Sound: From the 13th Sun continues in the style of its predecessor Dactylis Glomerata, but there are huge differences between them, Dactylis Glomerata is very dry and boring when compared to From the 13th Sun. Both have a great atmosphere but the songs on this album are just better written, the songs themselves are very simple, mostly comprised of three or four riffs and a strange synthesizer section but don't take this as a bad thing because the riffs are amazing, they are heavy and very doom metal.
01. "Droid" is a heavy song,I love the intro and verse riffs,great song
02. "Tot" is a simple but excellent song,it has an interesting mid tempo section towards the end
03. "Elephant Star" sounds a lot like Black Sabbath's Symptom Of The Universe, it's catchy and that's all it is, no gravitas at all
04. "Blumma Apt" another Sabbath-esque song, it has a couple of good riffs especially the intro
05. "ARX/NG 891" is similar to "Droid" very confusing and dense
06. "Zog" is a five minute long instrumental with a long repeating intro, but it's suited well for headbanging
07. "Galatea" I like the clean guitar section the rest is a bit boring
08. "Cyclo-F" is a nine minute long song composed of two riffs, a hell of a song, the only flaw is the long drum solo which disrupts the rhythm of the song.
09. "Mythos" is a fitting outro, it's more or less a mesh of distorted sound and effects. // 10
Lyrics and Singing: Lyrically this is a confusing album, you can interpreted the the lyrics in a hundred different ways, to me that is the best thing abut this album, the lyrics give it its dark, threatening and mysterious vibe.
Sadly lyrics like these can only be found on Dactylis Glomerata and From the 13th Sun, there are similar ones on Abstrakt Algebra's first album (that is the band Leif Edling formed after Candlemass disbanded) but that's not the quite the same thing. // 9
Impression: This is an album that every fan of doom metal must have, the singer wont be to everybody's liking and there are boring parts but overall it's a great album, Candlemass' best material in the 90s. My favorite song are "Cyclo-F", "Zog and Tot". This album is my honest recommendation for anybody who is looking for good doom metal album. // 9