Fashion Nugget Review

cake: Fashion Nugget
Released: Sep 17, 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/ Rock, Post-Grunge
They wallow in sophomoric jokes which rely on self-consciously elaborate wordplay.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Fashion Nugget Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on august 18, 2006

Sound: I bought every Cake CD within the span of a few weeks after I finally got hooked by "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" from Comfort Eagle. For a long time, Comfort Eagle was my favorite Cake album. The problem is, ask me on any given day now and it'd probably be a toss-up between Fashion Nugget, Prolonging the Magic and Comfort Eagle. The fact is that Cake has never released a dud. Their first album suffers in quality, but considering they were unknowns at the time, one can't blame them for working on a shoestring budget. The music is still great. At the end of the day, I find myself coming back to Fashion Nugget again and again. The big single on this album, "The Distance" is, in my opinion, one of the weaker songs. That's saying a lot. Check out Frank Sinatra, Friend is a Four Letter Word, and Daria for a small glimpse into the genius that is Cake. The lyrical imagery and their catchy melodies quietly wrap themselves around your brain. They are certainly the masters of making more out of less. // 8

Lyrics: This CD is an amzing showing of the musicality of this group and their ability to write music of such diversity between the different pieces and still manage to make them sound good, the trumpet solos rule. There is politics and poetry in their music which I think is very admirable. Lyrics go very well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: If you ever get a chance to go see Cake live, do it. Watch everybody sing the lyrics to every song. It's a great experience. If you've heard their typical radio fare (Rock 'N Roll Lifestyle, The Distance, Never There, and Short Skirt) and have been even mildly interested, you owe it to yourself to go buy Fasion Nugget. You'll soon find yourself owning all of their releases. As a good friend of mine would say, "Trust me". // 8

Fashion Nugget Reviewed by: Gamblor'sGuitar, on september 23, 2004

Sound: I love this band. Great song lyrics never conformist. These guy use trumpets, acustic and electic Guitars, an organ, and a bunch of other stuff to. Creative never stale always fun to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: Overall it has great lyrics. On Daria part of it is a strech on some of the lyrics. By strech I mean like go to Lame-o (cheap writers block fill in). Very good when every thing comes to gether to make lyrics pop like trumpets behind words. The singer uses talent and experiance to gide flow of words. Overall transendant. // 10

Overall Impression: Other artist go with the flow, they make there own river. I was impressed by there new ways of creating mealodies for cariing you away. I love the music and solos of trumpets. I hate the long bridges. They are full of tallent but they could definately be shorter. If I had this stolen I would buy it again. I love it so much I listen to it once a day at least. // 10

Fashion Nugget Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2004

Sound: Cake is awesome, theres no other way to describe it. Combining funk, and alt rock and trumpets! (Not ska.) I've listened to this cd many times, and I haven't gotten sick of it. And they highlight to me, is their cover of "I Will Survive". They took that song and made it their own, using their own style, and a catchy/awesome bass line, just shows how good they are. one of the most unique bands out their. // 10

Lyrics: Well, if anyone who has listened to Cake before, you will realize that they singer is a very talented song writer, and he has never written anything I would call Cliche. Yet, he doesn't have the most talented singing voice (or at least he doesnt show it) he sing in a pretty monotone voice, to almost a comical extenet, but with the blend of that and the music, it sounds awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: If you like Pavement, Primus, you will enjoy cake. They have some other cds: Prolonging The Magic, Comfort Eagle, Motorcade Of Generosity and their newest release (Oct 5, 2004) Pressure Chief. If I lost this cd, I would def buy it again. // 10

More Cake reviews rating latest review
+ Prolonging The Magic 7.7 03/07/2011