Young Pilgrim Review

9.9
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Young Pilgrim Reviewed by: calumWalton, on august 19, 2014

Sound: Charlie Simpson had been in two bands before he started releasing solo material. One of them was a pop rock band called Busted and the other was an alternative rock (and sometimes metal) band called Fightstar. "Young Pilgrim" doesn't sound like Busted or Fightstar. It is an acoustic guitar album with a very beautiful sound for the most part. The first track, "Down Down Down" will show the listener straight away that Charlie Simpson is a great songwriter who can write a great acoustic guitar song. Songs like "Thorns," "I Need a Friend Tonight" and "If I Lose It" have a nice soft sound, whereas songs like "Parachutes" and "Cemetery" have a louder, but still acoustic sound. // 10

Lyrics: Charlie's voice sounds as amazing as it always has on this album. The style of vocals is a bit different to his previous projects though, due to the overall, softer, acoustic sound of the album. It was inevitable that he was going to sound good though, due to how great he sounded on "Without You" by Busted back in 2002. The lyrics are outstanding on this album, whether he's singing about heartbreak, on "Cemetery" or the possibility of death in "If I Lose It." Charlie Simpson shows on this album that he knows how to write complex and excellent lyrics and he sounds great singing them. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my all time favourite albums, so it easily gets a perfect score from me. Each song is amazing from start to finish. I don't have anything bad to say about it. Charlie Simpson stands out among other acoustic singer-songwriters because of his unique voice and excellent lyrics. This album gets a perfect score from me because of these reasons. If you want to hear some amazingly well written and nice sounding acoustic guitar music for forty five minutes, then you should definitely give this album a listen. // 10

Comments