Wonder What's Next Review

Lyrics: 8.3
 8.6
 8.1
Wonder What's Next Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 07, 2004

Sound: Beginning with a smooth intro, you get the impression of a mellow album, but suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, the sounds of guitar, bass, and drums fill your head and you realize that this is going to be a wonderful album. The vocalist has an original sound, as well as the other instruments. Possibly comparable to Tool or Pantera, but has a Nu-Metal sound that catches you. And even if you hate nu-metal, you will love Wonder What's Next. // 10

Lyrics: Some lyrics are difficult to descipher, but, without a doubt, the writer had deep feelings on the subjects, even if he is the only one who knows what the meaning is. But other songs on this album have obvious meanings, such as Wonder What's Next, which speaks of the corrupt faces of the music industry. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, this band is comparable to Tool or Pantera, but with a touch of Alt Rock. I love the great guitar riffs, and the lack of solos is made up for with outstanding vocals and drums. The bassist is not overlooked, either. My definate favorites are Closure, Wonder What's Next, The Red, and Grab Thy Hand. This is one of the greatest albums I own, and I will listen to it for years to come. // 10

Wonder What's Next Reviewed by: spoonman017, on january 06, 2004

Sound: This CD caught on to me the second I listened to it. It begins with the strange intro to "Family System", and then like a door slamming in your face, you get a taste of the heavier side of Chevelle. Most of Wonder What's Next is Nu-Metalish... but it begs for your head to be banged. You almost can't help, but to do it. There are no real solos in the CD, but Chevelle makes up for it with the awesome riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Pete Loeffler is often compared to the vocalist of Tool. He has that really high voice, but can scream when needed. Some of the lyrics are really vague and don't appear to make sense, but there are some really great songs with deep meanings, like "Closure" and "One Lonely Visitor". Pete covers more topics than most Nu-Metal bands do... He even attacks the music industry with the title track, "Wonder What's Next". Like I said earlier, he can sing really soft and high. Pete sings (well) to suit to the mood of the song, which not many do anymore... But for all melancholy singing, there is twice as much screaming. Pete is one of the best screamers I have heard lately. // 8

Overall Impression: I have had this CD since it's release, and I still listen to it. It is just one of those CD's that never ever get old. There is always this new feeling to it. If you didn't know, Chevelle is made of 3 brothers. You can kind of sense their relation in the song "Family System". I used to have this CD burned, but I bought it shortly after because it was well worth the money. Wonder What's Next is also great live, proving that Pete Loeffler is a great singer and guitarist. There aren't any gimicks, or many effects... it's just good ole metal. The CD is only 11 tracks, but those 11 tracks are probably the best you will hear in a while. // 10

Wonder What's Next Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: Released in '02, but boost in '03 have to say most refreshing sounds of the year. Very heavy song 'Grab Thy Hand' aweome guitar and bad bad bass. Two guitar on 'Don't Fake This' I bet you've never heard that before great intro. Also creative intro on 'Closure' one of my all time favorite on this cd. The whole sounds astonishing and original. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are allright but it matches with guitar riffs amazingly well Such as songs like Send the Pain Below, Closure, The Red, Don't Fake This, Grab Thy Hand, Comfortable Liar and One Lonely Visitor. Vocals are excellent. Like other review said it's more like Nu-metal but it sounds original. After long long a loooong time a good Rock cd. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall better than Foofighter cd. 7 songs out of 11 you can't get in todays cd. I gotta tell you guys this artist is on rise you should have this cd 'cos I wonder what's next could be after good reviews from everywhere their fame could go into flame like every other artist had, so must own this cd. // 10

Wonder What's Next Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: Chevelle's Wonder What's Next album is right off the back, awesome! The guitar chords, with a solid bass, and heavy drumbeats give a smashing alternative rock sound that all ages would like. I find it stunning how these three brothers manage to display a great output of music and let it flow so natural. When it seems Pete (guitar/vocal) is playing complex guitar riffs it is in fact very simple. Overall the band's 11 songs including hits such as "The Red" and "Send The Pain Below" are instrumentally intense. // 10

Lyrics: Pete (vocalist) sings to the band's songs with a smooth rock tone. With a huge array of change, Chevelle's lyrics are perfect for their music. The rythem can be slow and calm as in "One Lonely Visitor" and the next minute fast with an upbeat tempo as in "Wonder Whats Next." If you like change and not a monotone sound "Wonder What's Next" is the album to get! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definatly worth your money. Chevelle's "Wonder What's Next" album already has air play for 3 of their 11 songs and I wouldn't be surprised if you hear more on the radio soon. Compared to other artist, you wont find a closer match to pure lyrics and some good rock. Trust*Company is another personal favorite but still is not as intense as Chevelle. If you havent heard this CD yet give it a try and you'll get hooked to songs like "Closure" and "The Red." Well Rock On! // 10

Wonder What's Next Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2004

Sound: This music has some really good screaming. I don't usually like screaming, but this singer vocal guy is pretty good. He is like sonny's screaming from POD you can always understand him. Some of the lyrics did not make sense. they sounded tight but at the same time seemed very unrelated to anything. They had a good couple interesting songs. // 8

Lyrics: The screaming was awesome. the red was the best song on the cd. It had the right amount of screaming to reflect the anger but had some calmer parts in it. Like I said earlier, a lot of the lyrics were hard to get and they sometimes did not make sense. // 6

Overall Impression: This band is not as good as some of the other bands I've heard, but then again they are doing their own type of rock. I really like this cd. I do not think they have very good acoustic abilities. // 6

Wonder What's Next Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2005

Sound: Even though they are nu-metal I like them. They are 3 brothers in a band, which for me would be hard to do. So I can respect them not only for their music but for the chance that they took. I can honestly say that this is one of the best nu-metal records I own. It's a strong album and it's got a great sound. I love the heavy fuzzy distorted guitars and I love the warm clean tones the guitarist makes. If you listen to Send The Pain Below, Closure, or Don't Fake This, you will know what I'm talking about. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were strong but not the best. I love the singers voice. He has a good scream too. The lyrics go exceptionally well with the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Gotta love this album. This is honestly in with the better bunch of bad and overrated nu-metal bands there are. My favorite songs are Family System, Send The Pain Below, Closure, The Red, WWN, Grab Thy Hand, and One Lonely Visitor. If someone stole it I would strangle them with my bare hands. If I lost it I would buy 2 copies, one for me and 1 for a friend. Go get it now! // 10

Wonder What's Next Reviewed by: supreemo, on january 14, 2006

Sound: This is Chevelle's sophomore. I find this CD is heavy but it also has it's share of not-heavy songs. Peter Leoffleur is an amazing guitarist, just look at his works in "Family System," "Wonder What's Next," "The Red" and "Grab Thy Hand." I love how pete can scream or sing with a heavy riff or a soft riff, like in "Grab Thy Hand." I'm not sure I agree witrh "Closure" as a single since I don't really like the song that much. They should've used "Wonder What's Next." Chevelle sound on this cd is very melodic but at the same time heavy, like Tool or Disturbed. I love Pete's voice, he is my favorite vocalist. His guitar playing is nothing short or incredible. Although I don't his acoustic work in "One Lonely Visitor," some of you may be looking forward to it after litening to "Bend The Bracket" on ttotcdui but let me tell you it is not anything special. It's very low quality and both his acoustic and his voice sound really bad, plus the screaming just throws off everything. // 9

Lyrics: Peter is a pretty good lyricist. I didn't know this until I saw the interview but "The Red" is actually about anger and fury that people live through. I think his lyrics are better on "This Type Of Thinking" but his lyrics have always blended nicely with the music, which really is what you want. My favorite line is "We play the blaming game, yes I mind, it's not you're turn." I don't know why, but it just sounds cool. Especially when he screams it. All in all his lyrics are pretty good, they get better though. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definitly a landmark Chevelle CD but I don't think it is the greatest CD they have made. The best songs are "Family System," "Comfortable Liar," "The Red," "Wonder What's Next," "Forfeit" and "Grab Thy Hand." I love the massivly heavy riffs, I hate the acoustic song ('cause it sucks, don't get me wrong, I love acoustic). This CD is good but if you want real Chevelle magic get "This Type Of Thinking." // 9

More Chevelle reviews rating latest review
+ La Gargola 8.5 04/09/2014