Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious Review

carcass: Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious
Release Date: 1991
Label: Earache
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
It sounds phenomenal, and the musicianship here is a huge stride forward for the band, especially that of Steer.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.9
 9.8
 9.9
Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious Reviewed by: saddam, on october 25, 2005

Sound: Better production than their first two albums (those of you who have heard these know that the sound was utter crap, wich was too bad because there were some amazing songs on those albums). The sound is very raw and ferocious: guitars sounding like chainsaws and drums banging your head off is what you can expect from this album. Bass is practically not audible, but this is quite common in most extreme metal bands, shame though. This is their first album that features Michael Amott (now "Arch Enemy" leader) on guitars and that's definately a good thing, his melodic solos are a perfect match for the fast, shred-like solos that Bill Steer produces (on every song they each exchange one or more solos). The songs are packed with head crushing riffs that sometimes are on the verge of genius, and you won't get tired of a song because they don't tend to repeat the same riff over and over, unlike a lot of other metal bands. To summarize: an original, dirty, gory sound, wich is not a surprise, since Carcass were still a gore band in those days. // 10

Lyrics: As I already mentioned, they were a gore band (Necroticism was their last gore CD though). The lyrics are pure genius, varying from how to use corpses as manure ("Inpropagation"), to making pet food out of decomposing human flesh ("Pedigree Butchery"). The words that they use are mostly taken straight from medicinal handbooks (but not as frequently as on their first two albums), so a lot of the lyrics are impossible to understand for anyone who isn't a pathologist. Bloody and disgusting lyrics are standard on this album, though if you listen carefully you can discover a certain cynical humour underneath all the gore. I am certain of one thing, those who claim that James Hetfield is the lyric-master of metal are to be cut in half and fed to wild swines, Carcass' lyrics (written by almost every member) are phenomenal, but only if you try and understand everything they contain. Conclusion: superb! // 10

Overall Impression: This band is in my opinion the best band ever, and this is their best album (Heartwork is great too, but it just doesn't give me as much goosebumps like this album). Great guitar work, original lyrics and an overall powerful vibe are the things that summarize Necroticism. A must have for any death metal fan! // 10

Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious Reviewed by: mentalrazorback, on may 22, 2009

Sound: From the very first moment I listened to this album, I was hooked. It was exactly what I had been looking for in terms of musical aggression, songwriting ability and technical skills. It may not be as aggressive as some of Carcass's earlier works yet it still sticks out as an incredible album. It's evident that their songwriting has evolved a lot since their previous albums. The songs are much longer and more developed than in their previous two albums. This does not take anything from them though. I believe that it makes the songs a lot better. Of particular mention are the guitar solo's They are constantly incredible sounding both technically and melodically. The album, Necrotism: Descanting the Insalubrious is Carcass's third full-length album. It was released originally in 1991 on Earache Records. Most of the songs on the album deal with gory and strange ways of dosposing with dead bodies for example, the song Inpropagation is about fertalising soil with human remains. The style of music is more death metal style than before. The grindcore style still remains although it is less apparent than on their previous albums. There is also a lot more technical ability on display than other albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album are very intelligent. Intelligent to the point where they're head-wrecking. The band themselves are very intelligent people and take pleasure in flaunting this in front of their listeners. There is also a strong sense of humour hidden throughout the lyrics of each song. But you may need a dictionary beside you when figuring them out. This also. Their lyrics are brutal and gory throughout the duration of the album and fit perfectly with the music which is equally brutal and violent sounding. There is no real singing in the album. Instead the lyrics are growled and screamed aggressively but still manage to bring a lot to the music. They really suit the kind of music that they're playing. Of course, some people may not find this particularly enjoyable but to fans of this style of music it will not disappoint! // 8

Overall Impression: Of all their albums I personally think this is one of the best if not the very best album that Carcass have made. It's very aggressive throughout yet it may disappoint fans that got into them through their earlier works as it does not have the same bloodthirsty anger. Also listeners who got into the band through their later stuff will be surprised as it is a lot less accessible than their later stuff. The lyrics are much more complex and the songs are very long. I also think that it stands tall among all of the other death metal releases from that preiod right up to now. In my opinion the most impressive song on the album is Symposium of Sickness. It is surprisingly melodic while still being incredibly heavy. It also contains some of the most incredible sounding guitar solo's that I have ever heard. What I really love about the album is how everything fit's together so well. Everything has a very proffessional sound and the band lock together very tightly. Also of particular mention is the drumming which is constantly brilliant and lays very solid foundations for the rest of the instruments. Also just to mention again that the lead guitar work is consistently spectacular. There is very few things on the album that I disliked although I would mention again that if you're not a fan of growly vocals you will most probably not enjoy this too much. Also the lyrics are probably not for everyone as they are quite gory and hard enough to understand. If it were stolen or lost I would certainly buy this album again. It's one of the most enjoyable death metal records to listen to and although it's quite aggressive at times it is melodic enough so that it can be listened to at any time. It's definitely an essential album for any fans of death metal or other forms of extreme metal. // 10

Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious Reviewed by: Kuroishi_x, on november 25, 2011

Sound: This album is third album by death metal band from England, Carcass. It was released by Earache Records in October 1991. Band consisted of Jeff Walker (vocals, bass), Michael Amott (lead & rhythm guitar), Bill Steer (vocals, lead & rhythm guitar) and Ken Owen (drums). If you are looking for a death metal classic, look no further. Do not expect something too brutal, because after every album they released, they lost some of their goregrind roots. Carcass choose technicality over brutality and the result is an enormous amount of chugga-chugga riffs. Just listen to riffs in "Corporal Jigsore Quandary" and "Incarnated Solvent Abuse". You can also find lots of guitar solos, which, I think that all of them are named either by Amott or Steer. They decided to put some spoken words at the start of some songs, but the speakers, especially woman, can get a little annoying. // 10

Lyrics: Walker was always master in writing too complicated lyrics, that are hard to understand even if you have dictionary at hand. The lyrics are still gory, but with more indirect approach. This is also the last album that features deep guttural vocals done by Steer. You can still hear some goregrind going on in this vocals, which are, by the way, very good. // 10

Overall Impression: With all riffs and vocals (ok, I forgot to mention drumming) this is very consistent album without bad song. The only minus is that some songs are just too long. Nevertheless, the best songs are "Incarnated Solvent Abuse", "Inpropagation" and "Corporal Jigsore Quandary" (the drums and the main guitar riff always gets me head banging). This is perfect album for death metal fan, but be warned, you can get turned off because of lengthy songs. But for riff lovers (like me) this album will be perfect in your collection. // 10

More Carcass reviews rating latest review
+ Surgical Remission / Surplus Steel [EP] 7.2 11/18/2014