Mercy Review

burden brothers: Mercy
Release Date: Oct 31, 2006
Label: Kirtland
Genres: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal
The album suffered a big set-back along its journey to completion with the band parting ways with their bassist during early pre-production.
 9.9
 9.7
Mercy Reviewed by: astrocreep71, on december 20, 2006

Sound: Burden Brothers are a band out of Dallas TX. They have a sound that is definately their own. The lead singer/songwriter is Vaden Todd Lewis, ex-Toadies frontman, joined by Taz Bentley, formerly of Reverend Horton Heat's band. It's quite a unique sound. Rock and roll with comprehendable lyrics. It's kind of like putting the Toadies and Thin Lizzy in a blender and smashing said blender. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well thought out. The songs actually tell stories, as opposed to just conveying a feeling. Vaden is a hell of a singer and the voicings behind the words prove that the songs on their own are well written. They could totally be played without the leads, on an acoustic and sound fantastic. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the sophmore effort by Burden Brothers and is more of a band effort (the first album, Buried In Your Black Heart, was mostly two to three people). It's hard to say which song is the best, they're all pretty sweet. One of the things I enjoy about this album is the fact that every time you listen to it, you kind of get stuck on a different song. If this CD were stolen, I would definately buy a new one. The only thing is if were stolen, I could buy a new one, but it could not replace the autographed copy I have now. // 9

Mercy Reviewed by: c-rob6422, on january 06, 2009

Sound: This band is so unbelievable. Their first album (Buried in Your Black Heart (BIYBH)) was a much more gritty rock than this, however it is still a great value. This is my favorite album of all time. The band rocks tracks like "Shine" and "Still", and when you listen to them it makes you want to headbang like you were at their concert (Indeed an exhilarating experience, having seen them live twice). My favorite thing about this album is that ALL of the songs are good, which doesn't happen often enough. Every song has it's own unique character and feeling. Another great thing about this album is even though it is a primarily straight rock album, it has some acoustic moments (in my sky, mercy) and has room for experimentation (I am a cancer, It's Time, Daughter of Science). These are tracks you wouldn't normally hear on just any album. // 10

Lyrics: Vaden Todd Lewis is a great vocalist. He's got one of the best voices in rock and roll. His lyrics are heartfelt and tell a story, instead of just conveying the feeling. Tracks like "trick of logic" and "liberated" just get your heart moving and pumped. My concert favorite of these is definitely "Shine". // 10

Overall Impression: THis album tops all others in my view. I never get tired of it. There's nothing I could think of that could be changed. It is absolutely perfect. Were I to lose this album, I would go buy two more copies. One, for listening, and the other to put in a fireproof/stealproof safe so that if I lost the first one, I wouldn't have to go back to the store. // 10

Comments