Evolve [EP] Review

chelsea grin: Evolve [EP]
Released: June 19, 2012
Genre: Deathcore, Metalcore
Label: Artery Recordings
This has to be Chelsea Grin's best material to date. The band as a whole has improved greatly over their short career.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 7.6
 8.4
 6.8
Evolve [EP] Reviewed by: sykest70, on june 25, 2012

Sound: Chelsea Grin's new EP is nothing short of amazing. The technicality, speed, and song structures are the best in their career. While some Chelsea Grin fans will continue to b-tch about the clean vocals, I find them great, and really add a "mature" level to their music. The only thing I can complain about is Alex's screams. He sounds like Donald Duck at times, but he can now hit shrieking highs and nasty lows like in their first EP and album. He proves this by remaking "The Human Condition". // 9

Lyrics: A step up. There are great topics on this EP. Drug addictions, heartbreak, religion, etc. Here's a small sample of what's in this EP: "I lead the path unto a blackened world I drank the blood of the saints I'm a vessel of unholiness I am more than a malignant spirit I will spread my plague until the sun blacks out." Compare that to "Love is dead/You'd rather give head" from "Crewcabanger". The cleans give the songs much more depth and emotion. // 8

Overall Impression: This has to be their best material to date. The band as a whole has improved greatly over their short career. If this is what is in store for Chelsea Grin fans, then they have a long career ahead of them. // 9

Evolve [EP] Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on june 25, 2012

Sound: Once a genre with little to no variety, Deathcore seems to be slowly expanding its horizons with every release from its central bands. Suicide Silence embraced their inner Nu-metal heads, Whitechapel and Job For A Cowboy took the straight up death metal route... So where does this leave Chelsea Grin? Of all the above bands, CG remain closest to the Deathcore sound, but thanks to the addition of Born Of Osiris' Jason Richardson on guitar, they've taken on a slightly proggy, atmospheric sound this time around. The guitar playing is miles above anything the band has ever written. With insane lead melodies, off beat breakdowns, and impressive riffage. Songs such as "Lilith" and "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" show the true maturity these guys have developed. Both feature string arrangements and clean vocals (gasp!), but neither harms the material, merely lending to it and making it all the more powerful. Of course, many of CG's staples remain intact as well, such as the insane drumming, powerful breakdowns, and general heaviness. Musically, the album has slight crossover appeal to less deathcore obsessed metalheads, and will hopefully set the musical direction for the new full length. // 8

Lyrics: This was the hardest thing on the album for me to rate, hands down. The music is solid and enjoyable, and while the vocals are as well, there are some major departures from their previous vocal stylings. Alex has the same angered pig to p-ssed off Daffy Duck range, and makes use of both extremes, but the true change here (and the thing everyone seems to rag on the most) are the cleans. Yes, Deathcore and cleans don't seem to mix, but they don't over use them, which is a major plus (they're only used in two songs). Lyrically, it's pretty much the same Chelsea Grin you've always loved (or hated). Death, doom, blah blah. Album highlight Lilith is a slight departure, being possibly the heaviest break up song I've ever heard. Sample from "Lilith": "Your body is my temptress, your being is a must. I cannot live another day without you." For people who hated CG's vocals in the past, this EP probably won't change your opinion, but for those that enjoyed "My Damnation"'s vocal stylings, this should be right up your alley. // 7

Overall Impression: I cannot stress how impressed I was with this little EP. I went in expecting five tracks of by the numbers deathcore, and was pleasantly surprised with a solid, well crafted set of songs. If the band follows this trend for their next full length, these guys could easily break to the front of the Deathcore pack. Of course, being an EP, I was disappointed that it wasn't longer, but the quality of the music more than makes up for the length. Definitely a recommended buy. For fans of: Born Of Osiris, Veil Of Maya, Whitechapel. Suggested tracks: "Lilith", "S.H.O.T.", "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". // 9

More Chelsea Grin reviews rating latest review