Jupiter Review

9.9
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Jupiter Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2004

Sound: Cave In are one insanely talented band, and it shows here. Tracks like 'Brain Candle' and 'Requiem' are full of intricately-layered guitar work and bizarre (yet strangely evocative) effects. They have their own unique style that's hard to describe (Space prog? Emo core?) Bassist Caleb Scofield (from Converge, originally) is always at hand with a suitably complex bass-line, and the drumming is excellent (though a tad low in the mix). Jupiter is influenced heavily by Prog-rock, but don't let that put you off- it's akin to not liking Led Zeppelin because you didn't like the blues. If I have one gripe, it's the final track, New Moon. After we've been on a prog odyssey we now get treated to this rather simple acoustic song (some electric at the end), that would pass for brilliant, if only it was at the start of the album. This album possibly features the greatest end to a song EVER on 'Requiem' (the band indulge their Pink Floyd side). Overall, a stunning sound for a stunning album. // 10

Lyrics: Stephen Brodsky is by no means a genius lyricist, but his efforts here more than suit the job at hand. The best lyrics by far are 'Innuendo and Out the Other' and 'Jupiter'. As for his voice, it veers from the OK to the very good. On tracks like 'Big Riff' he goes from calm singing to all out enraged screaming in the space of a second, but in 'Jupiter' his voice gets a tad tiresome. Not much, but a little. Still, these minor niggles hardly affect this albums score. // 10

Overall Impression: But anyway, BUY THIS ALBUM. Do it NOW. I can't convey how good it is in a review, just buy it. The songs are all magnificent, the guitar-work stupefying, the effects amazing... I could go on. Every one of the eight tracks is pure gold, even the instrumental. Admittedly some individual trcks aren't perfect, but as a sum of its parts, this album is a classic, and I won't say that lightly. Pink Floyd? Yes? Pah. The new boys are in town, and they're here to blow you away. If someone stole this album from me I would chase them down and shoot them several times with a shotgun. NO-ONE takes this away. // 10

More Cave In reviews rating latest review