Move Like This Review

cars: Move Like This
Released: May 10, 2011
Genre: New Wave, Art Rock, Garage Rock, Power Pop, Post-Punk Revival
Label: Hear Music/Concord Music Group
The Cars returns to the music scene with their new 2011 album release, "Move Like This". Overall, this album is great, and I recommend this album to any Cars fan. It may take a few listens for some of the songs, but overall this album does not disappoint. Rejoice, The Cars are back!
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Move Like This Reviewed by: CinderellaFan14, on january 20, 2012

Sound: The Cars returns to the music scene with their new 2011 album release, "Move Like This". But did The Cars keep to their original sound, or did the years influence their sound? The answer to this question is simply no! In fact, one could say that The Cars have only gotten better with age! Ric Ocasek makes sure to show this with his amazing vocals on this great album. The album kicks off with a very Cars-sounding song, "Blue Tip". It sounds like it came straight out of the 80's, with an upbeat tempo, simple guitar and bass work, classic Cars keyboard work, and Ric's trademark sound only makes this song even more enjoyable. After this upbeat blast from the past, we move into a slower song called "Too Late" with a few modern touches, but is definitively a Cars song and an instant classic. After these two great Cars tracks, Ric throws a curve ball with an almost hard rocker, "Keep On Knocking", which is surprisingly good after a few listens. To recover from the musical shock, the album transitions back into a slower classic Cars song, "Soon". We finally go back into the upbeat Cars music with "Sad Song", which is the first single for this album. This song, as much as it upbeat, took a couple listens before I really could enjoy it, but now it's one of my favorite Cars songs. I can't say the same for the next song, "Free", though. It became one of my favorite songs when I first heard it! This song proves to all fans young and old that The Cars still got it. The Cars change the music up with "Drag On Forever", which is a slow song with pretty heavy guitar, sleigh bells, and almost sounds like a Christmas song! The strangeness continues with "Take Another Look", which has some crazy guitar and keyboard chords. Both of these songs are good, however they are a little different than the classic Cars I know. As surprising as it may be, the album ends on a good note, which I couldn't have guessed based on the last two tracks! "It's Only" and "Hits Me" are both great sounding songs from The Cars, much like "Blue Tip" and "Too Late". They're pretty upbeat, classic sounding songs. The Cars overall did a really great job with this album! Some of the songs I had to do a double-take when I heard them, such as "Drag On Forever" and "Keep On Knocking", but not in a bad way. They just took some time to get used to, and after a few plays, I really enjoyed them. I've been wearing this CD out, simply because when I heard the Cars had a new album, I was so excited, I went out and bought it the day it came out, and it became an instant classic for me. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for the songs on the album really work well. The lyrics are definitively lyrics made for Cars-sounding music, and Ric does an amazing job as always. He sounds as good as he did on the records 20 years ago! No change in quality of voice or anything of the sort, which is a good thing, as his voice is one of the main components that makes The Cars infamous. // 10

Overall Impression: "Move Like This" by The Cars is a really impressive album, and sounds like it came right out of the 80's! Ric Ocasek does an incredible job on this album, and doesn't forget to show his talent. The album mostly keeps the classic Cars sound alive and well, but a few really stand out as being the best. The best songs of the album have to be: 1. Sad Song 2. Blue Tip 3. Too Late 4. Free 5. Keep On Knocking These songs are really what make the album stand out and sound excellent. I don't HATE anything off this album, but what I dislike has to be how some of the songs came out. Tracks such as "Drag On Forever" and "Take Another Look" really bummed me out, as I was expecting a full album of great Cars sounding music, but the band had something else and mind and got a little crazy with some of these songs. Overall, this album is great, and I recommend this album to any Cars fan. It may take a few listens for some of the songs, but overall this album does not disappoint. Rejoice, The Cars are back! // 9

More Cars reviews rating latest review
+ Complete Greatest Hits 9.5 09/25/2013