Tomorrow's Lost Review

6.7
 8.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Tomorrow's Lost Reviewed by: Face R1pper, on may 23, 2013

Sound: Of the new generation of metal bands, Cauldron is heavy metal at its purest. And like the previous album, "Tomorrow's Lost" is another set of songs that feels like it could have been taken from the mid-'80s. In other words, the sound is exactly the same as the previous album, except there are harmonies this time! Once again there is a new drummer, but this hasn't affected Cauldron's chemistry much. What I believe makes Cauldron so outstanding is their approach to composing music. Each instrument exists for the song, creating a synergy where no single instrument dominates the song. There is nothing pretentious or extravagant about this music. Cauldron's only intention is to create genuine heavy metal in its purest form, and "Tomorrow's Lost" shows that Cauldron is one of the most successful and consistent bands of this style from our generation. // 9

Lyrics: Like I said earlier, the vocals are like each of the instruments, they are written to fit perfectly with the instruments around it and are not designed to be an impressive or even an essential part of the music. Jason Decay's vocals are effective at carrying a melody over each song, and he doesn't try to take control of the song like other vocalists may. Decay's style and tone fits the music perfectly and makes each song more fun to listen to. Rather than displaying great technical skill, the vocals are outstanding because of the way they are written. Though Decay's range is not large, he has also improved both as a vocalist and musician from previous albums. He knows how to utilize his voice to enhance the composition and to emphasize certain parts of the song. // 8

Overall Impression: "Tomorrow's Lost" is an album that I am still listening to almost weekly more than six months after its release, and is an essential purchase for anyone who still cares about this style of metal. Though, I prefer Cauldron's previous album "Burning Fortune," "Tomorrow's Lost" and the accompanying tour have confirmed my belief that Cauldron is the best band to form in the past ten years. They made a good decision in choosing "Nitebreaker" for this album's video because this song has one of the best guitar riffs and vocal chorus. My favorite songs from the album are "Endless Ways," which progresses and flows better than any Cauldron song since "Witch Trail" on the first album, and the title track for an atmosphere that I am unfortunately unable to successfully explain. But I often finish the album by playing this song twice so it certainly stands out. One small problem I have with this album is that a couple songs that sound good could easily have been written better to be equally outstanding. When I first played the album and heard the first track, "End Of Time," I felt like the song didn't have the quality and effort that I was used to hearing from Cauldron. After listening to the next two tracks I was no longer worried that this album would be a decline in Cauldron's high quality of work, but I then felt similarly about the fourth track "Burning Fortune." Most obvious is this song is way too short, but it also feels rushed and has greater potential than what was recorded on the album. By modern standards, Cauldron is quite unique in their ability to minimize post-'80s influences, and this can be either excellent or terrible depending on what you are looking for. But for those people that keep complaining that our decade has no good music, stop complaining and start looking for it. It's everywhere.

// 8

More Cauldron reviews rating latest review
+ Burning Fortune 8.3 11/14/2011