Hairway To Steven Review

8.9
 9.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Hairway To Steven Reviewed by: RaDiOhEaDfAn121, on february 05, 2010

Sound: When I hear "Hairway to Steven" I hear a unique sound. It opens with one of the greatest tracks on it "Jimi." It has this Pink Floydish progressive rock feel in that it is like two songs in one and that it's just over 12 minutes. The Butthole Surfers are pretty much masters at making punk rock fused with psychedelic influences. Many of their songs like "Backass" play certain parts of the songs backwards to give the song a trippy feel. Other memorable songs include "I Saw An X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas", "Fast", and "Rocky." The solos and use of guitar pedals show that the Butthole Surfers deserve more attention than they have recieved. // 9

Lyrics: Now this is the weakest part as far as the Butthole Surfers albums at least with the earlier ones. I love Gibby's lyrics in such songs as "I Saw an X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas." They are just downright hilarious. Yet Gibby isn't the most talented singer. He sings very well on songs like "Rocky" and "I Saw an X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas." On others his singing is just okay. He songs are very weird at times and often don't make sense. For example, on the song "John E. Smoke" he says things that contradict themselves yet can be funny to hear like "crippled lesbian boy." How can a Boy be a lesbian? That aside it's best not to take the lyrics too seriously. // 7

Overall Impression: While there are a few songs that are just okay overall I really love this album. The ones that leave the biggest impression on me are "Rocky", "I Saw an X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas", "Backass", and "Fast". I feel as if this is some of the best 80s underground rock. Gibby's voice isn't the best but it's bearable and can even make a song really memorable like on "Rocky." // 8

More Butthole Surfers reviews rating latest review