One Trick Pony [EP] Review

Genres: Classic Rock, Blues
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
One Trick Pony [EP] Reviewed by: meh!, on november 03, 2006

Sound: This is Cannon Fodder's first EP and it seems like a good start. The guitar is chunky, with catchy riffs throughout (See Revelations, Moving In On My Turf and Tumbleweed). The drums are solid and do their job, nothing to fancy, which is what drums should be for me (For me they shine through most on Soul For Sale). My views on the singing are mixed, it is sounding good on Revelations but soul for sale sounds a tad weak. It's classic rock though, who cares about vocals? // 7

Lyrics: The singers voice is fairly good on average, done well on some tracks but lacking in other areas. The opener Tumbleweed is a simple story about a lone-ranger-type character's journeys. Mr Big Shot, A song about getting your comeupance, something we all wish was , more often, true. You reap what you sow. Revelations, simply put, an anti-war song, with some biblical references thrown in for good measure (But not pretentious anti-war, like Neil Young. Moving In On My Turf, is a paraody of the (poorly written), overtly macho, metal lyrics trend in some metal bands today. Soul For Sale, starts with the line Bono is on TV, he's got apple in his hands. He's using it to feed the starving Africans. Apple as in Apple computers. It is a song that is basically about 'naff millionaire rockstars, product endorsment, and people who care. // 6

Overall Impression: Listening to Revelations or Moving In On My Turf, I challenge you not to, at the very least, nod your head and, more likely, whip out your guitar. The EP is filled with catchy riffs, there is a few inspired lyrics and some well done vocals. Overall the band has a good feel and the music has a life of it's own. My main gripe is the song "Moving In On My Turf". It's intro and chorus are very nice, but the main verse riff transports me to the '80s. That is something I don't thank the band for. The instrumentation isn't up to par with AC/DC or any other classic rock giant, the lyrics are definitley an better than AC/DC lyrics thoug. Definitley a good first EP. If it was stolen I would buy it again (it's only a fiver). // 8

Comments