Showroom Of Compassion Review

8.6
 8.1
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Showroom Of Compassion Reviewed by: JMan513, on january 31, 2011

Sound: Ok so this is Cake's sixth album and I've got to say that the sound on it is pretty good. The album seemed, however, to change from the previous albums released by Cake. While Cake has usually sounded like a light alternative band, at least in there newer albums, in this album they're sound has gone to back to sound like some of they're earlier albums such as Fashion Nugget and Motorcade of Generosity. The guitar riffs are simple but perfect for each song and when there is use of brass instruments like the trumpet they're always used in the right parts of the song and help make the song flow from one part to another. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are amazing! They are all sung greatly by John McCrea in his usual style of voice which on this album is usually in his monotone speaking type voice this is used on songs like Sick of You and Federal Funding. The lyrics which are written, also like previous Cake albums, are using much rhyme in certain parts of certain songs and otherwise using words to help set a kind of story which makes each song that has lyrics great. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a very hard album to compare with another and the only one I can think of is another Cake Album, Fashion Nugget. Out of the whole album, while all of the songs are good the songs that are probably the best have got to be Sick of You and Federal Funding just because of the lyric repetition that is used to great effect in them. The only thing that I think is wrong with the album is that some songs seem to similar to other songs written by Cake, which after awhile kind of gets old after awhile, but other than that the album was great and if the CD was stolen from me and I did not have it on my iPod or computer I would definitely go to the store and buy another one. // 9

More Cake reviews rating latest review
+ Prolonging The Magic 7.7 03/07/2011