Two Review

calling: Two
Release Date: Jun 8, 2004
Label: RCA
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
While the Calling didn't really break any new ground with this record, it's still an above-average album, so if you like light rock, feel free to give it a spin.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
Two Reviewed by: turnfoot, on september 29, 2006

Sound: I have always liked this band & their music. They've released 2 albums already & I'm surprised that no one has posted a review here yet. Well, let me be the 1st one to do so. The Calling isn't that different from all the other pop-rock, alternative bands out there. But that doesn't mean that they're bad. Their music & sound in general is very anthemic & sad at times. It's the type of music that makes you feel. Especially on the song If Only. Probably the saddest song I've heard in quite a while. // 10

Lyrics: As I always like to do, here are my impression on the lyrics: 01. One By One - a good song. But probably not one of the best ways of starting the album. But when you hear this you get a good idea on what the album will be like. This song in particular is about a guy who desperate & lost, & has almost lost the will to live. 02. Our Lives - the 1st single. Good anthemic song. About living our lives to the fullest. 03. Things Will Go My Way - definitely one of those songs that give you an uplifting feeling. It's about looking to the bright side. Cause things will eventually turn out for the better. 04. Chasing The Sun - I'm really not a big fan of this song. It's still good though. About wanting to be with someone so overwhelming, it feels like your chasing the sun. 05. Believing - good, slow song. It starts off with a subtle verse. And when you think that it will have a powerful chorus, it maintains it's subtleness & simplicity. About believing in yourself. 06. Anything - now, this is one of my favourites. And one of the better songs in the album. The song is about willing to do anything for someone. 07. If Only - wow! Great song. Possibly on of the best love songs I've heard. Because it's about love & makes you wanna cry everytime you hear it. The chorus is the sad part. 08. Somebody Out There - I really don't like this song. I liked the guitar solo though. Carries the same theme as One By One, but this time it's about a girl. 09. Surrender - I didn't like this song at 1st, but it grew on me. I'm still not sure about the lyrics. But I think it's about sex. 10. Dreaming In Red - good song. It really gives you the feeling that you're dreaming. Obviously, this is about dreaming. 11. Your Hope - not a big fan of this song. Not a good way to close the album. The lyrics go extremely well with the music. Especially on If Only. Alex's voice is unique. Which is a good thing. But he sometimes sings the "oh's" & "yeah's" too much. // 8

Overall Impression: To the people new to this band, I recommend buying their debut album 1st. Then go ahead & buy this if you like what you hear. The best songs would have to be If Only, Our Lives & Anything. As always, I wouldn't buy the same album twice. But if it were stolen/lost, I'd buy their debut album. Since I don't have it yet. Good album, & a must-have for all you guys who like songs that make you wanna cry & stuff. // 9

Two Reviewed by: Doowhop, on march 26, 2008

Sound: "Two" is a simple name for the second record of the band, mistaken on this website, originally named The Calling. Just to prove some knowledge. The album rocks, at the same time it urges to kick back and listen closely to the in-depth, personal songs of Alex Band and Company. Songs like "Our Lives", "Chasing The Sun" and "Anything" are the kind of hit material the band was known for. And adding stuff like "Your Hope", "Dreaming in Red" or "Believing", you get to understand what Potential and Skill The Calling proved at the peak of their band success. Drum arrangements, Fill-ins, full-range Chords, everything that I appreciate in modern rock/pop music, is more than nicely done and the songs stay in mind for quite a while. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics, a major point to success or failure, are really good all over this nice record. Songs like "One by One", "Somebody Out There" or "If Only" tend to have you thinking of how we go through our lives, why we think or feel the way we do, and what may change if we shared a little more of our own, or if we became a little more thoughtful and attentive. Oh yeah, singer skills, well, if you've ever heard Alex Band sing, you know this is an instant answer-itself. I mean, this guy can really sing. Big YAY! for Alex and his singing, as well as the great songwriting. // 9

Overall Impression: "Camino Palmero" definitely comes back to mind, when thinking of the overall impression of this album. But also, it's another step forward, it's rather the record you'd like to present to your friends for their birthday, instead of some music that dies in a back corner of your ipod memory. As for myself, this album is a standard on my walkman-cell, because it always fits in anywhere that my life takes me. Long and short of it: give it a listen if you didn't do so yet. This record, nay this band, is worth it. // 9

Two Reviewed by: darkangel1330, on june 25, 2009

Sound: This a great for the bands first album, Alex Band and Aaron Kamin co-wrote the songs on this album. The album name was taken from the name of the street Alex and Aaron grew up on but the front cover of the CD is a picture of Florence train station. There is a mixture of different styles on this album, there are songs that are more upbeat and rocky and others that are soft rock ballads. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album, the words just speak to the listener in many ways. There are many meanings behind these songs that Alex Band has revealed over the years. Some about heartbreak, love, being different, dealing with loss in so many ways, etc. The lyrics are excellent without all the music behind it, as you can hear sometimes if they play them acoustically. When you add the music it takes it to a whole new level. Alex Band does such a brilliant job with the vocals, I think if it were anyone else singing these songs they may not sound as good. Alex is so passionate about music and you can hear that when he is singing, his vocal range is awesome too. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say this album is definitely worth a listen, there are some songs that won't be everyone's cup of tea though. When I first heard "Adrienne" I wasn't all that keen but it has grown on me. My favourites from this album is "Wherever You Will Go", "Could It Be Any Harder" and Stigmatized" although I do still love all the others. I listen to it on my computer, in my car and on my mp3 player. This album is on heavy rotation and is dangerously close to wearing out! Might have to make sure I replace it before that happens! // 10

More Calling reviews rating latest review
+ Camino Palmero 8.4 08/02/2007