Comfort Eagle Review

cake: Comfort Eagle
Released: Jul 24, 2001
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Grunge
While new fans might enjoy Comfort Eagle on its own merits, Cake followers may feel as though they've bought the same album twice.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.7
 9.9
 9.4
Comfort Eagle Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: This is Cake's pop album, but make no mistake, it's not anywhere near the crap that other pop music pulls. 01. Opera Singer - sarcastic with a catchy melody and builds from a simple drum beat to a full sounding laid back but not slow song. 02. Rick James - faster and just as catchy as its predicessor it is far more obscure but overall one of those amazing songs that you may not remember. 03. Shadow Stabbing - another building song that is superb and quirky. 04. Short Skirt, Long Jacket - one of the most fun songs ever, pure pop brilliance while being totally sincere. 05. Symphony In C - the most symmetrical song on the album, its still very good. 06. Arco Arena - an instrumental that is very cool and serves as an introduction for. 07. Comfort Eagle - a pounding and insanely cool guitar riff is acompanied by an almost middle eastern guitar and flute part. one of my favorite Cake songs ever. 08. Long Line Of Cars - a pounding and an staccato bassline combined with cynical vocals and great guitar and trumpet parts make this a great song. 09. Love You Madly - almost like a sequal to "Short Skirt." It's a succesful one though, catchy and and fun beyond reason. The best track on the CD. 10. Pretty Pink Ribbon - slowing down after "Love You Madly" just a little, it's okay. 11. World Of Two - change the CD after Pretty Pink Ribbon, this song attempts to be like some of the other great Cake slow songs such as "Friend is a Four Letter Word" and "Cool Blue Reason" but in reality, it fails. Just ignore it. This album really mixes in the disco and funk for something truly unique from a band that was truly unique to begin with. // 10

Lyrics: Simplistic but honest, they work perfectly with the music. Good unless you love obscure stuff, because you won't find anything obscure about these lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Great, Maybe not Cake's best work but easily their most accesible. If it were stolen, I'd buy it, within the week I'd buy it. // 10

Comfort Eagle Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 17, 2005

Sound: Cake have a unique sound. Use of synth noises and trumpet are excellent. Guitar riffs are clever and original. This album is obviously more pop like. The vocals are perfect, all the instruments fit so well together, there could not be a better vocalist for this band. Guitar solos pop up on some songs are very very well done. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good in most songs, but sometimes ryhmes are weak. The lyrics usually have random subjects, sometimes with sarcastic meaning, like opera singer. As I said before, I could not imagine anyone else singing for this band. The singers voice is quite low, but his voice is flexable. A good 9 for for Lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of Cake's best, in my opinion. Lots of Cake classics. Highlights of the album are: Comfort Eagle, Commisioning A Symphony In C and Shadow Stabbing. There is nothing I dislike about this album. If you buy a Cake CD, make sure its this one (or fashion nugget, also very good). If I lost this, I would not hesitate to get it again! // 10

More Cake reviews rating latest review
+ Prolonging The Magic 7.7 03/07/2011