Locust Abortion Technician Review

butthole surfers: Locust Abortion Technician
Released: Mar 1987
Genre: Avant-Garde, Hardcore, Psychedelia
Label: Touch And Go
This is an Avant-Garde masterpiece. It's a truly fearless record, that just doesn't give a f--k about what anybody will think.
 8.9
 9.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Locust Abortion Technician Reviewed by: What's a genre?, on may 11, 2012

Sound: In a nutshell, the sound of this album, is the most weird and unusual thing I've ever heard. To alot of people this album is probably just crap noises put together by guys on acid (and I guess the second part is true), but if you're a fan of Avant-Garde music like myself, this album will be pure genius to you. All kinds of madness is on this record, from a Thai singer's voice been manipulated to sound like he's saying the word "C-nt" over and over again ("Kuntz"), twisted mechanical noises ("U.S.S.A") and what I can only describe as electronic instruments killing themselves ("The O-Men"). // 10

Lyrics: This is an Avant-Garde masterpiece, therefore this album does not gain it's merit on melodic hooks and melodies, nor does it contain vocals used in heavier types of music. The truth is there is virtually no singing or lyrics on this album. I've given this section a 4 because some people might class the sampled spoken word parts and Gibby Haynes random mumbling on a microphone as singing, but to me singing and lyrics needs to be in sections even if it's just two or three sections that are completely different to each other, and that's just not what's done on this album. It's really just a piece of brilliant randomness. // 4

Overall Impression: I bought this album several months ago and I'd never heard anything like it, and haven't since. It's a truly fearless record, that just doesn't give a f--k about what anybody will think. The most impressive songs for me are "Sweat Loaf", for it's hilarious spoken word intro; "U.S.S.A" for it's shear insanity; "The O-Men", for it's electronic madness and "Kuntz", because it's the one song that can get my mum to leave my room when she's irritating me. // 10

More Butthole Surfers reviews rating latest review