Hell Chose Me Review

carnifex: Hell Chose Me
Released: Feb 16, 2010
Genre: Deathcore
Label: Victory
Deathcore is here to stay, if Carnifex have anything to scream er,say- about it, with the all-brutal Hell Chose Me.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 6.9
 7.4
 6.4
Hell Chose Me Reviewed by: UG Team, on february 19, 2010

Sound: Equal parts death metal and metalcore, Hell Chose Me is fast, furious, unrelenting, brain-smashing and intense for all 10 songs that comprise the record. Guttural, Cookie Monster growls? Check. Blast beats? Plenty. Ultra-fast riffery? Oh yeah, got those. If you like death metal with a few strategically placed, mosh-worthy breakdowns, then Carnifex will supply you with what you are looking for on the title track, Dead Archetype and Names Mean Nothing, which are the album's most blood-chilling tracks. It's standard death metal with mosh parts and doesn't diverge too much from the formula, but it also doesn't attempt take the melodic fork in the road, either. If you like Cannibal Corpse, Despised Icon and Morbid Angle as much as you like Six Feet Unde and Hatebreed, then you'll totally be impressed by Carnifex, because Hell Chose Me has elements of each of those bands in its sonic stew. There's even a little bit of black metal styling to the guitars on Entombed Monarch, so if you like Cradle of Filth, Carnifex may appeal to you on some small level. Again, I'm not saying sounds like; it's more like in the same family, no matter how distant the relation. // 7

Lyrics: You can actually discern some of vokillist Scott Lewis' words here and there, even though they are delivered in several extreme styles: growls, grunts, barks, pig squeals. When he slows down for a second to toss off a line, you can sometimes understand the lyrics. He doesn't attempt any clean vocals at all; just a total assault on his larynx. Lewis probably didn't talk for a month after laying down his vocal tracks for this album, because he's vicious throughout. He doesn't deviate too much from the standard delivery, but what keeps Hell Chose Me fresh is how Lewis switches back and forth between three different styles, which are the Cookie Monster growl, shrieks and squeals. // 6

Overall Impression: Carnifex have a real affinity for death metal and it shows on Hell Chose Me. The playing is efficient and fast enough to make your puny little brain feel like a racket ball being whacked back and forth and between two paddles. But it's also not reinventing the steel, either, to borrow a phrase from Pantera! It's decent, likable deathcore, with a bit more emphasis on the death than on the core. There's groove. There's breakdowns. There's speed. All of these are the hallmarks of a quality metal record, which Carnifex have delivered. Elitists may not be super fond of Carnifex but younger kids will enjoy the exposure. // 7

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2010

Hell Chose Me Reviewed by: FoulIncantation, on february 19, 2010

Sound: Carnifex are a Deathcore band from San Diego, California America that formed in 2005 and "Hell Chose Me" is the bands third album offering released feb 16th 2010 through Victory Records. There are 10 tracks and they are Hellishly Titled: 01. Hell Chose Me 02. Dead Archetype 03. Entombed Monarch 04. Names Mean Nothing 05. Heartless 06. Sorrowspell 07. The Scope Of Obsession 08. By Darkness Enslaved 09. The Liar's Funeral 10. Genocide Initiative The Line Up On This Record: Scott Lewis - Vocals Fred Calderon - Bass Cory Arford - Guitar Ryan Gudmunds - Guitar Shawn Cameron - Drums I'll be honest I've never really been a fan of Carnifex upon hearing the bands previous effort "The Diseased and the Poisoned" album I just thought it sounded dull and repeative, and just didn't really go anywhere with me that was until now hearing "Hell Chose Me". I'm much more of a fan of Death Metal bands like Cannibal Corpse, Skinless, Dying Fetus and Aborted. Much more than alot of Deathcore bands such as Suicide Silence and Bleed From Within. But I'm not here to argue which genre is better their both great genres in their own rights. I'm simply here just to write how much of an improvement Carnifex have made. As the reason why I mentioned those Death Metal bands was because Carnifex have slowly but surely crept more into the realms of death metal on this most recent and exciting effort. The band still utilizes breakdowns along with ear pierching pinch harmonics which is still very Death metal I mean look at bands like Suffocation, Dying Fetus and Aborted they are Very much pure death metal and have Breakdowns in their music. The guitars have much more of a personality of this one than on their previous efforts, the drums are blasting alot more on this one, the bass... well haha, the bass must be doing something right? I think its good that the bass doesnt use distortion, though then it could probably cut through the mix and kinda clash with the guitars. The production on this album is superb, you can hear all instruments well, nothing really is louder, there all at a level mix. The musicianship is great also it has seemed to improve to a new level where it just all flows together like an everflowing stream. // 8

Lyrics: The vocals are probably the some of the most awesome I've heard within Deathcore. They do a lot of over dubbing with the screaming and growling vocals which Is something I've always quite liked. Similar to what Deicide do, not vocally but the same kind of style in which they present it. The lyrics on this one seem to be more along the lines with Hatred, Death, Hell (haha of course),Blasphemy, Pain, Damnation, Suffering that kind of thing. Here are some lyrics from "Entombed Monarch" "I Am Bred To Be Broken, Crush Your Bones And Leave You Choking. I Rose From The Dead To Make Sure Angels Never Sing Again. I Won't Stop Till These Mountians Move. I May Not Kill You But You'll Die From The Wounds. Forty Days And Unholy Nights My Reign Of Terror Only Matches My Might" The lyrics on this album are pretty awesome, I recommend to read along to them with the songs there quite interesting and there not boring at all. // 9

Overall Impression: Hell Chose Me is a respectable and stable effort by Carnifex. Its not like their breaking any new ground or its the first of its own to be done but its a nice effort. It defintly went past my expectations and I'm glad it did, I like it when bands go past my expectations and kinda make me go why? Did I think that in the first place? This band is pretty awesome! Worth a check out if you're into Deathcore/Death Metal music or just any type of music and wanting to explore into different realms. Standout Tracks: Entombed Monarch, Heartless, Hell Chose Me and By Darkness Enslaved. Thanks for reading, I know I'm probably not the best person to be writting a review for this album, but I gave it a go, Its only my opinion anyway...vist the bands myspace thanks! // 7

More Carnifex reviews rating latest review
+ Die Without Hope 6.4 03/07/2014