A New Shape Of Desperation Review

6.7
 4.3
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
A New Shape Of Desperation Reviewed by: tentukel, on january 25, 2010

Sound: Falkenberg, Sweden's By Night was formed in 1999. Since then they have released one split CD along with Cipher System and two full-length albums, Burn The Flags and A New Shape Of Desperation, the latter is the album I'm going to review. I had never heard of By Night when I saw they were doing a local gig for their tenth anniversary but I decided to check it out anyhow. I was not disappointed. Their brutal mix of experimental and death metal completely blew my mind and I bought the A New Shape Of Desperation album right after they had finished. Their use of odd intervals and rhythms create a mystic feeling throughout the album, mixed with the aforementioned brutal sound it all just adds up into one beautiful death metal piece. To enjoy the album to its fullest, I recommend to just sit back and listen to the whole album since the songs go into one another which makes just listening to individual songs take away some of the luster from the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this band fit with the music and especially with the singer. Reading through the booklet makes it clear that the lyrics have a deeper meaning, which in my opinion is a great plus. Notable is the 55 seconds long track "Idiot" which is written in the band's native tongue, swedish. The screaming-only singing style in the album is simply amazing and the non-existant growls are never missed. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is very good. I have never regretted buying this album, not even once. This band can be compared to some bands but the bands I think has the biggest similarity to this band are Within Y and Meshuggah. Combining Meshuggah's technical prowess with Within Y's melodic death metal results in something very close to By Night's sound. Now for the biggest drawback: the recording quality. In my opinion the sound of the album is not very good. It lacks a bit of punch. However, the recording quality is easily forgotten when one hears tracks like "Through Ashes We Crawl" and especially the opening track, "The Truth Is Sold". After hearing that track with the adjoining intro, it's hard to stop listening to the album. I think By Night is a band to be reckoned with, and that we will be seeing a lot more of them. // 9

Comments