This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Review

chevelle: This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In
Released: Sep 21, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal
This Type of Thinking is flatly mixed, lost in depression, and obsessed with rewriting "Sober" for a new generation of lank-haired misunderstoods.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.1
 9.5
 8.7
This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: Paroxysm, on september 22, 2004

Sound: Finally after 2 years, I get to see what the Loefflers have come up with now. Pete uses baritone guitars for the whole album, so heavy gutiar riffs was expected, and he done a damn good job with it. Joe give us faster, harder bass riffs, and Sam give us a lot of good drum works here (also uses double basses for this album). The songs that stand out the most to me are The Clincher, Still Running (new version), Panic Prone, Another Know It All, and Emotional Drought. But all the other songs are just as good too. // 10

Lyrics: Typical Pete's lyrics, they match go well with the music. His voice improves every album as it seem. His melodic vocals shine in Panic Prone and To Return, while his screams just smack us in the face in Emotional Drought and Another Know It All. Joe done a pretty good job too. // 10

Overall Impression: All the songs are fantasic, and Chevellve proves that they could stay in the game with more new and fresh music. Though Pete still doesn't do any solos for this album, the heavy riffs and vocals completely make us forget about it. One of the best CD right now, and I'm happy to own one. Chevelle rocks! // 10

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on december 27, 2005

Sound: Chevelle's spin on nu-metal/hard rock sounds and music is pleasing for what is around today in forms of music. Their interesting blend of running rhythms and lyrical variations make for an on-going pleasing experience to any listener. Repetition is common for Chevelle in verses and choruses but they are arranged so nicely, you don't mind. The real stand-out of Chevelle's sound is Pete Loeffler's (aka Pete Chevelle on the booklet) vocal contributions. The only problem with Chevelle is that the drums are always at a lower volume compared to the driving guitar and this occasionally happens with the bass also. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark, moody, and often powerful in meaning and in how they are represented by Pete. The lyrics and music obviously fit together due to their dark nature. Pete is one of my favorite vocalists today which is hard to get that spot with me. Most music today has vocalists who have whiny, pre-pubescent screaming voices while Pete has a very mature tone and powerful impact in any word he says. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this CD to any other because this is totally different from anything else I listen to. Some highly acclaimed songs by myself are 'Panic Prone,' 'Get Some,' 'Still Running,' and 'Tug-o-War.' I also like the songs that are listed on the album cover such as 'The Clincher' and 'Vitamin R.' I love how this CD just all around kicks major ass compared to other bands out today. It's got hard-rocking, powerful, and great music. I love every second on this album and I treasure it in times of being unsure, insecure, or just feeling badly. I would most definately buy this album again even if it cost me something more than it. It's totally worth everything you put into it. // 10

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: Primis, on september 23, 2004

Sound: Chevelle has really grown since Point #1 two albums ago, and this album is a reflection of that. Everything has ben tightened down and nothing is held back production-wise. This is flat-out modern progressive hard rock. There are hints of Tool, Finger Eleven, Staind, The Nixons, Cold and more in here, while still staying very much a Chevelle effort. The Drop-D days of "Mia" and "Prove To You" are cleary gone and the result is a harsher, more-aggressive sound. This is what happens when you're not afraid to learn from other bands (which Chevelle has done any time they've toured with someone). // 10

Lyrics: The album falters a bit here. I don't listen to Chevelle for deep, inspiring lyrics anyways, but lyrically this album is often flat and feel forced and a bit generic. Pete's incredible voice can only help so much. Oh there are some really good lyrics on here in places. When Petes sings "Tending your wounds / Thinking of adding another" on the track "Another Know It All" the mental imagery abounds. But overall I think the lyrics were a bit better on Wonder What's Next and could be better here. Pete's singing and delivery is just amazing as usual though. // 6

Overall Impression: Still a really good album, was well worth the wait. If Wonder What's Next was a hint at where Chevele was heading, This Type Of Thinking is a loud proclamation of it having now arrived. Chevelle fans will be quite pleased. Other true Hard Rock fans need to check it out, even if you didn't like previous stuff, because they're still evolving. Tight songwriting, some of the best vocals around, and a unique sound all add up to This Type of Thinking causing quiet a stir and being one of the best albums of the year so far. // 8

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: Alone2Bleed, on september 24, 2004

Sound: Chevelle's third studio album, the band itself is great, all their other albums are great too (Point#1 and Wonder Whats Next) but this one is the best. There efforts to create a harder albums succeeded, songs like 'Get Some' and 'Still Running' really get hard with the double bass pedals and palm mutes. Oh yea and to anyone who reads this and likes to post tabs up for them, please put it in the right tuning, Point #1 is in C, Wonder Whats next is in B, and this album is in A, very low tuning, only a few bands use this tuning, but Pete pulls it off perfectly. Overall the album is the best one out there right now, in my opinion, they did not disappoint me at all with this one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have gotten a little but more complex in terms of word use. Although it does sound like a lot like Tool at points if you listen to them. But nevertheless it is Chevelle, so they really sound the same as the other albums. The lyrics go good in most of the songs, never really letting you get bored in the middle of the songs. Pete's voice has progressed a lot more, if you listen to the first album his voice wasn't all that great, but I was really impressed. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was the most impressive in a long time, dealing with all the f***ing 'THE' bands, I can't take it, so it was time for another rock album to come out and hit the billboards. Like I said this is probably their best one yet, I don't think they can get any better. The best songs on the album are probably, 'The Clincher', 'Get Some', 'Vitamin R', 'Still Running', 'To Return' and for the softer side of Chevelle would be 'Bend the Bracket'. The thing I love about it, is that they give you the hard stuff, but still are able to add some melody, and some acoustic guitar. There is really nothing to hate about it, only if your not a Chevelle fan, but if you are wondering about buying this album or not, trust me it is worth the 12 bucks. // 10

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2004

Sound: For 3 people, this band has impressive sound. The guitar is wonderful, the bass is present but not overbearing, and the drums mesh perfectly with the vocals and the other instruments. Sometimes, the sound gets a little repetitive, but to me, that means I can always count on Chevelle for their classic sound. Another issue that I had was that when I first heard the single Vitamin R, I thought it was a song by Tool. It was the sound of the lead singer's voice, which I must say is very attractive and catchy. Standout tracks for sound include: Still Running, Breach Birth, Panic Prone and Bend The Bracket. The Clincher gets an honorable mention for hooking me on the cd after only the first song. // 10

Lyrics: The singer definitely takes his voice along with the lyrics. The best example I can think of would be Panic Prone. His voice is strong without screaming, and it has a bit of an emo feel. My only criticism would be that he screams a bit too often and should sing more. He has a wonderful voice that is well suited to singing and not so much to yelling. I guess if you like "hard" music then the screaming would be good, but I think the guitars take care of the "hard" aspect. Get Some is a standout vocal track, and so is Panic Prone. This time, The Clincher gets more than an honorable mention. It's vocals and lyrics are brilliant. Overall, I'll give it a 4 because I'm not so much a fan of the screaming. // 8

Overall Impression: Sounds a lot like Tool. I knew the band was Chevelle, but if I tuned out and started listening again, I almost got confused. The cd lives up to and indeed surpasses its single, just like Wonder What's Next. Vitamin R was only the beginning of a great disc. The album had many similarities to their sophomore release in that their single was track 3, the best three songs were right in a row, they had great guitar riffs, and the last song was mellow. I've always thought that a cd that ended with a slow song ended well, and this disc lives up to that expectation. Overall, I would say this disc is definitely a follow-up to WWN, and I would buy it again if I lost it. I would also recommend it to any Chevelle fan, as it goes along with their signature sound. Two thumbs up. // 10

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is what stands out the most. The guitar sounds so great. The drums are also very well done especially now that there is some double-kicking in the songs, which makes the songs so much better. You can tell that the Loeffler brothers took so much time and energy to make the music sound so good. The music is so much louder and more clearer than the band's previous album, Wonder What's Next. There are some Tool-like riffs in this album, but that just one show's Chevelle's influences. I don't klnow any other band out there right now that can play like Chevelle, they are just too good. // 10

Lyrics: Pete Loeffler, in my opinion, is one of the best songwriters in the rock genre. His lyrics are deep, dark, and very well written. This was the only problem though: the meanings were hard to discover in most of the songs. So many different areas are covered on this album. For example, the album's first single Vitamin R (Leading Us Along), is about how so many abuse the drug Ritalin. And you may not know this, but Get Some is about how the American Idol singers use songs, instead of creating their own material. Still Running is a motivational song about never giving up, and moving forward. Otherwise, the lyrics are very well hidden. but that doesn't make the songs bad. I don't think these lyrics were well placed on this album then they were on Wonder What's Next, but they are still very good. As for the vocals, two words: truely beautiful. Pete's voice has improved so much since the last album. He sings with so much emotion, and can hit the high range areas too. He screams so hard, which is so cool. And, you can hear what hes saying when he screams, its not like some loud noise. The best vocal performances on this Cd are shown in Panic Prone, To Return, and Breach Birth. But in every song Pete never disappoints you, his vocals just keep getting better and better. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this has become one of my all-time favorite albums in my collection right now. All of the songs have potential of being a radio hit, and thats very rare. My most favorite songs are Still Running, Vitamin R, Gey Some, and To Return. But I like every song on here. If you are a huge Chevelle fan like me, get this album. If you're a hard rock fan, get this album. Tust me, you will not be disappointed. // 10

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: thedeucemoose, on february 14, 2005

Sound: This album sounds so awesome. Pete tunes really low on his guitar, but it's still audible and you can hear really well what he's playing. The same can probably be said about the bass. The drums are what have really improved, though. The guy can really make use of the double bass. But he doesn't go a million miles an hour; he uses it in a way that fits the songs. So all in all, the sound and musicianship is excellent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark most of the time, but not depressing. My favorite songs lyrics wise are probably The Clincher, Get Some, Still Running, and Panic Prone. Pete is a great singer, especially considering that he plays guitar too. He can go from excellent singing to harsh screaming in a second as well. // 10

Overall Impression: One of my favorite rock albums of the past few years. Chevelle improves with every album as evidenced by their past two releases. All of the songs are great, but my personal favorites are The Clincher, Get Some, Still Running, Panic Prone, Breach Birth, and Another Know It All. I love how much they've improved with their instruments and are really defining their style. I can't think of anything bad about this album at all. If it were stolen or I lost it, I'd buy it again without hesitation. You should buy this CD! // 10

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2005

Sound: Chevelle is my all time favorite band. I listen to it all the time, and when I burn CD's I don't add Chevelle cause they sound so much different and I view them much more different then other bands. This album is awesome. I loved their new virsion of still running. This CD is even more hard rocking then the other ones. I think they play alot better in this CD too. They sound so awsome too. They have lots of feeling in their music. // 10

Lyrics: Chevelle always has unique lyrics, they dont have strait out meaning, it takes some thinking for you too figure out what they are singing about. But you never really care cause the music is so good. And when you listen to the lyrics its really good too. All the lyrics work really good with the music and Pete always gives great feelings to his songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before this is my all time favorite band and I like them more and more. Their music is so great all around, all their other CDs are awesome too. I rotate them to keep everything fresh and I can listen to 1 CD for months. This is definatly a band worth checking out if you haven't heard of them before. I actually feel sorry for those who love rock and haven't heard of Chevelle. // 10

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: AmpedCam, on october 17, 2005

Sound: This album should of been titled awesome, the sound in this little CD rocked. All instruments were beutiful and clear. You can hear the difference between an open E and and an E on the first fret. No fuzz or scratchy instrument blends. From the hardcore opener "The Clincher" to the mild "Bend The Bracket," it's beautiful the whole way through. // 10

Lyrics: Once again awesome. Chevelle really knows what they are doing. Pete can really yell with out making your ears bleed. For a 3-man-band Chevelle can really rock. The lyrics go along with the music well and after 10 minutes of listening you can really start to get into it and sing along. // 10

Overall Impression: I dont know why this album didnt go platnum along with wonder whats next. I think it's impossible to get tired of listening to it. And dont think that the only good songs are "The Clincher" and "Vitamin R," this sounds more like a "Best Of" album rather than an ordinary. I'd have to say my favorite song on this CD is "Another Know It All," but dont get me wrong, this CD is a perfect 10. // 10

This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In Reviewed by: Let it Happen, on december 03, 2005

Sound: Chevelle has really evolved as a band. They came off a totally horrible first release, Point # 1, where everything just sucked. It was funny. I'd turn that on just to get a few laughs. But they are no laughing matter now, and are now a major force to be reckoned with. If you liked Wonder What's Next, you will love this album. It's full of massive, arm waving choruses, impressive guitar riffs in drop A#, and sweeping melodies. The sound is post-grunge, indie rock. If you love big, heavy guitar riffs, you will be listening to this album alot. In one or two songs they can get a little repetitive, but it's not bad. Also, this album sounds great in a car with subs. If you have subs in your car, put this album in to get some serious vibrations. Overall, the album's sound is distinctly Chevelle and is quite impressive. Guitar god John Petrucci liked the guitar tone on the album so much that he even called Pete Loeffler (Chevelle's guitarist/vocalist) to ask how he did it! So yeah, the sound is great, you won't be disappointed. // 9

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were great. They tend to be very vague and ambiguous, like most post-grunge stuff. They are sung very emotionally, which adds a lot of meaning though. They are mostly observations about other people or society in general. But they are still from a personal perspective, not a political one. So don't be in fear of yet another band trying to go political on their fans. The lyrics fit the songs perfectly, mostly due to the great emotional singing of Loeffler. Loeffler sounds great on the album, whether he be screaming at the top of his lungs, seething through clenched teeth, or just singing a simple melody. // 9

Overall Impression: This album compares very well with Wonder What's Next, only it's more evolved and sounds a little better. Some songs that really stand out on the record are The Clincher, Vitamin R (Leading Us Along), and Still Running. All these songs have great catchy choruses and riffs. Another song that really stands out is Another Know It All, due to the chorus of nothing but screaming and double bass. I love how the music is so emotional. Loefler really makes the band with his great vocal abilites. Music is an emotional tool, and Chevelle keeps it that way. If I had to change one thing, that would probably be a little less repetition in the verses of Tug-O-War and Emotional Drought, but that's just a minor complaint, they're still great songs. I would definitely buy this album again if I lost it, but I would get it in DualDisc form. That way I could see how they made the album and some of their videos. Give this album a try if you like down tuned heavy riffs, talented vocals, some screaming, and great melodies. The only thing the album doesn't deliver on is soloing. So if your into alot of lead guitar, this album won't be the best choice for you. However, I'd like to mention that the album doesn't need solos. The album has it's own sound, and is not missing anything. Overall, this is a great modern rock album. // 9

More Chevelle reviews rating latest review
+ La Gargola 8.5 04/09/2014