Chained To The Nite Review

8.7
 9.8
review (1) 15 comments vote for this album:
Chained To The Nite Reviewed by: guitfiddleRR, on september 24, 2010

Sound: Upon hearing this record you may think "Oh yeah! Old school heavy metal is making a comeback!" Well, unfortunately not quite, but this album is certainly a step in that direction. Released in 2009 on Earache records, Cauldron's debut album will make you yearn for the days when Metallica was touring for Kill em All and the NWOBHM burned bright. This album is complete with, head-bang inducing riffs, searing solos, driving drums, and classic but original vocals. If you need convincing, just listen to the driving intro to "Midnite Hour". If you are a real, vintage metalhead who is repulsed by all the "nu-metal", you will find sanctuary within this record. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album aren't quite as effective as the way they are sung. Jason Decay (lead vocalist and bassist) has a very creepy, but inviting metal voice. Give this guy a few more years development and he will have created an entirely new way to sing metal. Its not quite a growl, its not very operatic. Its still in the works, but still, it works. As for the lyrics themselves, they tie with the music pretty well for a debut album. Parts of the lyrical work could use a bit more development, but seeing as this is the first album, they will get the attention they need. // 8

Overall Impression: My band opened for these guys last summer, while they were touring for this record. Their performances are just as good as the album, and they deserve to be recognized. "Conjure The Mass" and "Midnite Hour" are the crowns of this album for me. This band is not very well known yet, and I am hoping this review gets them more attention. There are many kids out there looking for new music like this, and finally here it is. This album proves that good metal is still in existence. I will do whatever it takes to make sure this album is within my collection of music. I must say, that I am looking forward to future releases. Good job guys! // 9

More Cauldron reviews rating latest review
+ Tomorrow's Lost 6.7 05/23/2013