Point #1 Review

8.6
 8.3
 8.9
Point #1 Reviewed by: ThatWouldBeJon, on august 20, 2009

Sound: At first listen you'll notice a garage/jam band kind of sounding album but soon you'll hear that distinct chevelle sound throughout the 11 track album. The brothers Pete, Joe, and Sam had been in their teens well recording this album. Point #1 has an extremely raw sound yet all intruments are as clear as you'd expect on a junior release. Intrument wise their is alot of repetetion but with petes vocal melodys it fits well. // 7

Lyrics: Petes singing and lyrics weren't very broad but indeed were quite unique and fit the guitar work very well. Pete did most of the singing and writing with joe doing some backing vocals. The lyrical content was usually about events that occured in petes life and his reactions to them. for instance "Mia" was about an ex-girlfriend of pete. Pete has a wide range of singing styles from smooth talking, to long note bending tones, and even some screams. 01.Open: a 2:00 minute instrumental intro which sets a mood to where and how the rest of the album is going to play out. 02.Point #1: being the title track you know this must song must be a stand out and it surely is. It starts soft and climaxes with petes singing and also a short melodic solo and ends with some screaming and closing riffs. 03.Prove To You: the intro puts out an almost phycedelic feel and jumps into a thick hard rockish riff, not a real stand out but still worth the listen. 04.Mia: with a quite intro and hard packed ending its easy to point out this is a chevelle song, a little repetetive but still rocks. 05.Skeptic: the ringing of feedback and palm mutes is how the song starts and it breaks into a very deep song lyricly and rythemly another stand out. 06.Anticipation: Sams drumming deffintly peaks in this song and this song has one of the simplest yet best solos on the album. A Chevelle classic. 07.Dos: the intro starts of a repetetive riff with some soft drums but then turns into a really good song. Deffinatly in the Top 3 best off album. 08.Long: easily said the heaviest song off Point #1 with very distorted guitars and great melodies this track fits well with the rest. 09.Blank Earth: Petes guitar work and vocals hit a peak in this song and blend perfectly within eachother. This song is a deffinant standout from the rest. 10.Sma: starts off with a goofy sounding off timeish riff and ends the same way. Pete had said he wrote this song about his brothers bullying around him as kids. 11.Peer: a very melo and chill song and leaves a great ending for the album. and is also the only song with joes backing vocals on the entire album. // 9

Overall Impression: Chevelle now being a leader in the alternative rock genre has its own niche out of all the other cookie cutter alternative rock bands and this release proves it. Being a long time fan of chevelle this album is a deffinant stand out from later releases because it is the only album with chevelles sound being at it's rawest. As for most impressive songs I think they are all equally impressive and unique. If you have never heard of chevelle or are a long time fan I reccomend this album to anyone. // 8

Point #1 Reviewed by: americanpig11, on may 11, 2004

Sound: This album has a pretty good sound. I wouldnt say its quite as good as Wonder whats next but it had nice hooks. Very simple but good. And example would be "open" which is just one chord but catchy. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics arent bad. Sometimes it seems he sings them just for the sake of simging them but his lyrics arent bad. I like "dos" and also mia is good. // 8

Overall Impression: This isnt as good as their follow up but comes across as great. Worth 15 dollars any day. I like 'dos' and 'point #1' a lot but 'mia' and 'prove to you' are also great. This album won two 'doves' which is like the christian version of the grammies so its not like its an awful album. Id recomend it any day. // 10

Point #1 Reviewed by: fattymcfat97, on march 29, 2005

Sound: Chevelle is a alternative rock band out of Chicago and Point #1 is their debut album and deinatley my favorite of their 3 albums. The sound is very catchy especially on "open" the 2 minute intro to "Point #1" one of my favorite songs on the album. Within this album I found one of the greatest intros to a song ever which is the intro to "Sma." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good but sometimes get kinda strange especially in "Mia." The only thing that pissed me off about this album was that chevelle signed to a Christian rock album producer so everybody thinks that their lyrics are religous so that kinda turned me off but overall they are good lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said I think this is Chevelle's best album but most people go for "Wonder What's Next." I wouldn't buy this album again mainly because its on my laptop and I could just burn it onto a blank disc but if it wasn't I would buy it again. Other then the whole Christian rock thing this is a very good album and if you like alternative rock or metal you should definately buy it. // 10

Point #1 Reviewed by: registered_user, on june 05, 2007

Sound: Point #1 is chevelle's first widely released album. It sets a foundation for the band's sound and offers a small taste of what's to come from them in the future. They use the same type of sound throughout the album which is this kind of synthetic acoustic type thing. The riffs can get repetetive as they sometimes just take one of the acoustic riffs and put distortion over it and call it a new song. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much typical chevelle type lyrics. Pete La Fleur uses phrases that rarely rhyme but still flow nicely. The subjects of his songs usually revolve around someone else (a girl most likely) being empty headed and not thinking. Pete does have a good voice and his sound is a good match for the type of music that chevelle creates. // 8

Overall Impression: If I were to stack up all of the chevelle albums I've listened to with detail (all except Vena Sera), then this would probably be at the bottom. Their sound is too rough and doesnt't go heavy enough a lot of the time. Wonder what's Next was a great improvement over this album because the guitar riffs are catchier and more distinguishable from one another. When I listen to this album straight through it sometimes can feel like a big blur of the same song with pauses in between. If I lost this album I probably wouldn't replace it because of the have other chevelle albums that are more of what I would want to hear from them. // 6

More Chevelle reviews rating latest review
+ La Gargola 8.5 04/09/2014