Letters Review

butch walker: Letters
Released: Aug 24, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Singer/Songwriter
These quieter songs ground the album's more colorful moments; they help create the cycle that's so often missing from records these days. Walker's made an album for all the mornings after.
 9.9
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Letters Reviewed by: starbomb13, on april 25, 2005

Sound: The sound is very California-vibed, hence the many references to California in the lyrics. He uses a lot of vox in his songs, a lot of acoustic mixed with electric, and piano which adds a sensitive touch to the music. At the end of some songs, he likes to switch the vibe and does a little remix to fade off into the next song. His style isn't completely different from artists out there, but he has a distinct edge of his own, as he can make something that wouldn't be considered 'poppy' and make it pop without letting go of an alternative vibe. // 10

Lyrics: Basically, it's a love album-some would say that emo is s--t and 'pussy', but Butch does add a sensitive edge to the lyrics, without going fully 'hopeless and desperate' mode. The lyrics are pure genius, but you can sense the sincerity, and I like the direction of the lyrics, they have an optmistic appeal to them. Singing skills - Butch is a great singer, I love his voice cause it's clear with a bit of 'rust', not whiny, not strainful, but really pure. // 10

Overall Impression: I am officially obsessed with this album, and I'm not ashamed to say it. Fave songs 'So At Last', 'Lights Out', and 'Mixtape'. Overall - all songs are well put together and as an album, flows well. I got into Butch when I went to another avril concert, and he was opening for her - he sounded awesome and had a real stage presense, and I liked all the stuff he produced for bands like Bowling For Soup and Avril - he's incredibly talented, and knows how to put together a song to fit any appropriate emotion. If it were stolen, the thief better write his will soon and have a nice last goodbye with his momma. // 10

More Butch Walker reviews rating latest review