Burzum/Aske [EP] Review

8.8
 8.2
 9.3
Burzum/Aske [EP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2007

Sound: Burzum's first album is a black metal classic. Varg Vikernes' one man band spews a raw aggression that few in Black Metal, even other Norwegian bands have to scramble to keep up with. The instrumentation on this album is very fitting, with blasting drums and hard hitting guitar lines. The bass is barely audible, but that's ok, because it doesn't take away from the pit of anger and evil that is Burzum. The second part of this album, Burzum's first EP and second recording is more of the same good darkness that we came to expect from his debut. On an interesting side note, Aske means Ashes in Norwegian, and Varg Vikernes was convicted of the arson of 3 churches and suspected of even more. This EP also features Samoth of Emperor fame on Bass. Very low quality, but that's black metal. Very good sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are standard black metal fare, even with a little power metal thrown in for good measure. (Burzum means darkness in the tolkien-verse, and he gets really into the fantasy hinted at here on his next album). Varg Vikernes has the rawest voice I've ever heard. His blood curdling screams could scare the piss out of anyone who's not prepared for what they're about to hear. Sweet lyrics and singing. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a black metal milestone. While it isn't as good as his next endeavor, this is his most influential achievement. All the songs on this album are kvlt classics. The pounding drums and guitars are amazing. We get a nice break from the brutality with Channeling The Power Of Souls Into A New God, an instrumental track. Then, we get the almost melodic War. Then comes The Crying Orc, another instrumental track that serves as a transition back to the hard hitting black metal we expect. I love this album. If it were lost, I'd tear my house apart to find it. If it were stolen, I would stab the guy who stole it like Varg did to Oystein Aarseth. Jolly good work. // 9

Burzum/Aske [EP] Reviewed by: bigREDgrin, on february 26, 2009

Sound: The sound of this album is dark but that's usual. Very usual for the genre now but at that point I guess it would have been rather revolutionary. Poor production but that's another standard among the genre but. A couple of good riffs hear and there but nothing overly spectacular and I figure I am probably going to upset people by saying that I am not all that impressed with it, but I do like the band and respect them for their contribution to what has become Black metal, not to mention the Count plays almost every instrument on this album and that is deserving enough of anything else you'll hear. Only thing is that's this album has both Varg Vikernes, Euronymous on it; which knowing what we know now is slightly funny. For those who don't know what happened than you probably shouldn't be reading this otherwise Google Euronymous and you'll be properly informed. // 7

Lyrics: I rather like the lyrics, and find them strong, and to the point which is the way Count Grishnackh is and comes through in the lyrics. Music works well the with lyrics, could have been better but respectable none the less. Singer skills were average, but this was one of the earlier CD's so considering that you have to give him some leeway. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall the CD is enjoyable and that's all that it is suppose to accomplish, so because of that it's a good album. "Dungeons of Darkness" and definitely "Feeble Screams from Forests Unknown". I like the raw style but don't care for the poor production. I would buy it again just because I am dedicated to the genre. So if you like the CD buy more and send Verg some letters for him to read in prison. // 8

More Burzum reviews rating latest review
+ The Ways Of Yore 6 07/01/2014