The Poison Review

bullet for my valentine: The Poison
Released: Oct 6, 2005
Label: Visible Noise
Genres: Metalcore
This disc is a great improvement on an already brilliant EP, keeping the same style with great screams and guitars and improving melodically, lyrically and each song delivering a catchy chorus.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.9
 9.2
 8.6
The Poison Reviewed by: WaRl0cK101, on may 14, 2007

Sound: This band has made a masssive leap from their EP and it was in the right direction, more of the same from these talented guys. From the beginning it hooks because of the way the intor has been crafted it sets you up on a journey of one of the greatest albums this year. after the calming intro with a backing orchestra and scorching hot guitar riffs the second song on the album 'Her Voice Resides' screams right in your face and blows you away with the killer, hear pounding guitars and fast paced drums. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Tuck has vastly improved his lyrical capabilities through out the year and has come back with some heart felt and brilliantly crafted lyrics which suit the album perfectly such as '10 Years Ago' and 'The end', and with 3 people screaming/singing they really do blend all of the sounds together and give a great result. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best ones I have heard all year and these match the sounds of Triviums 'Acendancy' and they also sound like a fusion of killswitch engage, avenged sevenfold etc. but they still seem to sound original. Some of the best songs on this album have to be: 01. Her Voice Resides - this is the one of the heaviest songs on the album but it has a great breakdown in the middle. 02. Tears Dont Fall - this has to be the Epic of the album its perfect and they show it through skill and carefully crafted lyrics. 03. the Poison - the title track of the album, this is a great song all around and should be one of their singles. 04. All The Things I Hate - this is the slow song on the album and will probably be one of their next singles and a good choice at that as it will appeal to more than just the fans. I could go on and list them all because there all just so good, go out and buy this album if you like Trivium, Killswitch etc. It's a perfect blend of fast paced drums and melodic dual guitars! // 10

The Poison Reviewed by: sebhaque, on may 14, 2007

Sound: Bullet For My Valentine are a metalcore group from Wales. They're instantly recognisable by the familiar combination of harsh vocals (which sound amazing) and clean lines, which also sound really damn good. Musically, BFMV have a fair amount of pinch harmonics heard throughout the album, as well as a few double bass pedal fills on the drums. As with all metalcore, the bass guitar is pretty much inaudible in most of the songs (you can hear its presence but not actually what its playing), but the bass does make a small appearance in songs such as The End. The album 'The Poison' is Bullet's first full-length album, their previous release being a self-titled EP, with five tracks on (including Cries In Vain, a track on this album). It has 13 tracks (detailed later in the review), and in total spanning 53:32. If you're of the mp3 player age, this translates to roughly 43MB at 128kbps. Regardless, the release is a good solid work and I strongly recommend it to you. // 10

Lyrics: Bullet For My Valentine's lyrics are seen as highly influential to both other bands and to the listeners. I honestly think that there is not a single line in a BFMV song that a fan has not used for their MySpace name or MSN screen name (etc). The lyrics' themes are pretty standard for metalcore, being centred around anger and sorrow. To be honest, when you're listening to the songs, you're not really paying attention to the meaning of the lyrics. However, when you look them up, you think to yourself, 'F--k, that's good' (especially for songs like The End). Obviously, the lyrics flow perfectly with the music. You won't find any singing about anything other than the set templates. While some people find this boring and unoriginal, I find it quite the opposite, since there's so much more work involved in writing new material that hasn't already been released. Matt Tuck is a very accomplished singer. He's also the lead guitarist of the band, and even adept guitarists would find singing and playing Bullet at the same time difficult. It's not like you can hear lapses in concentration either way - Matt's singing is flawless, being very impacting (both in heavy songs like Hit The Floor and in more mellow songs like The End). He's a bloody good guitarist too, some of his solos are on par with guitarists like Kirk Hammett from Metallica. // 10

Overall Impression: If anything, Bullet stand head-and-shoulders above the other artists in the metalcore genre. When they played live at Kerrang! XXV in Brixton, they pretty much stole the show, being both amazing playing-wise and stage-wise (nothing beats a load of fireworks as soon as they come on and launch into Hand Of Blood). The songs from the album are as follows: 01. Intro - the intro is an instrumental, as are a fair few intros on metalcore albums. It's a pretty sombre melody with a leading guitar playing a soft solo over the top. It's got the highest note in the whole album, so high that the guy sitting beside me on the bus asked me why I was listening to such high notes (wierdo). Anyway, it's a great introduction to the album, especially as it closes nice and softly right at the end to pave the way for the next track. 02. Her Voice Resides - I love the way this starts. The first time I heard it, I jumped because it starts at full volume with Matt Tuck roaring down the mic. The breakdown is also really good (get used to this phrase, I'll probably be saying it a lot), especially due to the clean vocals used; they really emphasise the theme being portrayed. A great first 'real' track on the album, it's not one of my favourites but I can see why people like it as much as they do. The solo's quite catchy too. 03. Four Words (To Choke Upon) - I'm not sure what's up with the intro to this track, but meh, it's there, what can you do about it. I really like this track when it gets started; reminds me of Atreyu for some reason. I especially like the way the song alternates between harsh and clean vocals in the verse, it really makes the song sound good. The chorus is also pretty good to sing along to, and the solo sounds really good (and it's easy to play on guitar too). Interestingly, when you take out the silly introduction, the song's only 3:12 in length. It honestly sounds like it's about 4 minutes long, but it's a 4 minutes well spent. I also seem to recall this being the first track Bullet ever wrote. It's a beast of a song, that's for sure. 04. Tears Don't Fall - this song is a nice mix of heavy riffs and nice soft melodies too. It starts off with a clean intro, and then progresses to a heavy interlude. The verse returns to clean (I love it), and then the pre-chorus is somewhere in the middle. The chorus goes to heavy (but with clean vocals), and then repeats. When the song develops around the pre-solo, it gets pretty heavy, but after the (noticeably fast) solo, it goes back to the clean again. This song also has a coda; why, I'm not sure, but it's a pretty nice little finishing touch to the piece. In the spirit of 4 words, this song doesn't sound like it's nearly 6 minutes long. Because it develops at around 3 minutes (where you'd expect it to be getting ready to breakdown and end), it sort-of 'tricks' your mind into thinking less time has passed. As a result, I always think this song is about the same length as 4 words, and by catching me off guard I'd probably get the two song times muddled up. 05. Suffocating Under Words Of Sorrow (What Can I Do) - I like this song. I really, really do. I like the way it starts heavy and then you get a little clean bit. This song's also very sing-along-able, especially during the clean bits (I told you so). I love the bit at around 1:43, when the little solo-ey interlude comes in. The lead sounds good, and I love the way the backing guitar and drums 'chug' along in time to it. I remember this song being played live, I kid you not, the whole crowd was headbanging in time to it. It's just a really amazing song. 06. Hit The Floor - two amazing songs in a row. What more could you ask for? I really love the sort of semi-harmonic thing Bullet use in the intro, it sounds damn good. The clean verse is a breakdown in itself, and it sounds great too. The chorus mutes everything except a guitar playing in unison to the vocals, and it sounds pretty damn good. It's also a mosh-ey sort of song, and the verses are so memoreable and catchy that you may find yourself singing them randomly when you're doing something. I sort of wish this song were longer, so there would be more to enjoy. 07. All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me) - a mostly-acoustic song following up one of the heaviest tracks on the record. This song's quite mellow (apart from the chorus and development), and I like that. Interestingly, Bullet sound a little off-tone in this song. Skip to about 1:49, and you can hear a little pitch bend which shouldn't be there. Go along further to 2:42, and you can hear that the chord that is repeated is definetely off-tone to the rest of the piece (you might need to skip back a bit first to understand what I mean). This is the only track this happens on, but it's still a good piece regardless. 08. Room 409 - this piece confuses me. I like the intro/verse guitar riff, but I don't like it. There's just one part of it which I don't like, and the rest is cool. This song isn't one of my favourites, but it's alright anyway. I'm guessing it's because of the lack of clean vocals (there're significantly less in this song than in the others), and it shows - I regard this track as just filler material. 09. Poison - title track from the new album, it's pretty good as a track, but I don't think it's as impacting as tracks like Suffocating Under Words Of Sorrow or Hit The Floor. While yes, the guitar in this song has some of the most complicated riffs and fills in the whole album, I just find the track too tedious. I tend to get bored and change tracks at around 2:26. A decent track anyway, though. 10. 10 Years Today - I see what Bullet did there. Track 10 is called *Ten* Years Today. How funny. Anyway, this track's another confusing one. I like the vocals in this track, but I don't like the verse backing. It just sounds a bit sloppy. It's another thing that's too hard to put my finger on. Other than that, it's got a pretty good chorus, and development. Nothing remarkable, however, that was all achieved in the earlier tracks on the album. 11. Cries In Vain - this track's also found on the self-titled EP, released a while before The Poison. Anyway, it's a pretty good track off the record, but it blows you away when played live. It's got a lot of potential, with bits that Matt can involve the audience in. I like the breakdown where it's just Matt singing (you can feel the bass's presence but it just doesn't do anything except make the floor vibrate). 12. Spit You Out - like the previous track, Spit You Out is a track made for live playing. It even has a little interlude somewhere in it, where you can hear Matt say 'Bullet For My Valentine' to a crowd, who cheer in return. Song-wise, it's a pretty decent song, your average The Poison release. The chorus stands out from the rest of the song though, particularly because it combines harsh and clean vocals in one line of the chorus. The post-chorus is also pretty cool; you can actually hear the bass in this track! It makes an appearance at 3:09, where Matt talks to a crowd. Good song. 13. The End - I really like this piece. It's a great way to end the record. The piece is pretty mellow and depressing, but it really stands out. Since the guitar riff is simple (but goes well with the lyrics), Matt can really concentrate on putting emotion into his voice. By God, they should do this more often. You can really feel the emotion Matt sings, especially in the cleaner parts of the song. Around about halfway, the song starts to get heavier, but returns to the standard intro/verse riff again, but using it as an outro. Matt, this time, since he is not singing, is playing a soft solo over the riff, and the song fades out in this style. This is perhaps the most striking song on the record, particularly if you've had any of the experiences Matt sings about in the piece. Damn, it's a good song. My personal favourite from the album. Personally, I find the songs Four Words, Suffocating Under Words Of Sorrow, Hit The Floor, and The End my favourite tracks. Four Words, Suffocating Under... and Hit The Floor are just really good, fast songs, and The End is really influential for me because I can relate to it. However, I find Room 409, Poison, 10 Years Today, and Spit You Out to be quite mediocre when compared to the rest of the album (they're good songs nonetheless). Honestly, I really cannot put my finger on exactly why, but I just don't listen to them as much as the rest of the album (if they come on and I'm alert, I'll skip them). However, when I'm not paying attention I can sail through them while enjoying them as much as the other tracks on the album. Overall, the album's a damn good release. I'm solidly looking forward to Bullet's next album, and I'm definetely going to pick it up on release. If the album disappeared, I'd certainly get it again, I listen to BFMV nearly every day. // 10

The Poison Reviewed by: BFMV_OWN, on september 29, 2007

Sound: Bullet For My Valentine are a hardcore metal with some insane riffs with killer drums. This album kicks off with 'Intro' a mellow song showing the softer side of BFMV, but then goes into 'Her Voice Resides' easily one of the hardest songs on this album. By now anyone will be impressed now by knowing BFMV's soft and hard side, keeping them hungry for more. In that album there are also 2 tracks from a previous CD called 'Hand Of Blood EP'. These tracks are a hard, '4 (words to choke upon)' and 'Cries In Vain'. 'The Poison', their title track for the album, is one of the best songs there with its lightning fast solo, and heavy singing/screaming. 'Hit The Floor' and 'Spit You Out' also have some insane drums in them. 'All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me)' is a soft song that gets hard by the chorus. The album ends with 'The End' which is also a somewhat soft song with the same type of melody as 'Intro' almost as if it continues it. Every track has hard metal riffs, awesome drums, intense solo's, or even acoustic guitars. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. There is a story behind every song. As far as the singin goes, lead singer Matt Tuck has his own singing tone, and his intense screaming voice. He is amazing at singing, but a lot of people get thrown off by his screaming. If they knew the lyrics and matched it with the singing and screaming, they'd like them a lot more. For Example their song 'Room 409' is a song about finding out his girlfriend is cheating on him. The lyrics and singing matches the music great, and has the bassist, Jay, and the lead guitarist, Padget, to help with backing vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: The Most impressive songs on this album are 'Tear's Don't Fall', 'Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow (What Can I Do)', 'Hit The Floor', 'The Poison', and '10 Years Today'. What I love about this album is the guitar and drums. When you find other bands, there drummers really don't stand out. But when you look at BFMV's drummer you are simply amazed. Their guitars are also great, with their speedy solo's and riffs. If it were stolen or lost, I would make it top priority to buy it again. // 9

The Poison Reviewed by: shane32, on may 14, 2007

Sound: The Poison, Bullet For My Valentine's, newest CD, is definately a must-have for anyone who enjoys listening to emo-metal. This album is very well done, with perfect placing of screaming, singing, and guitar. This is one of the better cd's to come out in 2006. One of the only negative comments that I have about this CD is that there aren't any songs that are particularly original. Also, the guitar playing isn't anything amazing. Other than that, I found that the overall sound was very good. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album, weren't anything amazing. For the most part, it was the average emo lyrics; the one song that stood out lyrically was Ten Years Today, in which they talk about getting a call saying that their friend had died, and then describing of how they felt about what happened. Overall, the lyrics could've been better. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I liked this CD a lot, and I would definately buy it again if it were stolen or lost. While it isn't anything amazingly different from other bands, it is still worthwhile to listin to. This CD is different from other bands, because it is heavier than a lot of other emo. bands. The songs that I like most on this CD would probably be Suffocating Under Words Of Sorrow (What Can I Do), and 4 Words (To Choke Upon). I definately recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys emo metal. // 9

The Poison Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on may 14, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is very distorted. Guitars have a very Cradle Of Filth sound to them in my opinion. Styles are more around the Metalcore, Metal, and Death Metal sound to them. Songs like Her Voice Resides, Room 409, 4 Words To Choke Upon, Hit The Floor, 10 Years Today are perfect examples of how dark Bullet changed from their EP. Songs like Tears don't Fall, All These Things I Hate, Intro, The End, show some softer sounds to try and grab more fans and get more types of people into them, very smart. Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow definately has the best riff on the album. Other songs like The Posion, Spit You Out, Cries in Vain just show some modern Metalcore that they have. The harmonies on this album are great! Solos are incredible. Their clean guitar parts are great with the Phaser and reverb. Definately a big change from their EP. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are very touching in some songs. Like Tears don't Fall, All These Things I Hate, Cries in Vain. They just have something to them that make you think, they also bring some fans along to get more people to listen. Other songs have a hateful meaning, like The End for example, great voice to fit that song. In Some parts Matts voice got really annoying, like in Suffocating, The Poison, some parts in 4 words to Choke Upon, his voice sounds kinda whiny. Jay and Michaels screaming in the back is great with Matts singing/screaming. Matt does have a voice though. Room 409 overall is my favortie, the background screaming is just beautiful, overall the best song. But overlal great! // 8

Overall Impression: My favorites off this album would be: Tears Don't fall, Her Voice Resides, 4 Words To Choke Upon, Cries In Vain, hell every song is great. My favortie off the Song would be Room 409, the guitar playing is great, drumming shows off in this album, dark riffs and sound overall, the singing is beautiful, the back up death metal screams/growls just give this song a feeling. Beautiful. Overall a great album! // 10

The Poison Reviewed by: IglesiasRocker1, on february 11, 2009

Sound: I was first introduced to Bullet for My Valentine by YouTube. I was listening to a Metallica song and saw a Bullet cover of it, so I listened. I thought it was pretty good so listened to one of their own songs and was blown away. The guitar in their songs is great, especially the solos and harmonized riffs, the drummer is fantastic, and just everything about them is great. Padge and Tuck (guitars) use a wide range of effects for their songs, the drummer definetely knows when to put in the kicks, and Tuck is probably the best singer out there. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to this bands songs are very good. Most of them are about breakups and love but all in different ways. They use a lot of metaphors in their lyrics and just overall they are good. Matt Tuck is probably the best singer. He has a very unique voice (probably because of his accent) and he screams VERY well. He has a great range in his vocals and knows when and when not to scream, and also kudos to him for being able to sing and play the riffs that they come up with (not the easiest thing to do) // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I thought this album is great. I went through a phase where this was the only thing I listened to. 01.Intro: this instrumental really gets you into a mood. It's a slow, depressing sounding song with clean tone and violins for about 30-45 seconds then a distorted lead comes in. Overall a beautiful song 10/10 02.Her Voice Resides: this song is GREAT. This scared me when i first heard it because the softness of Intro doesn't lead well into the intro of this song. This song has great riffs, great lyrics, and an outstanding solo. This is probably the heaviest song on the album. 10/10 03.4 Words (To Choke Upon): this song is really good. The words are excellent, drums are great, and the solo is pretty good. 9/10 04.Tears Don't Fall: definetely the highlight of the album, and that's for a reason. This song has some very good sounding riffs in it and words are great just like the other songs. The bridge in this song is very fast and makes you wanna headbang then the solo kicks in. Best song ever 11/10 05.Suffocating Under Words Of Sorrow: just good. Can't really go in depth about it but it's good and it has a good solo 8/10 06.Hit the Floor: one of the heavier songs on the album. Has some funky natural harmonics in the riff (on the 2nd and 3rd frets) and one of the few songs that doesn't have a solo in it. 9/10 07.All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me): really good song. Another that has no solo but the song is amazing. 10/10 08.Room 409: great song. Trust me, it's really good. Hard-hitting with great lyrics, great harmonies, great solo, great breakdown, ahh I love this song 10/10 for sure 09.The Poison: I don't know how this song isn't more popular. It's the title track for one, but this song is very good. Has a good tapping riff, GREAT solo (best on the album) and a good breakdown right after the solo. 9/10 10.10 Years Today: really not the biggest fan of this song. No solo, just ok riffs, pretty slow song. I give it a 7/10 because the lyrics are very good. 11.Cries In Vain: this song is really good. The intro has phaser in it follewed by hard hitting distortion. Great song with some sort of a harmony harmonics solo at the end. 12.Spit You Out: second worst song on the album. This isn't the best song I've ever heard them play, but it's not that bad. Very catchy chorus and awesome breakdown. This one gets 7.5/10 13.The End: slowest song on the album. Still a pretty good song. Kind of like Intro except this song is 5 minutes longer. This song has no solo either but it's good enough to score a 9/10 // 10

The Poison Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2009

Sound: This record of BFMV starts off with a cool little intro with cellos, which is kinda cool but the rest of the CD is pretty much heavy metal, with Matt Tuck and the bass player for the band doing most of the screaming on this record, they both scream good and enough that you can tell there a metal band but not to much that the screaming will get on your nerves. The guitar and drums both sound great and go good together, the bass while at times you can hear it, there are some times were you can't hear it unless you listen really close. This is like the last record with the kind of screams that Tuck does because of surgery on his throat, his screams are better on this CD and there are more of them with the heavier songs. Overall this is a good CD and... That's all there is to it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to the songs are pretty well written, it basically tells you the meaning to the whole song in the song itself which is a good thing if you like finding the meanings to songs. The lyrics and the music itself match up really well, when he sings usually its soft guitar or softer sounding but when either of the people scream it usually shifts into more aggressive sounding guitars or faster drums or just something that adds excitement to that moment. Like I said before the guitarist and bass player sing at parts with the guitarist singing as well as screaming, where as the bass player usually adds backing screams to the songs, both scream really good and really aggressive sounding parts to songs that would be maybe a softer song without them. So overall good hear too. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the heaviest record by them and is done the best with there style, its heavier than Scream, Aim, Fire and that's a good thing. Some of the songs that I found most impressive were Tears Don't Fall, Room 409, Hit The Floor, and Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow, I think those are some of the best songs on an already awesome CD. What I love about it is, it's heavy while still melodic and there real good musicians, the things I hate is... Well I really have nothing I hate about this CD, it's an amazing one. I borrowed it from a friend but if I could I would buy it and if that got stolen I would kiss the ass of the person who stole it and get it back. This CD is amazing anyone who is a fan of metalcore should definately pick this one up. // 10

The Poison Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2009

Sound: As most BFMV fans will know there are many ways of interperating thier genre some will say emo core and some will say metal core. I am not saying I think BFMV are emo core but this is definately thier lightest album and thier most melodic. The almost orchestral guitars matt tuck and mathew padget are amazingly unique and intricate in thier playing style. Each song hails another finger contorting riff and with a very minimal amount of filler power chords as some songs do. This band is obviously guitar based by the fact alot of bands will quite often have filler tracks that are just made up of power chords one after the other. This does not sound bad but it gets repetetive and uses no real skill. The drumming is up beat and fast. Music that can apeal to everyone in the metal audience. A minimal amount of screaming but in balance as to make it not sound like another crappy emo track or some twisted gothic black metal. The instrumentals on this album of all BFMV's albums is the best and most intricate of them all. Thew sound once melded together is a unique revouloutionary sound that no other band could ever quite achieve. // 9

Lyrics: The singing styles on this album are amazing. Matt Tuck's emoesque singing(I still hate emo) is amazing because it doesn't go into a rather tunless mindless voice like Jimmy eat world or fallout boy, but it doesn't go into a bizzarre bring me the horizon scream. Jason james's agressive hardcore growl scream adds the agression needed for the album. It stops songs like 'All These Things I Hate Revolve Around Me' and 'Tears Don't Fall' from being wet. He has a great voice that is very agression inspiring. His voice tells the stories of his life, Neglect, Hate, Sadness and Confused. But the lyrics are this albums let down, lyrics like this bit from suffocating under words of sorrow 'Her fingers running through my hair, But it's all just fiction, She steps out from her underwear'. What does that mean. I mean I prosume it is talking about the fact he's never managed to find love but firstly love is not a very originally topic and probably if you did have a girlfriend and you were in a famous band you would be cheating on her 24/7. Secondly who really cares can't he sing about somthing that matters. And thirdly it sounds like he's watching a porn video and mastibating that line does. Tears don't fall has marginally better lyrics but still marginally fractured. Don't get me wrong I love this band but anyone with common sense knows that these lyrics are bad. The only good thing is that in some of the songs he couldn'y really be singing about anything other than that just because of the melodic style of vocals and guitar in some songs. // 6

Overall Impression: This band is quite obviously the leader of the metalcore industry and is one of the most chart friendly metal bands metal gets. They are relatively accessable as metal goes(excluding some nu-metal: Linkin park, SLIPKNOT, LimpBixit, Disturbed etc.). I reackon that this band will probably end up being one of the main contenders for metal supremacy probably between BFMV, SLIPKNOT, Marilyn Manson and maybe KoRn. They have a sound very similair to metallica which is no surprise because they used to be a cover band who mainly played metallica and nirvana apparently. They are a great band with a sound stronger and more powerful than Atreyu, but a less agressive thrashy sound than Trivium. My personel favourite album of all time just so you know. // 9

The Poison Reviewed by: metalcoredude39, on february 28, 2011

Sound: While at the time the band was still fairly young and still had some maturing to do music wise, the sound on this album is strangely addictive. The combination of heavy guitar riffage and screaming during the verses and melodic choruses works really well here. With the dueling guitar riffs played by Matt Tuck and Michael Paget overtop Michael Thomas's complex double-bass drumming BFMV's music is fairly technical for a 2000's metalcore band. // 9

Lyrics: Lead vocalist Matt Tuck outdoes the average metalcore vocalist by playing guitar, singing, and screaming. He has a very good range, and his screams are well defined too. The blatantly emotional lyrics sang over the band's heavy riffs and breakdowns seems like a bad combination, but that is not the case. The lyrics mostly speak for themselves, and mostly deal with meaningless relationships, breakups, suicide, and getting cheated on. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album that anyone who likes melodic hardcore/metal should buy. I mainly love this album because of its dark mood and melodic guitar riffs and amazing solos. The album's standout tracks are "Tears Don't Fall," "Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow," "All These Things I Hate," and "The Poison." If it was destroyed in an atomic explosion, I would buy it again. // 9

The Poison Reviewed by: jtallen0496, on may 21, 2012

Sound: Bullet For My Valentine is a Welsh Heavy Metal band. This is their first actual studio album. The music is absolutely awesome. The guitars are very loud and fast, and the vocals are over-energized. You can tell that they held nothing back on this record. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are exactly what Bullet Fans expect. They go very well with the music, and are what Bullet always does. Very angry, harsh, and violent. Matt and Jay are very in time with each other, and, as always, blow you away with their mind-boggling singing/screaming ability. // 10

Overall Impression: Bullet For My Valentine is definitely one of the most impressive bands on the scene today. They are one of the few new bands that I actually listen to. I love all the songs on the album. If it were stolen, I would be very upset, and I would find whoever stole my $22 Deluxe Edition. I would still be very upset if it were lost, due to the fact that you can't really find it anywhere anymore. I love the CD, love the band, and would recommend them to pretty much anybody. // 10

The Poison Reviewed by: Kellett1, on july 27, 2009

Sound: At first glance, The Poison seems to be nothing more than your standard metalcore screaming nonsense (which it is, in a sense), but if you were to look deeper you would see that it is very much an original recording. The twin guitar attack is nothing new, but the way it's done here, with as much harmonisation as there is, makes for something of a generic-yet-unique sound, and I have no doubt that it is that which helped to propel the band above most other metalcore bands. However, some of the songs on this album invite a sense of deja vu, with some of the tracks sounding similar, and I can't help but think that BFMV were scraping the barrel in the ideas department towards the end of the album. Depite this, it is a solid recording and an excellent debut album. // 8

Lyrics: As you may or may not know, Matt Tuck (the vocalist) usually writes the lyrics after the rest of the song has been recorded, and there is evidence on it in this album. Some of the vocals don't quite fit in with the music, and there appears to be a reliance on screaming, which gives the album a chaotic and unrefined sound, but not in the way which can make an album excellent (such as in Linkin Park's "Meteora"). On the other hand, the vocal and lyrical talent shown on "Tears Don't Fall" goes someway to redeeming this aspect of the album slightly, and it's the kind of track that makes a good album very good, a very good album excellent, and a bad album pretentious. As it is, I'd say it makes a good album very good. // 6

Overall Impression: I don't know a great deal about the metalcore genre, so I can't really pass much of a judgement about this, but I hear the Lostprophets and Funeral For A Friend are good competitors in the area. As for songs, the most impressive has to be "Tears Don't Fall" (for reasons explained above, and the fact that it stands out so much from the rest of the album), closely followed by "Room 409", simply for the guitar work throughout especially the catchy intro. The best part of this ablum has to be the twin guitar approach to the music, with the harmonisation taking the music to a whole new level. If I had to give a criticism, it would be of the repetitiveness of the album, especially towards the end of it. I would say that this is only a must-have if you love BFMV, and if you don't, but are interested, get Scream, AIm Fire instead, and then get this if you loved that. // 8

More Bullet For My Valentine reviews rating latest review