What Doesn't Kill Review

8.4
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
What Doesn't Kill Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 16, 2004

Sound: "What Doesn't Kill You..." is the fourth major release of Brooklyn's band Candiria. Before we can continue with the actual review, it's necessary to tell a story which lies behind the album. By looking the albom's artwork over you can see the consequences of a severe car accident which took place September 9, 2002 when the band's van was damaged by the eighteen wheel tractor-trailer. "I can tell you that it was the most violent and intense moment I've ever experienced," says bassist Michael MacIvor. "The memories of the van crushing down around me and being pelted with glass and metal are permanently etched into my mind." The band survived and with the fresh strengths started to record their new CD "What Doesn't Kill You..." With no doubt, the car accident had an impact on the band -- the guys are doing their best, squeezing out all the juices from the gear, mixin' up all possible styles into 35 minutes of the album. Chopped and distorted guitar riffs of the album just a perfect soundtrack to the cover. Adding even more angry to the overall feeling, crushing drums and abstract sounds at background make it sounds like a savage shamanism. It's hard to accent on any particular song from the album -- most of them have been made in a single concept: groovy guitar parts, destructive drums and scathing rap-alike screaming vocal work of Carley Coma. The opening track "Dead Bury The Dead" with a heavy riffing guitars have somewhat memorable tune and the off-time drums. "The Nameless King" could be perceived as the intro to the 4th track "Remove Yourself" -- the album's most surpising and unusual one. To my believe, there were not much experiments with the reggae music and everything I've heard before doesn't stand even close to what the guys did here - rap-hard-whatever-core reggae-like tune of "Remove Yourself" arrive just in time after 10 minutes of nightmare of 3 previous tracks. Don't worry, my dear Candiria fan, you will fall back into the horror just in 4 minutes -- "1000 Points Of Light" and "Vacant" tracks are the most agressive on the album. "The Rutherford Experiment" -- the final track on the album -- is really match up to the title. It's a mixture of synthetic sounds and speedy guitar solos. Being a homely song by itself, it fits perfectly to the album as the outro. // 10

Lyrics: On "What Doesn't Kill You..." Carley Coma uses less hip-hop and rap influenced vocals in comparison with the earlier albums. Coma, who has rapped and screamed on past Candiria's albums, demonstrates his singing skills and his sharpest lyrical focus to date. He added in some songs clean singing which actually sounds really good directly in "The Nameless King." // 8

Overall Impression: With no doubt "What Doesn't Kill You" will be that violent and intense album for every open-minded hardcore fan. "What Doesn't Kill You" is a bitter pill, insanely made of alternative metal, pure hip-hop, hardcore, progressive jazz and reggae ingridients. The band doesn't fear to experiment with the sound and style, and this is what we should respect them for -- there are not much bands out there which are ready to play that game. "It's our most emotional album ever and we all should have died in the accident. This album never would have been made. But we didn't and I think that it is going to be our best work yet," -- says Coma on the album. Absolutely right. // 8

Comments