Supernatural Review

artist: carlos santana date: 06/10/2006 category: compact discs
carlos santana: Supernatural
Release Date: Jun 15, 1999
Label: Arista
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Album Rock, Latin Rock, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Pop/Rock
The Arista debut of Carlos Santana and band gives fans of the soulful guitar vet two albums in one, but it's a decidedly good-news, bad-news proposition.
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Supernatural Reviewed by: Matt Montoya, on june 10, 2006

Sound: For five decades, Carlos Santana has changed the world of music, with his fusion of Rock, Latin, Jazz, and others. He started out with some of the greatest albums of all time, with his self-titled debut, "Santana III", and his legendary masterpiece, "Abraxas". With a series of low record sales of the '90s, he made one of the biggest comebacks with "Supernatural", skyrocketing the charts, and winning plenty of Grammys, including Song Of The Year and Album Of The Year. Overall, Supernatural is a good album with all kinds of music that will never cause boredom. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, but I can't understand all the lyrics in Spanish, only some of them. Here is my individual review of each song: 01. (Da Le) Yalleo - A great song with good rhythm, and a good chorus. This is an incredible way to open up the album. 02. Love Of My Life - Not the best, but a good song, where Dave Matthews has good vocals. 03. Put Your Lights On - an okay song, but the vocals could be better. 04. Africa Bamba - a good song with above average percussion, great acoustic guitar, and the vocals are a flashback to the old Santana vocals. 05. Smooth - winner of Song Of The Year, "Smooth" has more modern vocals, a great solo, and a salsa feel. People might be tired of it because it was played on the radio 30 times an hour. 06. Do You Like The Way - also an okay song, with good trumpets, but I am not a fan of the vocals of Macy Gray. 07. Maria Maria - great bass, good vocals, and awesome guitar playing; both acoustic and electric. 08. Migra - a song with great vocals, and although the drum playing isn't as talented, it sounds somewhat like the legendary Ginger Baker of Cream. 09. Corazon Espinado - a salsa-feel, which sounds like something that would be heard at a Mexican restaurant. This is a track I highly recommend. 10. Wishing I Was - good vocals and rhythm. 11. El Farol - also a salsa-feel, but more mellow. Although not the best, it is still a good song. 12. Primavera - good vocals. 13. The Calling - one of the best songs on the album, which could be seen just by hearing that it has Eric Clapton. It obviously has good soloing, and it's the best song to close the album. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album. The best album from Santana in a long time. The songs I recommend are "(Da Le) Yalleo", "Corazon Espinado" and "The Calling." If you don't have any albums from Santana, and you want to get one, I suggest you get Abraxas, but if you are a fan, then I think you should get this album. // 9

More Carlos Santana reviews rating latest review