out to do, I just think they need to be more original about it. it was a solid effort, if it was stolen, I'd be annoyed because I like the band, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. // 6

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: guitarfreak222, on january 08, 2009

Sound: Bullet For My Valentine, Scream Aim Fire. I've Listened to this album over and over again and my thoughts of it have not changed. Their sound has changed quite a bit and they've cut back on the screaming a lot. With out the screaming, I think this album is leaning more into the "metal" genre and not so much metalcore because of the lack of screaming. The twin guitar work is excellent. Harmonized riffs, solos, This album is bloody riff galore!!! It shows that they have a lot of talent in their song writing. The production quality is perfect, clean and slick, you can hear every note clearly. Matt tuck's singing is very nice. You can see in the track "Eye of the storm" That he's singing with a lot more rasp in his voice which is awesome. Jays backing vocals have improved a lot since the poison, his screams are very well controlled. It's also nice hearing him do a little bass solo thingy in the soft part of "Take it out of me". Moose's drumming is very stable and I love how his drums sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are less about breakups and stuff like that in the poison. The lyrics sometimes are a bit cheesy like in scream aim fire and the eye of the storm. However, I'm not a expert on lyrics or anything, so they don't matter so much to me unless the lyrics are really crap and do deserve criticism. Matt tuck has stopped screaming so much because he got his tonsils removed. His singing is superb, I've always been a fan of Matt's singing and screaming. // 7

Overall Impression: A very nice album by Bullet For My Valentine. The guitar work has improved a whole lot since the poison. I can't find anything I hate about this album. These guys are gonna be big in a decade or so. They've taken a step forward in their musical direction and I hope to hear from them soon. Great work guys, keep it up. Awesome album! // 8

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: ESPman6505+, on june 02, 2009

Sound: With the success of The Poison, Bullet For My Valentine were poised to blow their fans away with their sophmore effort Scream Aim Fire. This album took a slightly different direction than what we were used to. It seems that Bullet wanted to write songs similar to what they grew up listening to. Bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Pantera were their influences in writing this album. Prior to writing Scream, Bullet was on the tour of a lifetime playing big shows and opening up for big bands. During the tour, Matt Tuck struggled with layrengitis. This problem led him to have his tonsils removed which required a lenthy recovery time. When it was time to record Sream, Matt's vocals (which he claims) were at about 60 percent. But somehow he managed to pull it off and make a very good album. Matt uses his Peavey 6505 amp while Padgett uses his Mesa Triple Rectifier. Both seem to blend very well together. // 10

Lyrics: After listening to The Poison, you kinda get the feeling that Matt's relationships are crazy. Most of the songs deal with love/hate relationships. On Scream Aim Fire however, we see that his lyrics have, in a way, matured. The title track is obviously about fighting in a war. Waking the Demon is about being bullied during high school. And Deliver us from Evil is about battling through hard times (during a live show, matt said he wrote the song during when he was recovering from his throat opperation). Matt's singing(considering his throat problems) is very good. He still have a great vocal range and makes his songs very melodic. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a very good album. Compared to The Poison and their early EP, this is second on my list. I have seen Bullet recently and Matt's voice is a ton better. The songs that stand out for me on this album would have to be: Deliver Us From Evil, Scream Aim Fire, Say Goodnight, Waking the Demon, and End of Days. I like thrash metal, so I like how this album has that thrash like sound to it. I do wish that Matt would scream more like he used to. But I know that it's because of his throat. I would def. Buy this again if I had to. // 10

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: surefireshred3, on january 10, 2011

Sound: The band has improved on their first album, The Poison. In Matt Tuck's words the album is "A lot more aggresive, a lot more up tempo". He is correct, a lot of songs on the album have 1/16th notes in them which create a fast paced experience, you van't help but bob your head and mosh out to it. It makes Bullet's first album look like nothing. Being a Metalcore band Bullet has incorporated all the aspects possible, scream vocals, heavily distorted guitars, everything you would expect from them. // 10

Lyrics: Matt and Jay (Bass guitar, Scream vocals) make a great team when it comes to this, and sound unique compared to other bands. Matt's Vocals match perfectly to the backround music and give a positive or negative feel to it, depending on the song. The lyrics though are somewhat reflecting some of the songs on The Poison which means that I didn't see that much of totally unique lyrics. However, if I were to listen to these songs having not posted this review I would think that Bullet had only improved even more. // 9

Overall Impression: It is without a doubt in the top 3 metal albums released in 2008, and makes other artists in their genre bow (that was a message from my band as we are discussing this now). The most impressive songs are definetly the three tracks that have music videos, Scream Aim Fire (Track 1), Hearts Burst Into Fire (Track 3), and Waking The Demon (Track 4). I love the heavier riffs, Faster pace and Jay's amazing screaming, but hate how the songs have similar meanings behind them... But if it were stolen or lost, I'd go a step further and buy the deluxe edition simply because I believe this album kicks ass, it still hasn't grown old on me after 2 years and I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again anyday. // 10

Scream Aim Fire Reviewed by: martyrdood, on july 19, 2008

Sound: If I could really briefly describe this album's sound I'd say, medocire, or I could say medicore. This album sounds ridiculosly generic, it lacks that certain originallity I heard on The Poison. It's almost as if they're trying to make a shift to mainstream, but anyway, fans will cherish this album like gold. To open the song we hear "Sream Aim Fire" which although really kinda cool, very (as mentioned before) generic, but the solo is nice, and some of the heavier breakdowns are pretty cool too. Next is "Eye Of The Storm" which doesn't really attract my attention, and the chorus, well the lyrics don't really match 100%, but there'es a cool little stop start heavy bit which goes for about a second. That's one part which appealed to me. Then the rest of the song kinda of lacks substance and that real metal kinda of sound. The first time I heard "Hearts Burst into Fire" I was immediately drawn in and my total attention was absolutely centred around this one song, it's one of the best on the album, the clean intro to heavy, classic, and Bullet used it very efectivly. And the chorus melds in so well with the guitars, liked very much. Then "Waking The Demon" alright intro but, to heavily repeated and I get bored quickly. The chorus is alright, nothing special, but I don't know what it is about this song that doesn't appeal to me. Some songs are very ordinary but the next decent one in my opinion would have to be "Deliver us from Evil" nice guitar work on the intro, and the riff doesn't bore me, not once, then Tuck's vocals are laid on and it sounds really nice, while still maintaining the Bullet sound. Finally "Forever and Always" is a very nice rhytmic piece, and when Tuck drops into the phrase "and pick up the pieces" it kind of evens out. And the solo for "No Easy Way Out" is definitly something worth checking out. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were a bit disjointed in some places and didn't flow with much ease in some places and sounded awkward in some places etc, but overall they weren't shocking. Tuck still maintained a fair callibur of metally screams, in my opinion his vocal screams are much more defined than they have been in albums such a The Poison. // 6

Overall Impression: Unfortunately, it doesn't blow my ass off my seat into my neighbours front yard, but it does make me think that they could have done better, BFMV have a oodles of talent and musical ability, but they need to step away from generics and make their next album the best they've ever done. If it were stolen the theif would most likely return it to me within 3 days, and then tell me he kinda got a bit bored with it. // 6

More Bullet For My Valentine reviews rating latest review