Grey Will Fade Review

Charlotte Hatherley: Grey Will Fade
Released: Aug 2004
Label: Double Dragon
Genres: Indie Rock
Debut solo album from Ash guitarist, Charlotte Hatherley. Featuring the single 'Summer' and the previously download-only track 'Kim Wilde'.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Grey Will Fade Reviewed by: Harmonius, on september 25, 2005

Sound: This is Charlotte Hatherley's debut album. I bought this when it came out, for whatever reason I cannot remember but I'm glad I got it. On second thoughts, I remember buying it because I saw the video to Summer and loved it. Not many people know about her debut album and the fact that she's the lead guitarist in Ash. This won't disappoint you Ash fans. Well, all I can is that I'm dead impressed by Charlotte Hatherley's sound. Me, not being a total Ash Fanatic, loved her melodic side of guitar. In Ash she was the lead guitarist, maybe a little easy on the solos, as little as they did seem to pop up. In Grey Will Fade, she has great tone and she has really impressed me on uitar. She can make great melodies out of weird chord shapes and great wacky solo's with a light crisp distorted tone, the track Summer is a perfect example of that. Her sound is very indie-alternative, I wouldn't say it was pop punkish, the guitar solos are much too good to be pop punk. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing, perhaps not exactly the best but good enough to be called amazing. In an interview once she said that her lyrics were strickly not about her personal life, more of the things she's accomplished and how her family have helped her to become the person she is, so none of these love songs, a definite pro since I cannot stand love songs, as they can get too Red Leister or even Stilton for that matter. She sings in perfect harmony and her lyrics really do go well with her melodies on guitar. The lyrics are beautiful as well as well written right from the heart. // 9

Overall Impression: It's definitely one of my favourite alternative albums, although I don't like much alternative. The most impressive songs on the album are Summer, Bastardo, Grey will fade, Paragon and Kim Wilde. Very cool indeed. There is nothing to hate about Charlotte, in other words, I love! I'll happily get another one if this was stolen. Get it now! // 9

More Charlotte Hatherley reviews rating latest review