Inflikted Review

Cavalera Conspiracy: Inflikted
Release Date: Mar 24, 2007
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Rock
The Cavalera Conspiracy is its own maniacal, untamable beast with its own set of rules.
 8.9
 8.5
 9.3
Inflikted Reviewed by: postmortem2006, on february 27, 2008

Sound: It's finally here! The reunion of Max and Iggor Cavalera that Sepultura fans have been waiting for since 1997. Listening to this record certainly takes you back to the glory days of Chaos A.D and Arise, yet there's still the downtuned riffage that Max has been reknowned for. I could even go as far to say that this album sounds like Morbid Vision, albiet with better production. The title track basically sets the pace for the album, it's a fast riffathon with an incredible groove and and catchy as hell chorus, followed by an insane shred solo by Marc Rizzo. Second track and promotional single 'Sanctuary' really starts things up, with no slow intro or build up. It literally just jackhammers you in the face from the start, and Sounds like it could've been stripped straight from Arise. Things start to get slightly death metally from hereon, as 'Terrorize', 'Black Ark' and 'Ultra-Violent' show certain influencees from the likes of Terrorizer, Napalm Death and even Celtic Frost. Take this from me, I cannot put 'Black Ark' into words, it's something you have to listen to to believe. Tracks such as 'Bloodbrawl' really shine through on this album, with incredibly tight playing, catchy hooks, incredible solos and fantastic vocals. The final track 'Must Kill' is quite possibly THE best song Max has ever written, being heavy as sin with such an awesome title and incredible playing from Marc Rizzo once again. The tone on this album is brilliant too, the bass is perfect in the mixes and Iggor Cavalera makes the drums sound like thunder. Max's voice is as violent and brutal as ever, with his gutteral roars being accompanied on 'Black Ark' by his stepson Ritchie. Rex Brown of Down/Pantera fame makes a bass cameo on 'Ultra-Violent' I can't find anything wrong with the overall sound on this album, it's been written, recorded and mixed to absolute perfection. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are a tough one on this album, made even tougher by the fact that I don't have the lyrics at hand since the album isn't officially released until March 24th. From what I can gather, 'Inflikted' shows somewhat of an apocalyptic themed song, and 'Must Kill' is self explanatory within itself. I'll probably post another review of this album once I've bought it so I cna go into lyrics a little deeper. // 7

Overall Impression: Well I'm astounded. I knew that the Cavalera reunion was going to be good, but I didn't think it would be better tan 'Beneath the Remains' and 'Dark Ages' put together! I can't say anything bad about this album, it's quite simply the album of 2008. Every member plays tighter than any of the material I've heard from their previous bands, every riff and every vocal line is catchy and heavy, and the album is utterly relentless. From start to finish, 'Inflikted' will pummel you with it's mighty brazilian fists of fury, swinging your around by your throat, breaking your teeth on the walls, and it doesn't let you go until you're bleeding and hungering for more.Standout tracks are 'Inflikted', 'Sanctuary', 'Black Ark', 'Bloodbrawl' and best of all, 'Must Kill'. When this album is released, buy it without a second thought. It will be the best purchase you'll make all year. // 9

Inflikted Reviewed by: Walter Alfredo, on march 26, 2008

Sound: Cavalera's way to do their sound: You bottle a monster for ten years and then let it out. It's explosive, and we waited a long time for this beast to be set free. These words are from Max Cavalera, guitarist and vocalist from Cavalera Conspiracy, the newest Cavalera's brothers project. Last time that Max and Iggor Cavalera where together in a studio-album was in 1996, at the recording of Sepultura's Roots. Since then, there was a split in the band, with Max's exit. He continued his musical life with the Soulfly, while Iggor remained in Sepultura. // 9

Lyrics: About the lyrical part, the words match the sounds. Strong themes, heavy songs. Every single verse is shouted at full voice by Max, which's skills as singer match with the force of the riffs. They may be noted specially at the beginning of "Dark Ark", where it seems that the verses were sung in a diferent way than the another ones. // 7

Overall Impression: The CD starts with Inflikted, the chosen song to be the first single of the band. It's enough to give a good idea of what is the Cavalera Conspiracy. But isn't just of this single that the band is made. In the another tracks of the album, Cavalera Conspiracy unleashes a lot of strong riffs, like in Sanctuary, Hex and Ultra-Violent. Bloodbrawl, Must Kill and Dark Ark are other examples of the band's force, where all that fury of Cavalera's is shown. With time, maybe some comparisons with Sepultura may be made. This new work isn't better than any of ancients Sepultura's albums, like Arise or Chaos A. D., and neither is worse. Is a new band, a new era for the Cavalera brothers to do their sound. What will happen in the future, is for the future to tell. While it don't comes, all Thrash Metal fans have the chance to hear the result of Max and Iggor's union. Cavalera Conspiracy's Inflikted is a powerful Thrash Metal CD, where the band explores a lot of different ways to create their sound through heavy notes, and the meaning of this is very clear: The Cavaleras are back! // 9

More Cavalera Conspiracy reviews rating latest review