'Til Death Review

capture the crown: 'Til Death
Released: Dec 18, 2012
Genre: Metalcore, Electronicore
Label: Sumerian Records
"'Til Death" is the debut studio album by Australian metalcore band, Capture the Crown.
 4.8
 3.7
 5.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
'Til Death Reviewed by: vppark2, on april 14, 2014

Sound: Capture The Crown are an Australian metalcore band formed in early 2010, after the break-up of Atlanta Takes State. After much hype from the YouTube video, "You Call That a Knife, This Is a Knife!" I decided to finally check these out, but mainly due to Jarrod Alonge mentioning them in one of his videos. I just had to know who/what these guys were and what they were trying to make in music. First of all, is it 2009 again? The unclean/cleans, guitars, synths sound just like Asking Alexandria's debut album. I'm not just saying this because they're both on the same label (at the time of writing this review, no), but because there is literally no difference between "Stand Up and Scream" and this album from CtC. The only possible difference is their live performance. I don't care how irrelevant this is to the review, but I give you one of their live videos. My ears are now put to shame. after literally making myself listen through this. All I heard was noise.

If you actually listened through that whole video without cringing or laughing, I give you props. I couldn't. But really, the whole reason I posted it was to show you how their live performance was as compared to their studio work, and also keep in mind that I'm not bullshitting. The uncleans sound painful, and the cleans sound weak and strained mainly in the live performance, but the album itself does show a lot of really typical generic metalcore vocals, as well as mindless open chord chugging. There's no way in hell you could even tell one track from another due to there being open chords on literally every single track. I mean, there are some okay hammer-ons/pull offs on each track, but there really don't do much justice to give the sound section any better. Open chords can be okay, but not when they're bastardized like this. // 4

Lyrics: Aside from the hashtag shenanigans, "#OIMATEWTF," the 2nd track after the intro track, features some of the weakest point of this band.

"Say what you mean
The future isn't what it used to be
You tore out my heart
But I have found it again
Say what you mean
The future isn't what we used to be
You tore out my heart
But I found you b-tch

Move b-tch
Get out the way
Get out of the way b-tch
My hands are full
My mind is straight"

The ending lyrics also killed me, hysterically.

"You were my drug [x4]
I hope you f--king die
Excuse me I told you to move
Excuse me I told you to move"

Another song that clearly shows how much they respect women is in "You Call That A Knife? This Is A Knife!"

"Welcome to sin city b-tches.
Please refrain from throwing your f--king body over the side
Fasten your f--king belts
Because this is going to be a rocky ride

You're nothing more,
Than a self-centered whore.
You're nothing more,
Than a self-centered whore.

How does it feel b-tch?!"

Also, I have no idea what they were trying to do with "Storm in a Tea Cup." The song literally sounds as if Brokencyde were to release random, shitty dubstep releases, along with autotuned singing. The screaming is just utterly painful to listen to. "The Departed 2.0" is the only soft song on the album. For a second, I thought it was the last track off the album. Little did I know... // 4

Overall Impression: This album clocks in at 49:37, and really fourty nine minutes too late. The uncleans sound like a dying bat, the guitar work and drum work is simple and boring, and the lyrics are laughable most of the time. You'll have to wash out your ears or listen to something really good if you end up listening to this. I don't see this band going anywhere in another year. If they do, they'll get washed up with the many few generic and newer metalcore bands in this scene today. Call this electronicore if that suits their sound more to you, but these guys are clearly giving Australia a bad name. // 3

Comments