The Diseased And The Poisoned Review

7.3
 6.4
review (1) 31 comments vote for this album:
The Diseased And The Poisoned Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 07, 2008

Sound: If there was ever an album that would make the perfect soundtrack to the Halloween movie series, it would have to be Carnifex's latest release The Diseased And The Poisoned, out on Victory Records. Their death metal carnage exhibits the hell-raising growls of Sepultura, the blood-curdling mayhem of Hatebreed, and the maniac scraping and roughly bristled shredding of Machine Head. The music is sure to scare the crap out of you, and infest your earlobes with a chronic buzzing liken to an overly populated beehive. The salvo of drum strikes played by Shawn Cameron tramples savagely over the pounding rounds holstered by bassist Fred Calderon, while brutally cutting into the open sores made by guitarists Ryan Gudmunds and Cory Arford. Lead vocalist Scott Lewis never lets up on the hedonistic growls, the teeth-kicking punches, the ferocious screams, and the pit-bull snarls snaking through the charred channels and cavernous crunching, all amplified to a thunderous pitch and typhoon velocity. Each track is as bestial as the next displaying animalistic chomping, razor-sharp shears, strangulating tugs, bruising slams, acidic foaming, feral scratching, and volcanic scorching that produce massive pandemonium all in the name of making sonic layers that howl in skin-peeling agony. Carnifex make death metal as brutal as their forefathers. The venomous bite and guttural pitch of Lewis vocals is nightmarish and the deluge of demonic strikes and raging shreds are metal edged and purposely packed to bust eardrums. Carnifex capitalize on their ability to create a blood-bath atmosphere with a chainsaw cycling that can tear clear through plates of steel. // 7

Lyrics: Beneath the sonic rampage, the ravenous biting and the earth-shattering grumbles are lyrics that torch the mayhem. Such can be heard in the phrases of In Coalesce With Filth And Faith as the words inflame, This is hate and all the passion that goes with it / This is love and all the sickness I feel because of it / Because of you / I crowned you during death / Adornment of my dying bride / In coalesce with filth and faith / Your salvation deaths embrace. The enraged phrases open up sores and wounds that need to unchain their fury like in the track The Nature Of Depravity as Lewis reflects, The fears of my past are more than real / No script will offer comfort / All I have is the eyes of my nightmares / The beginning of the end is upon me ... I welcome the darkness / I let it in. The words are so honest and release such deep hatred and anger that it shakes the foundation beneath your feet. // 8

Overall Impression: Carnifex's words and music are relatable to people with deep emotions. It is for people who feel cornered and trapped and possibly clawing their way out of very abysmal conditions. The music may not appeal to fans of The Jonas Brothers, but it is honest and speaks from a genuine place. Carnifex's words express a legitimate gripe that enhances it's appeal. Deriving their name, Carnifex, from the Old English word for executioner, the band brings to life the death and destruction of the Dark Ages through their crushing strikes and charring shreds. Profoundly, there is a place in modern times that is reminiscent of the Dark Ages, which might explain why death metal bands are experiencing a new awakening. The legends of the Dark Ages are undergoing a new harvest in Carnifex's music, just with a more contemporary thrust being flexed in it beefy fists. You'll need eardrums made of something stronger than steel to withstand Carnifex's carnage. // 7

- Susan Frances aka sweetpeasuzie (c) 2008

More Carnifex reviews rating latest review
+ Die Without Hope 6.4 03/07/2014