Filosofem Review

burzum: Filosofem
Released: Jan 1, 1996
Genre: Black metal, dark ambient
Label: Misanthropy Records / Cymophane Productions
Burzum's legendary album "Filosofem" is in my opinion really overrated album and it's success is mostly based on the opening track.
 7.7
 8.3
review (1) 19 comments vote for this album:
Filosofem Reviewed by: Jøhnny, on july 01, 2010

Sound: Burzum's legendary album "Filosofem" is in my opinion really overrated album and it's success is mostly based on the opening track "Dunkelheit." While the album isn't as good as everyone says, it's not a bad album, it's just overrated. The album is clearly divided into two sides: the killer and the filler. First comes the killer: The opening track "Dunkelheit" is a great slow and crushing song which had a huge influence on Dark Ambient Black Metal and is the main reason why this album is so popular. This song also has Burzum's only music video. The second track "Jesus' Tod" is my favorite. Although it's monotonous and has the same drumbeat repeated for like seven minutes without pauses or fills, the song just has something that makes it really good, I really don't know what. One reason is the awesome riffing since the song features some of Burzum's best guitar work. Final track from the killer side: "Erblicket Die Tchter Des Firmaments." Nothing special really to mention about this song, but it's great! Then to the filler side: "Gebrechlichkeit" I and II are just useless songs. The first one doesn't have any riffs or drum beat, it's just random monotonous chords and singing, and the second one is exactly the same without vocals and has a long useless intro featuring random noises. And then there is "Rundgang Um Die Transzendentale Sule Der Singularitt", a 5-second-melody consisting of 5 notes repeated for 25 minutes and that's it. While Burzum's previous Ambient songs were pure awesomeness, this is just boring and useless. Yes yes, it has "the atmosphere" but even "the atmosphere" can't save a song like this. All the "side filler" songs contain the three ingredients of a filler song: they are simple, boring and too long. The album's sound is extremely raw and brutal which probably makes it impossible to like for people who are more fans of good production, but for me the only problem is that some riffs in "Jesus' Tod" are quite difficult to hear, otherwise the production is okay for me, and it should be okay for all those who like old school Black Metal and all kinds of raw BM. // 7

Lyrics: While I have no idea about the lyrics, the singing is great! Varg is known for his inhuman screaming vocals which he did on the first three Burzum albums, but here he sounds different. No, it's not traditional Varg, but that doesn't mean that the singing sucks. On "Filosofem" Varg's singing is more like a mixture of traditional and raw Black Metal vocals and he in fact sounds darker than ever. The singing is easily the best thing on the album. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, half of the songs and 62,5% of the albums length are just fillers so I can't really give the album 9 or 10 although most of the world's Black Metal fans would give either one. "Filosofem" has it's great moments during the first three tracks, but after that the album becomes boring crap. However, I'm pretty sure that fans of Raw and monotonous Black Metal find all the songs great, it's just a matter of taste. While the album is overrated, it's still worth buying, especially if you're a fan of Burzum, and all fans of Black Metal fans should at least try listening to the album (most of them have probably already listened to it) since majority of all BM fans say that "Filosofem" is one of the greatest albums in the history of Black Metal. // 7

More Burzum reviews rating latest review
+ The Ways Of Yore 6 07/01/2014