Tomb Of The Mutilated Review

cannibal corpse: Tomb Of The Mutilated
Release Date: 1992
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
Released in 1992, Tomb of the Mutilated helped establish Cannibal Corpse's reputation as one of metal's goriest, most vile outfits.
 8.9
 8.7
 9.1
review (1) 35 comments vote for this album:
Tomb Of The Mutilated Reviewed by: Ankou, on october 14, 2005

Sound: The first CC album I picked up, and I was not disappointed. Right from the start we get the skullcrushing Hammer Smashed Face. The title says it all, extremely heavy sounding guitars, hyper fast drumming and a bass interlude? Yup, it's there. Vocalist sounds like he's trying to spew his guts out into the microphone. I Cum Blood follows, again a brutal riff fest. The guitarists sure know how to make a damn brutal riff. Also the solos here are great. Kudos to these guys. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, as you can imagine, are quite disturbing to those not already inaugurated into the death metal world. The titles themselves can at times be disturbingly delightful, such as "Necropaedophile" or "Post Mortal Ejaculation." The lyrics go well with the music, even if, at times, they don't really have much point other than adding to the putrid effect of the music. Vocalist (Barnes, I think it is) can do very low death metal growls to mid range screams, the guy can do it all! // 9

Overall Impression: Other bands in the genre would do well to create an album as crushing as this. Although not the most extreme band on the planet (that title would probably go to bands such as Agoraphobic Nosebleed or perhaps The Berzerker), they surely are technically proffiecient in their respective fields. For me, the highlight of the album is Hammer Smashed Face, their most popular live song to date. If the album were stolen, firstly I would track the person down and cause them a lot of pain (obviously reading from the lyric book to get some ideas). Or I could just buy another copy. // 9

More Cannibal Corpse reviews rating latest review