Abraxas Review

artist: carlos santana date: 09/28/2005 category: compact discs
carlos santana: Abraxas
Released: Sep 1970
Label: Columbia
Genres: Rock & Roll, Psychedelic, Album Rock, Latin Rock, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Pop/Rock
Many of the Santana albums that came out in the '70s are worth acquiring, but for novices, Abraxas is an excellent place to start.
 8.6
 7.2
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Abraxas Reviewed by: Hanzi_G, on september 28, 2005

Sound: Santana: Abraxas is probably one of the best fusion-jazz records ever produced. This is one of the first recording by the Santana band, and in my opinion, the best. It has a great jazz/latin sound with catchy rock riffs and a smooth, beautiful guitar tone throughout the CD performed by Carlos Santana. Another aspect of the CD that sticks out to me is the percussion. There are many bongo drum parts put on this record, and it is really great. This record is full of great jazz/latin/rock tunes with absolutely amazing guitar work and amazingly written songs. // 10

Lyrics: There are very few lyrics on this CD, most of the CD is instrumental, and even if there are lyrics, they are in latin, which I find very unique. This type of music doesn't really need lyrics to get it's point across, so I don't really mind the lack of lyrics. The only song that has alot of singing is "Hope You're Feeling Better," which is probably the "poppiest" song on the record. The lyrics are nothing special, but then again, when have pop songs ever had special lyrics? Overall I'd give the lyrics a 10 because the Santana band can show that a record doesn't lyrics to make it special. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, this is one of the best fusion-jazz records ever. Actually, this is one of the best records ever. It features famous Santana songs like "Black Magic Woman" and Oye Como Va, it has jazzy tunes like "Incident At Neshabur" and "Se A Cabo," soft, slow, beautifully written songs like "Samba Pa Ti" and great rock songs like "Hope You're Feeling Better" and "Mother's Daughter." So if you are looking for a rock/jazz masterpiece with amazing guitar work and beautifully written songs, then you must get Abraxas by Santana. // 10

More Carlos Santana reviews rating latest review